L plates or not

HarleyJay
This post is 3407 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, so I've literally just got back from my CBT which I passed fine. Now do I have to have L plates on front and back, I know they say yes but realistically what can I get away with ? I've seen some with only one on the back which I guess isn't as bad and as ugly as one on the front as well

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's a "YES", you need 2 otherwise the police will have you over and give you a bit of a talking to, then when they catch you the next time (they will) your going to look a right prat with a fine and an endorsement on you shiny new licence.

• Like 1

Well done for passing your CBT. Listen to the words of wisdom and experience above.

Just think - you will be riding non in accordance of your driving licence, this means your insurance could be void. You can get between 3 to 6 points for the L plate offense only, plus what you get for the rest.

Remember 6 points on a fresh licence and you are back to square 1 and may have to do your theory and CBT again.

You will have a nice sized fine and the endorsement on your licence for 3 years which will affect your insurance premiums. Kerching!

Down to you really.

Play safe, if you really don't like them take your test as soon as.

• Like 1

as above, don't give them a reason to pull you over. God knows what else they'll find to ticket you for, lights, tyre tread and all that stuff.

TBH no one notices or cares that you have L plates on so put them on, get some experience and do your test.

Don't use one on the front and you'll definitely get pulled. Don't use any and if you get stopped you'll have handed the police a reason to do you even if you've done nothing else wrong.

As above, display both, having only got your licence you want to avoid as much attention as possible. Plus 3 points per plate on a provisional licence is something you really really don't need.

The might look awful to you, but they DO serve a purpose.......they tell everyone that you're still learning...and car drivers (who make up the majority) tend to give you a wider berth, it's got nothing to do with knocking you over! they just don't want YOU to scratch their nice shiney cars.

However, learner drivers tend to be involved in quite a few accidents, that's one reason why they have higher insurance.

The police might never pull you over, thats true...........BUT they do speak to you in A&E if you are unfortunate to have an accident, and they will be asking you several questions. The traffic police tend to be very eagle eyed, they look at detail like:-

I noticed you've only got one L plate on,

or

I couldn't find the other one

or indeed

there was no evidence to suggest you had one on before the crash.

As the others have said, don't draw attention to yourself, its not worth it,

Nobody wants you to have an accident and you might never be pulled over, but once you finally passed your test, you will get much satisfaction at ripping off two L plates instead of one . Although after that you also might notice.......... just how much closer the car drivers are!

Good luck and happy riding.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Don't ride without L plates I made the mistake of jet washing my bike off at a supermarket on the way home after going out off-road didn't want to make it slippery with mud everywhere

Like an idiot I made my front L plate come off whilst washing it, bearing in mind was only 3 miles from my house I still managed to get pulled over but luckily had the old plate in my bag so got away with it by saying it came off whilst washing.

P.s I didn't mention I went off-road lol

• 3 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online