DVLA stupidity!

DirtyDT
This post is 3489 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have had RD400-1 SORN since I the old tax ran out in January. I just went to tax it and the DVLA site informs me that since the bike isn't SORN and hasn't been taxed since January I might get communication from the enforcement people (I am sure that means a fine). I am sure it was SORN'ed so I check back through my emails and, lo and behold, there is an email confirming the bike was SORN'ed on 29th January.

The road tax website has a helpline number so I call it, after much pressing of numbers to make sure I get through to the right person, a message telling me the call will be recorded and many messages to tell me they are very busy I get through to a person. I explain about the bike and the SORN and offer to read out the reference number - but she doesn't have access to that screen so there is no point, I am then told that because of a new keeper the SORN ceased. I am the new keeper!

Although I became the new keeper on 14th January, I SORN'ed the bike on 29th January and the tax ran out on 31st January, because the last keeper didn't send the docs off or the DVLA didn't get around to registering me as the new keeper until after I had SORN'ed the bike, the SORN stopped. I am sure that if I had left the SORN until I received the V5 they would be sending the boys 'round for no tax in February.

If they think they are going to fine me they are sadly mistaken.

I am not sure what this means in the new system. You can't currently tax a vehicle until the V5 is in your name. You can't use a vehicle on the road unless it is taxed. If you SORN a vehicle and they haven't changed the details on the V5 then that will stop as soon as you are the new keeper. Tax can not be transferred under the new system. :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yeah. Bad system if your selling privately. Makes things really difficult unless their is a grace period.

Being cynical though(me! No) it means people using dealerships. At the very least second hand dealers. Will make avoiding the sharks and finding a good old car harder. Unless the seller brings it to you when its being sold.

Yeah right.

It will put older cars off the road as they will be scrapped instead. Which i think is very much the point.

They don't know their arse from their elbow.

I had a 'fine' off of them (unenforceable in court anyway) for not sorning, sent them a copy of the proof of sorn anyway (btw a judge won't hold it against you if it was mislaid) and told them any further correspondence and I charge them.

A disgraceful 'agency', ran by chancers and aided and abetted by idiots in government.

i have an untaxed bike in my shed and i have never had anything from the tax oriface about it.

by the way , hi pilningas will we see you at squires this year old boy.

i have an untaxed bike in my shed and i have never had anything from the tax oriface about it.

by the way , hi pilningas will we see you at squires this year old boy.

D'ya know what, I keep thinking, should I or shouldn't I?

It all depends on work, if I think next week is going to be silly, it's a no; but maybe if monday looks sensible I might come up.

I discovered on Monday that my bike was 4 months without an MOT. Had to ring round to get someone to do it that day, all passed although they did say the front tyre was pretty much on the limit.

You would have thought that some government agency would have come after me within that time period...

The mot is next.

Speed cameras already pick up on mot and insurance lacking vehicles.

They just cant issue the ticket. It has to be done by an officer. For now.

I hope there isn't any retrospective ticket issuing...

In Northern Ireland we always got a reminder when an MOT was due to expire (we also didn't need one until after 4 years rather than 3), but it seems on the mainland that the onus is on the owner to know when its needed, perhaps fair enough but when you have a memory like a sieve... well...

Sorry to hear this Dirty it's the sort of thing that really pisses people off. All this bother because the last keeper didn't pull his finger out.

• Like 1

lol you know what they say about be people with 6 bikes...... big garage :icon_wink:

Or 2 sheds :lol: I don't know how Tommy10bikes manages.
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear this Dirty it's the sort of thing that really pisses people off. All this bother because the last keeper didn't pull his finger out.

Don't worry, I am not paying anything for this. It isn't my fault so I should be fining the last keeper or the DVLA.

I got a letter from the DVLA today about this. It has the word "apologise" in it and they say they have amended their records to show the SORN had been valid until I taxed it.

Credit where it's due, good work from the DVLA!

Not really DT, they after all are paid to do this, it's only cos you contacted them that they thought they could make a bit more cash. As usual you have to prove your innocent not them proving your guilty. :shakeno:

True but if you believe half the things on the tinterweb, most people spend their lives fighting some injustice from the Government or big Corps!