Iron Butt UK - SaddleSore 1000

bippo
This post is 3453 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thanks obriens and meatloaf!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cheers Katie! I am giving myself (and the bike!) an extra day of rest before travelling back down to London for the week...

Maybe at Squires... Ha ha!

• Like 1

Well done bippo! but you needed not ride all that way for an iron butt, should have just stopped at my address (PM sent for next time) and i would be more than happy to help ;)

All dirty-ness aside, how did you go about setting up this ride out as i too have been thinking about doing the same on the bobber, is it for a specific charity?

Maybe at Squires... Ha ha!

Best book another dozen campsite pitches if there's a 'completely fine butt' about!!
  • Like 1

Well done bippo! but you needed not ride all that way for an iron butt, should have just stopped at my address (PM sent for next time) and i would be more than happy to help ;)

All dirty-ness aside, how did you go about setting up this ride out as i too have been thinking about doing the same on the bobber, is it for a specific charity?

I'll keep you in mind next time I'm down your way, ha ha!

To complete for the SS1000 ride, you don't need to do anything other than pick a day, and go for it! You'll of course have to read their rules before hand, but it doesn't require any real forward planning. You basically need a start and finish witness (can be your wife for both), start and end fuel receipts, then fuel receipts of your journey along with an odometer reading. Iron Butt have all the documentation on their website. Once you've competed it, you submit everything for verification.

Planning the route took me no time at all, but wherever I had my furthest point in any direction (Penzance, Folkstone and Leeds for me) I needed to make sure there was a petrol station, and of course knowing if it's 24 hours, depending on what time you plan to get there.

I didn't do this one for charity, and it was very much spur of the moment, planning and bike prep etc done and dusted within 2 hours then I was on my way.

I understand Iron Butt do a yearly charity version of this ride for the Royal British Legion, starting and ending in Squires with a choice of a Northern or Southern route (clockwise or anti-clockwise). So that's something to consider?

Anyway, I'm more than happy to tag along with any ride you plan, even if it's just a short section as you head up North. At some point in the future I'll plan another one of these, something like Iron Butts end to end challenge or their 4 corners one. Anything after that starts to get a little insane... I know the President of the group is planning 11,000 in 11 days over in the US... I'm not sure how fun I'd find that!

• Like 1

well done girl.

i can't wait to see that iron butt ( trophy }they are all talkin aboot.

:shakeno: i new i,'d forgot something.

• Like 1

WOW Bippo! Nice one! :thumb:

If you do the 11000 in 11 days I will go hide in shame .. only because your such a new rider and I have so many years and miles under my belt and still wont do it

I know a few who have tried it and its a battel of mind and body, lots enter and few finnish, I have put down 1000 and a you now know it take's it out of you.. To get up every day for 11 days and do it again WOW you would have to be a ???

I think the Dakar would be easier

1 person who I knew did the iron but and had to rebuild his motor after,sadly he is no longer with us got smoked a month after by a truck. go figure?

I couldn't think of anything worse than covering a distance like that in such a time period...! I'll stick to covering that mileage in a year like more normal people, ha ha!

I can imagine it doesn't do the bike much good either...

Nope, not for me! This one was enough. At most I think I could do the 2000 miles / 2 day challenge, but it'd have to have the weather for it, and build up even more stamina. Oh - and have a different bike! Most of how the felt the next morning was down to the lack of wind protection the Street Triple gave me.

The guy John Young, joined this forum a wee while ago when the video of his pulse jet moped was posted, did it on his 1970s Triumph Trident a couple of years ago

Yeah, he's on the 'roll of honour' on the Iron Butt website, along with a few other Trident owners. Goes to show you can do it with any bike - although my preference would be something more comfortable!

Something more comfortable, let me see, A CAR with a chauffeur perhaps. :biglaugha:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well good news folks, I was successful in acquiring my Iron Butt UK membership.

My certificate arrived in the post this morning!

• Like 5