Yamaha DT oil spitting out the exhaust!! Please help!

DANYAM
This post is 3506 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. As the title says, after I have been out for a ride I'm having to wipe oil off the back of the numberplate and my rear tyre.

The bike was unused for 9 months before I had it but I've ridden it for a month now ( nearly 1000 miles ) and its still spitting.

The exhaust looks original so I'm thinking it could be carbon deposits ( I'm getting a new exhaust to eliminate that ) and I've changed the gearbox oil which doesn't appear to be going down at all. Only thing I can think of is possibly worn seals but I'm still learning and do not know exactly which seals it could be.

Anyone had this problem?

Cheers

Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I get oil in the same place on my SR. On mine it's spraying off the chain. Have you oil anywhere else?

I get oil in the same place on my SR. On mine it's spraying off the chain. Have you oil anywhere else?

I havn't noticed any coming from anywhere else. I'm pretty sure it's just coming out of the exhaust. I will check though, thanks. Also the oil on the tyre seems to only be on the right hand side which confirms to me that it is the exhaust.

Aye dan , is it clean oil ? or dirty,.

I'm pretty sure it's dirty oil mate. One of my mates put his hand over the end of the exhaust when it was running and said it smelt of petrol? I would have thought thats what it would smell like but he seemed to think it wasn't right? : S

It will smell of petrol cos unburnt gases in the exhaust fumes. Hold a white piece of card up to the exhaust to confirm what's spitting out. Other than that I think I need to let someone with greater knowledge than me help!!

This should be in the workshop section :eusa_think:

The bike is a 2 stroke. I would be more worried if there was no oil coming from the exhaust. 2 stroke oil gets burnt with the fuel and comes out the end of the exhaust.

You are filling up the 2 stroke oil tank, aren't you?

If your not loosing gear oil then check your injection pump isn't stuck in full stroke.

I wouldn't put the new exhaust on till you sort this as it will only get full of oil as well.

pull the pacing out and burn the pipe clean and put new packing in the can first could just be the pipe is loaded up from years of not beeing serviced

Airhead I agree it's some what normal to have oil on the plate but to have it on the tire seems a bit excessive to me,can you up load a picture of the tire/plate after a ride DAN? You will have to use a picture host( photo bucket ,drop box ect..) to do so.Then we could tell if it's normal or excessive.

It will smell of petrol cos unburnt gases in the exhaust fumes. Hold a white piece of card up to the exhaust to confirm what's spitting out. Other than that I think I need to let someone with greater knowledge than me help!!

Will do man, thanks for your input : )

This should be in the workshop section :eusa_think:

The bike is a 2 stroke. I would be more worried if there was no oil coming from the exhaust. 2 stroke oil gets burnt with the fuel and comes out the end of the exhaust.

You are filling up the 2 stroke oil tank, aren't you?

Sorry man, next one will be in the workshop!

I appreciate that 2 strokes are oily but the oil on my tyre is a little excessive and I'm worried about riding in the rain because of it.

Yes, I've been using high quality oil aswell.

If your not loosing gear oil then check your injection pump isn't stuck in full stroke.

I wouldn't put the new exhaust on till you sort this as it will only get full of oil as well.

pull the pacing out and burn the pipe clean and put new packing in the can first could just be the pipe is loaded up from years of not beeing serviced

That's great, thanks for the advice : )

DTR's tend to do this to some degree, have you had the bike long enough to say this is unusual for your bike?

I've had it a month and the only time it hasn't done it was when I was using it quite often and for long rides. I don't think I've had it long enough to say it was unusual though.

Airhead I agree it's some what normal to have oil on the plate but to have it on the tire seems a bit excessive to me,can you up load a picture of the tire/plate after a ride DAN? You will have to use a picture host( photo bucket ,drop box ect..) to do so.Then we could tell if it's normal or excessive.

I agree, the amount of oil on the tyre is excessive and it looks dangerous, especially if its wet/raining! I will try and get a photo uploaded at the weekend. Thank you all for your help.

Sounds like an italian tune up is needed. Long hi rpm ride

Or take the exhaust off and clean the gunk out. If it was used for short trips or the previous owner never let her sing to clear the pipes it could be full of gunk.

Sounds like an italian tune up is needed. Long hi rpm ride

Or take the exhaust off and clean the gunk out. If it was used for short trips or the previous owner never let her sing to clear the pipes it could be full of gunk.

The last time I did that it did reduce significantly. I guess it's going to be trial and error! Cheers for your input.

I have to agree with cynic and airhead. If the bike has Been used for a lot of short runs or left idling for a while, 2 stroke oil will build up in the exhaust. The exhaust needs to burn any junk left in it so some long runs would be good once you have checked that the oil pump is set and working correctly.

I have to agree with cynic and airhead. If the bike has Been used for a lot of short runs or left idling for a while, 2 stroke oil will build up in the exhaust. The exhaust needs to burn any junk left in it so some long runs would be good once you have checked that the oil pump is set and working correctly.

That may explain the problem. I live right next to an A road ( 50 mph ) so I've been running on idle for 10 - 15 mins before I set off so I can get up to speed quickly. I'll go for a few long runs this weekend without idling for too long and go from there. Cheers!

• Like 1

*Update*

Hello again, I hope someone will read this as I didn't see the point in starting up a new thread. So i've been taking it for quite a few long rides, opening up at every opportunity I get. Oil was still spitting out so I adjusted the oil pump which needed about 10 - 12mm on the cable. Checked the spark plug which looked ok to me. Bit oily but a tanned brown, good compression and runs like a dream so I'm stumped.

I havn't cleaned out the exhaust yet as I'm waiting to get paid so I can buy a new system (my front pipe is f*cked anyway). If the exhaust is clogged up ( which I'm pretty sure it is ) will it continue to clog up and spit s*it out despite everything else working fine?

And I was wondering if the effects of adjusting the oil pump may take a few more miles to clear all the crap out? I've done around 35 miles since doing it and about a quarter of the journey was full throttle. I noticed less smoke but still enough for me to curse all the way down the bypass :tantrum: and my numberlate was again, coated in oil.

Cheers,

Dan

Why adjust the oil pump on the fly. If you have got it wrong either way you can kill the motor.

The manual, haynes or otherwise will tell you how then leave the bastard thing alone.

Who on earth told you to let it idle for 15 mins. Sweet mercy THATS where the oily crap is coming from. You start a 2stroke and ride away. 30 sec tops. Or the engine oils up. Gumming rings filling the exhaust with crap.

• Like 2

Why adjust the oil pump on the fly. If you have got it wrong either way you can kill the motor.

The manual, haynes or otherwise will tell you how then leave the bastard thing alone.

Who on earth told you to let it idle for 15 mins. Sweet mercy THATS where the oily crap is coming from. You start a 2stroke and ride away. 30 sec tops. Or the engine oils up. Gumming rings filling the exhaust with crap.

The oil pump itself isnt adjustable on my bike, the only adjustment is the cable thats attached to the pulley. I followed my haynes manual and have left it alone since.

Nobody has told me to idle it for that long nor have they told me I shouldn't so thank you very much. I wont be doing that again!

I havn't been idling for more than 30 seconds the last few days and it's still spitting out. Do you think it will be ok to carry on riding it or should I take the head off and check for any damage?

Cheers

They"l be no damage, its just the characteristics of a 2 stroke, hell" you shudda seen the oil come out the back of my 750 triple . :babyha: there were pools in the exhausts,

it may need a de-coke and the exhaust cleaned out , but she sounds fine to me,, :headbang:

They"l be no damage, its just the characteristics of a 2 stroke, hell" you shudda seen the oil come out the back of my 750 triple . :babyha: there were pools in the exhausts,

it may need a de-coke and the exhaust cleaned out , but she sounds fine to me,, :headbang:

Hahaha.

My jacket was waterproofed for weeks after. The way that used oil would make an arab cry.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online