New member and rider!!

bobikins
This post is 3495 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Assume everyone in a car is actively trying to kill you and ride accordingly. Many car drivers, and it has to be said some bikers too, see the speed limit as more of a suggestion than a rule. You'll get used to this as you ride more. Just don't be bullied into riding beyond your ability by the assholes behind you.

I found the same on my YBR - for me it was a mixture of people abusing the fact I had L plates, but also because I wasn't dominating my section of the road as much as I could have.

For example, down a 40mph road, I would be doing said speed limit, but positioned over to the left a little, thus "inviting" most car drivers to overtake me. That comes with confidence, but I eventually learned to position myself properly and not see myself as an imposition on the road, but in fact another worthy user like every one else.

• Like 3

Just a little update - I've made it to work and back on my bike with only a few minor issues!

I need to work on my confidence and hopefully will be able to filter past traffic at some point, and my hill starts need a lot of work! Any pointers?!

Other than that it's been a steady week I think. How is everyone else's?

Just a little update - I've made it to work and back on my bike with only a few minor issues!

I need to work on my confidence and hopefully will be able to filter past traffic at some point, and my hill starts need a lot of work! Any pointers?!

Other than that it's been a steady week I think. How is everyone else's?

Let filtering come in good time. I had driven a car for 11 years prior to getting my licence, so it was natural for me to sit in a traffic jam! Add to that the fact that once I started to build more confidence on the bike, I was still riding to work at unsociable hours and my weekend jaunts were in traffic-free areas or early mornings.

Basically, I really only started filtering properly when I got my job in Central London (earlier this year). Although I filter more now, I still only do it when I'm comfortable. If there is a bike behind me, I pull over and let them pass. I don't let myself get bullied into doing something I'm not comfortable. Perhaps more experienced riders would laugh at that, but you need to learn at your own pace, so take it easy and master the basics first before jumping to the front of the queue.

Regarding hill starts, I don't know whether you have a car licence, but they are definitely easier on a bike. What I do is have my right foot on the rear brake, find my biting point with clutch and throttle, then release rear brake and pull away. Again, practice is key here, but keep calm. As long as you're covering the rear brake, you aren't going anywhere until you're ready. You may need to give it a little more throttle than pulling away on a flat road, but that's about it. Practice, and you'll get a feel for it.

• Like 1

As always nicely put Iron butt :yeahthat: That reminds me of when I was a newby to bike's. I went to visit my sister in Llandudno, she lived up to the Great Orm back then, anyway I was heading up said Orm which is very steep, its the road that runs up alongside the Tram line at the bottom and the car in front of me stopped midway up & could I f#ck get going again, I just couldn't hold it on the biting point without stalling or rolling back, after trying a dozen time's and failing I decided to roll the bike back against the kerb at an angle so it was still pointing up hill. thankfully that worked otherwise :hah: I would have had to go back down and have another run at it.

Regarding hill starts, I don't know whether you have a car licence, but they are definitely easier on a bike. What I do is have my right foot on the rear brake, find my biting point with clutch and throttle, then release rear brake and pull away. Again, practice is key here, but keep calm. As long as you're covering the rear brake, you aren't going anywhere until you're ready. You may need to give it a little more throttle than pulling away on a flat road, but that's about it. Practice, and you'll get a feel for it.

Yeah i do the same. Use the back brake and when the feel the bite, release the rear brake slowly, whilst applying the throttle slowly.. i live on a hill and that's the easiest way i find.

If you use the front brake, it can be a bit awkward to use the throttle and front brake at the same time. not impossible but very awkward, why make these things harder then they need to be. :jossun:

My first bike had the habit of dropping out of first if I didn't give a firm enough tap with my foot when engaging gear. One day in front of all my mates I did this hill start and of course she slipped back into neutral, the result was I rolled back down the hill with my engine screaming and my mates rolling on the floor laughing. To make matters worse I then got flustered and stalled on my next attempt, by now I'm sure that everyone who lived within 10 miles of said hill was watching and laughing at me.

Welcome! :)

Take your time to get used to your bike, don't go beyond your capabilities and ignore 'terrace bikers'. They're easy to guess because:

• They boast about their riding skills. However, their longest ride has been going from the garage to the cafe, which is just around the corner, and vice versa.
  • They usually wear a spotless (normally very expensive) leathersuit.
  • They give free advices to everyone especially if you're a woman.

All have given some great advice! Starting on hills with any clutch is all about the friction zone. I had a similar experience to Tommy XS's... got stopped in the middle of a steep hill and stalled out trying to start again... had a line if cars behind me, but managed to avoid getting flustered, just kicked it over and went on my way. I figure anyone who's never stalled, has never used a clutch. :shrug:

Meatloaf I seriously hope that doesn't happen, but I'm sorry to admit I did laugh reading your post :-D

Maybe that could be a topic for a forum, silly mistakes that we've made!

Don't be sorry that was a long time ago and we all have to learn, I can laugh about it now but at the time I was so embarrassed. you have to learn and some say that you learn from your mistakes, if that's true I must of learned a lot over the years.

• Like 1

Hi,

Many moons ago in 1979 when I had my first bike also a DT 175c, I attended a RAC/ACU training course, it used to take place every Sunday morning on the multi-storey car-park behind the dole offices in Wolves, anyhow the first of the lessons nearly always involved riding to the top story stopping on each of the up ramps selecting neutral using the front brake to hold the bike, then selecting 1st gear, swapping the brake from the front to the rear brake, it only took a few trips to the top level by then most of us on the course had got it mastered. We even did down hill starts on the way down, it took the pressure off as the only following traffic was other students, I don’t know if there is a suitable car-park near you but as bikes can often get in free, a quiet car park may be a useful place to get some practice in,

• Like 1

Many car parks use the more modern spiral ramps to go up and down, as they save on ground area.

These typically have loonies racing round them and they generally won't see a bike round the bend until it is too late.

Something to bear in mind...

Hello and welcome. I was in the same position as you back in April as a new rider with L plates on a YBR125. I've had nothing but helpful advice from other riders and most people here in the north west seem more than happy to nod to a newbie. The only thing I'd suggest is that if your YBR is still fitted wit the Cheng Shin tyres it left the factory with then you would be well advised to get some 'proper' rubber on it. The Cheng Shin are designed solely for longevity and have a reputation for being very poor in the wet. I was amazed when I put Michelin Pilot Streets on mine as it felt much more secure.

Tomorrow I'm biting the bullet and going on a mass charity ride. Looking at about 300 bikes going! If anyone is around this way (I know it's late notice) but everyone is meeting at 9.30 at streetbike in halesowen, Birmingham. The ride is to quatts cafe in bridgnorth.

Any advise for a group ride?!

Start with a full tank. Don't be tempted to take off if people in front do unless you can clearly see the road ahead. Keep your distance from the bikes in front.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online