xj600s Diversion '92. overheating

elezdee25
This post is 3506 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

As the title says: i have an overheating problem with my '92. Diversion. Obviously there isn't much to be done about it since it is an air-cooled engine but i was hoping to get any useful advice.

I live in a warm region on the Adriatic sea, with high summer temperatures, so during the summer my bike gets so hot after 2 minutes of riding that it chokes whenever i'm under 3,500 rpm (causes a lot of uneccesary traffic-light-to-traffic-light racing due to the fact that every other bike thinks i'm teasing them). after 8 years i got used to this problem but i feel that there must be something that can be done about it.

Ideas are, as far as i've heard: installing an oil-cooler (is there any pre-made for this bike?), removing the air-filter (tried it, helps a bit when the engine already starts choking but it is not a long-term solution) or not riding it in the summer (well, that is kinda out of the question)

Any advices, ideas, anything?

Thank you in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello and welcome to the YOC. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions to help with your bike's overheating problem, but I can recommend an introduction. You're more likely to get some responses if you introduce yourself in the new member section. :) hope you get it sorted as it's no fun having a bike you can't ride.

Are you sure its the bike overheating.

Sounds more like the carbs/fuel is overheating. Bike manufacturers test for this type of thing so it should be ok.

Bikes in hot air need a much leaner mixture as hot air contains less oxygen. With the point you mentioned about the air filter sort of proving it.

Those engines are bomb proof so some fiddling wont hurt it. My choice would be lowering the jet needle one notch and see what the effect is. That should lean out the low to midrange leaving you safe with full throttle.

Yeah my best guess as well is the fuelling, you could fit a fan from another bike on it but to be honest it would look an bit of a dogs dinner. You might also try a thinner oil as that will cool the engine better than a standard oil if your using a 20/50 try a 10/40.

Yeah my best guess as well is the fuelling, you could fit a fan from another bike on it but to be honest it would look an bit of a dogs dinner. You might also try a thinner oil as that will cool the engine better than a standard oil if your using a 20/50 try a 10/40.

well, i'm already using the 10/40

Are you sure its the bike overheating.

Sounds more like the carbs/fuel is overheating. Bike manufacturers test for this type of thing so it should be ok.

Bikes in hot air need a much leaner mixture as hot air contains less oxygen. With the point you mentioned about the air filter sort of proving it.

Those engines are bomb proof so some fiddling wont hurt it. My choice would be lowering the jet needle one notch and see what the effect is. That should lean out the low to midrange leaving you safe with full throttle.

well, spitting on the engine (what a method!) makes a "lovely" fizzy sound and makes the spit vapourise instantly the moment it touches the engine. However, I shall try to dabble with the needles (4 carbs) and see what that will do.

Thank you guys... I'll keep ya'll posted if I do/don't get rid of the problem.

Oh, one more thing: the fuel heating could be the main issue since this engine has an :crazy: interesting design :crazy: . The oil from the engine has a cannal that drives the oil through the carbs thus either cooling the oil or pre-heating the fuel. Jamming that would be great to stop the fuel from heating :eusa_think: , but then the oil... oh, the :madflame: oil :madflame: would boil (nothing says it like rhyme).

I'll see if the needle-job will do the trick first.

Something to check is if the bike is an import originally meant for somewhere cooler.

That oil pipe sounds like anti icing kit.

Something to check is if the bike is an import originally meant for somewhere cooler.

That oil pipe sounds like anti icing kit.

I tried to do that but it has a 9-digit VIN :eusa_doh: , therefore making it virtually impossible to find that out on-line... i'll hop down to the local Yamaha Shop and see if they can check it out.

I tried to do that but it has a 9-digit VIN :eusa_doh: , therefore making it virtually impossible to find that out on-line... i'll hop down to the local Yamaha Shop and see if they can check it out.

No not impossible just more difficult. You have to reasearch it more efficiently. Manuals set out prefixes and engine numbers as well as some parts manuals. Its not as complete as a modern vin but it can be done.

Put your chassis number up except the last 3 numbers and see what we can find.

You can do what you wanted with the oil, though. In the US, the 92-98 Diversion was known as the Seca II. It came with a different carb bank that did NOT run the oil through the carbs. Pretty much everyone else (including Canada) had that option, but not the US. It's meant to help the carbs warm up faster. You can just block it off. It'll make for longer warm-ups on cold mornings, but that doesn't sound like an issue for you. Here in the US, we commonly change the pilot jets to richen it a bit so it doesn't take 10 minutes to warm up because they're so lean from the factory.

On the other side of the world, the Diversion came from the factory with an oil cooler installed starting in '96, I believe. There were no considerable changes made to the bike or engine design through the bikes whole life, though, so if you find one used somewhere, you can put it on any XJ600 Diversion/Seca II. It uses an adapter plate installed behind the oil filter to attach 2 hoses that run straight up the frame to a small radiator installed on the front of the frame behind the forks just below the tree.

Check out XJRider.com, and you might find someone selling one there, or at least more info as I'm sure I remember someone saying they did it before.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online