New rider from High Wycombe

This post is 3496 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all Just a quick Introduction on the fourom for a soon to be rider.

I am a 20 year old father of one and work in IT looking to start a new lifestyle as a motocyclist rather than a public transport jocky :D.

However as being a new rider I do have one question I am looking at a YBR as a first bike and I am wondering should I buy new ?

I will get between 2-3 years out of it before I can move on to a full A licence anyway however being my first bike Im likely to drop it ect however I do have a 2 years manufacture warrenty plus a year of roadside recovery. Did any one here buy new for there first bike and would they recommend it ? (bearing in mind finance repayment = my monthly bus fair lol)

Glad to meet you all and hope to see you on the road soon :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome!

I wouldn't buy new for a first bike. Only my opinion but think you'd be better off with a second hand bike to make mistakes on. I appreciate you'd have warranty for mechanical errors etc but this wouldn't normally cover operator error! As you say you are likely to drop her in the first few years either by your own fault or by the hands of some idiot on the road in a cage. Fixing a second hand bike is far cheaper than a brand new bike. Also bear in mind depreciation on a new bike if you are planning on selling a 3 year old bike later. My 20 year old SR cost me around £500 nearly 2 years ago and hasn't lost a lot of value since then and has not cost me hardly anything since buying her.

Yea that was my thinking until l went into my yamaha dealership and sat on the 2014 model , That thing is sexy for a little 125 and with only a £700 differnce between new and low milage used. (2550 new Plus you get your CBT refunded) The sales bloke made a real good argument for new lol I just needed a Sanity check I mean at the end of the day it is just a stop gap untill I can get the beautiful Suzuki GSX650f or a Yammaha equivilant. Ill have to look at insurance quotes on older models to see what the difference is. Im still in two minds about buying new and the Financing would lessen the upfront cost of insurance gear and bike.

Hello and welcome.
I'd echo everything Andrew has said. The YBR is a great choice and you would have wide selection on the secondhand market. You can pick up a good clean 2 to 3 year old example with history privately for about £1200 - 1300. Take your time in looking around as they are plentiful. Bear in mind that quite a few will have been neglected/ragged and dropped but there are minters out there. Spares are cheap and widely available if you are going to do your own maintenance. Engines have a reputation as bulletproof. Should you want the security of buying from a dealer be prepared to pay a significant premium. Whatever you buy, stay safe and be prepared to be amazed at the antics of car drivers.

Hi G1hsg and thanks :D Ive heard horror stories my missus Dad has a 600CC Honda and he has stories of people litrally running into the back of him stationary at a red light.Or trying to overtake him to the point its dangerous and nearly pushing him of the road simply because they dont like to be behind bikes.

Hi, I bought a brand new shiny YBR about 3 week's ago. For me personally I went new because I don't really know anything about bikes and therefore had no I idea what to look for on a used bike.

I like the fact that I'm the only one that's used it, but it's a bit of a pain breaking in the engine!

:welcome:

:wavey: welcome aboard!

Greetings, had a couple new bikes way back when but don't buy new now, take your time and look around for a good second hand bike.

What Andrew says makes a lot of sense but then it would as he is an Elvis fan after all.

Hi and welcome ,got to agree if your just using the bike to get your time in then used is the way to go,the money you save can go to getting your full licence and on to the bike you realy want,you will be board with the 125 in short time.The other thing with new is that's it fuel injected so when something breaks your back to the dealer and after your warrenty is up it can get costly

Welcome!

Different people have different views. As most of the others have said on here, absolutely nothing wrong with second hand examples. The YBR is a cracking bike with a bullet-proof engine. Plenty of crap versions for sale, but plenty of decent ones ridden by older people wanting to get their full licence (for example mine, lol).

Personally, I bought new. My YBR was a 12 plate and I couldn't fault it. My reasons for buying new were:

- personally I don't care about depreciation or up-front cost.

- I wanted something to call my own, and not ragged to death by a spotty youth. If it broke, it was probably my own fault, and thus a good learning curve.

- I haven't a clue about maintenance, and although I'm slowly learning I wanted my time spent riding, not fixing things.

- I had a long commute on my bike down some pretty quiet country roads at unsociable hours and in any weather. 80 mile round trip in fact, so I definitely wanted something I could trust.

Ultimately, whether you choose old or new, enjoy it, and stay safe!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online