XJ 600 diversion help

beemer328
This post is 3485 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I have just bought a 1997 XJ 600 s diversion, its immaculate with 12000 miles on it. In the last year it has done 30 miles and the year before about 100. when the owner started it before I went to look at it it would not tick over under 2500 revs he drained the carbs and then gave it a run and it now ticks over fine but is a little bit lumpy in the lower (up to about 3500 rpm) rev range. I am assuming the carbs need cleaning but I dont want to take them apart. Is there any petrol additive anyone can recomend that I could try to see if that would cure the problem before having to get the carbs cleaned. Thanks in advance, Gary

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try Redex petrol system cleaner. Give it a double dose then go take it for a blast up the nearest motorway.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not be discouraged if none of those 2 work, cause i've been looking for solutions to a similar problem. I keep running into a similar answer to the question you have: it seems that those engines are very sleepy under 3000 or 3500 rpm but come to life after that. Nevertheless those are very sturdy and long-life engines and due to that such a "problem" can easily be forgiven.

But if you get it solved (maybe my sources are not so reliable), I'll be very grateful and happy :hyper:

I have been using the redex and all seems ok apart from a bit lumpy on tickover, I have done around 600 miles since I started using redex. One thing I have noticed is that she is very clunky in the first 3 gears, is this natural on these bikes? the last service was about 130 miles ago but that was 2 years ago so I am going to do an oil and filter change this weekend and see if that improves it.

my gears on the 91 xj600 engine is clunky as well. easier if you don't use the clutch on up shift

I have been using the redex and all seems ok apart from a bit lumpy on tickover, I have done around 600 miles since I started using redex. One thing I have noticed is that she is very clunky in the first 3 gears, is this natural on these bikes? the last service was about 130 miles ago but that was 2 years ago so I am going to do an oil and filter change this weekend and see if that improves it.

One would say that the "Clunk" is a sign of good gearbox (mostly associated with Kawasaki gearboxes) although these bikes make the driver sloppy and by the time you get to 100k+ km (60k+ miles) like i did, you'll get the "usual" problem of the bike periodically falling out of the 2nd gear when you try to accelerate very fast. Hey... that's after 60k miles... seems OK to me to have that problem :)

If you want to clean the carbs the easy way, get an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. They just had it on sale plus a 20% coupon and you can get it for about $64. A couple guys on the XJRider forums have used it, and it works wonders. You have to detach the carbs as only 1 fits in at a time, but no real disassembly is required. Plus, it works great for cleaning lots of other things, too. Gonna get one myself here pretty soon.

We don't have HARBOUR FREIGHT in the UK mate so unless you want to pay about 3 times the price in postage a bit of a none starter. Unless I missed them of course?

The 4litre one from MAPLINS is £349.99 FFS! although you can pick up tiny ones (that clean jewelry) for about £40 or £50 but you have to tear everything done to get the bits inside.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online