New member and rider!!

bobikins
This post is 3518 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Firstly just wanted to say hello!

I've just bought a brand new, shiny red YBR 125, and already love it! The only problem I'm finding is places to go in or around Birmingham, UK, without just aimlessly riding!

I'd like to maybe go to a couple of the local bike meets, but wondered how I'd be received on my 'baby' bike with L plates!

Any advice will be very much welcome on any aspect of riding, but very much looking forward to the social aspect of riding :-D

Also I am female so any female advice on the biking world also gratefully received!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi and welcome

L plates don`t make you retard, you will be ok, and if anyone you will meet will think L plates can be a barrier between you and experienced riders, you really don`t have to stay and speak with this kind of people. I can`t help you with meeting location in your area but i`m sure somebody here will do this

bippo is a nice girl and I think she start like you with an YBR 125

about riding, keep your eyes on the idiots on the road and don`t try send SMSs when you riding :))

don`t forget to post some pics with the bike and you :P

Thanks for your welcome!

I've been looking round the site and was wondering how I update my profile? Or post pictures for that matter?!

I think I'm going to head to a meet tonight and see how it goes *fingers crossed*

to post pics, you need to upload the photos on photobucket or another host site and copy-paste the link here. about meetings, don`t worry, girls are very well welcomed :). we have the annual meeting on 7-9 sept at squire cafe bar if this is not so far from you and you want come and meet some of us :P

Hi and Welcome to the YOC, your not alone, there are other young ladies on this site Bippo - Sasha & Katie come to mind, nice people, as for going to a meet with other bikers then as Lallasro says you will be welcomed and spoken to with respect by most honest bikers cos someone will thump them up the side of the head if they don't. L-Plates are no barrier they just mean your learning and if anyone says they look naff well their right but we all used then at one time or another, glad you could join us and any time now Foamy will be along which probably means you will get to see his mankini we all have a supply of mind bleach so don't be afraid to ask if you want to borrow some as it will burn into your retinas. Good luck with your ride out, have fun. :wavey:

Hello and welcome!

I see my name being mentioned (thanks guys), so here I am.

Firstly, great choice of bike - I loved my YBR. Just make sure you look after it and keep it clean so it'll sell easily when you move onto bigger and better things. I've only been riding 2 years now, but love every second of it.

Don't let the small engine prevent you from having adventures - it'll just take you a little longer that's all, ha ha! Some great roads to be had once you get out of Birmingham. You're also ideally placed for weekend jaunts around the gorgeous Welsh roads...

I find this forum to be a great, friendly place. A knowledgeable, helpful bunch, so stick around. And as others have said, riding with L-plates isn't a problem, I always got respect from other bikers. Car drivers can be a little different at times, but don't concern yourself with what they think of you.

From the 'female' point of view - other bikers don't batter an eyelid. In the non-biking world I get a lot of people shocked and amazed that I ride a bike, but never anything negative. As a result, I don't really have any specific words of wisdom there.

Ultimately, stay safe, take it easy and get out as much as you can. As lallasro said, a few of us are meeting up at the beginning of September in Squires. I'm happy to head towards Birmingham first and ride together if you fancy coming along. Some of us are camping, others staying in a nearby hotel.

• Like 2

Hi, thank you all! You've made me feel much more secure in case of any issues or general questions!

Bippo, thats really kind of you to come and meet me, but I don't know yet as I work weekends so would need to look into it first, but will let you know. I might be able to persuade a friend who also has a YBR to come with me! I'll definitely be looking into it though :-D

I'm going to go and get some ironing done, so the other half doesn't moan too much when I disappear out on my bike later!

No worries, well just let us know if you do fancy coming along, would be good to meet some more people!

Enjoy the ironing... Ha ha!

Another girlie welcome from me :female:

As the others said, we all started off on L plates so there's no stigma attached to it. I did my smaller bike stuff a long time ago (started 21 years ago! :sigh2: ) but still remember how much fun it was. The best news? It never stops being exciting!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have always found that if I practice my biking manoeuvres with the iron first it made me a better rider - I think I made that up to be honest.

Nothing wrong with L plates except the fact that they stop you riding bigger bikes.

Enjoy!

Hi and welcome if you ride then all is good by me no matter what size or level your at and I think you will find most agree and those that dont F em they are not worth knowing,just stay safe by watching out for the idots and you will find many of them.

Thank you all, I'm going to brave a meet, but not tonight. Think I need to educate the other half in the fact that every night is a good night to ride!

I've just found out that a bike down my road was stolen last night, so I'm currently checking on mine every 20 minutes! It's chained to an anchor on the front of the house and covered, but going to try getting it down the side of the house tomorrow for more security!

Hi bobkins " :welcome: , yeh them thieve"s will be skulking around,,, keep it out of sight,,

Welcome aboard! Absolutely nothing wrong with L plates :)

I felt the same before going to Squires last year but they're really nice guys on here and made me feel welcome :)

Good to see you get the ironing done first before heading off out lol. You're lucky you get away with just ironing to get to go out and play!!

The annual meet at squires btw is 5-7th September

:welcome:

It doesn't matter if you ride a big old fat cruiser or a missile on two wheels, we all started with L plates. If anyone tries to take the piss just ask them what their first bike was.

• Like 1

No foamy yet eh? Must be active in the job search. :biglaugha:

Welcome Bobbi! (from another gal) Everyone's gotta start somewhere and it'll just keep getting better! :yeah:

• Like 1

Greetings,so you've got L plates and your a girl, don't worry about it, every biker on the road had them at one time,the good thing about them is ripping them up when you pass your test, I still remember ripping mine up some 45 years ago. When I was your age girl riders were quite rare but things have changed and now there are loads of girls riding, some young and some not so young. At the end of the day we are bikers and most won't bat an eye to the L plates or to you gender, unless they want to chat you up . Stay safe and enjoy riding.

Also I am female so any female advice on the biking world also gratefully received!

Advice for the female biker - If you're in leathers and lid, I don't care what you have between your legs so long as it's got two wheels.

Seriously, gender isn't really a thing. Either you're on a bike, or you're not. That's all there is to it.... Anyone tells you otherwise, have them fuck off and just enjoy yourself.

Same for L-Plates. Everyone has to start somewhere and I went to plenty of rallies and meets on my 125, including a few Backpatch Club events. Not an eyelid was batted!!

You might want to see if there's a local MAG (Motorcycle Action Group), BMF (British Motorcycling Foundation) or similar group/meet around your way. Always very good for those new to this world.

Well, there are certain factors such as clothing cut for the female form and which bikes are best suited to the typical female build, but since every human is different anyway, we can usually find you a solution.