New bike... Almost

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 3486 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Come pay day I'll be taking delivery of a '94 SR125. Exact same year and model as the one I have but only 22000 miles instead of the 46 on mine. All parts are there and in good nick but it is sold as a non runner as there is an intermittent ignition problem. So starts and runs most of the time lol. Not sure whether to use it as a donor bike or spend time trying to sort it out. The mechanics I use for all my spare parts normally only sells £3k bikes and up - mainly classics - and wants only £100 which is the value of the couple of bits they have changed and what they paid for it. Previous owner couldn't afford to repair it (hourly rate etc) so instead of sticking it on eBay it's been offered to me :)

So now I've just got to decide if I'm going to break it for parts or get her running and sell her to pay towards my test.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Elvis

Use your bike for (temporary) donor parts until you find the fault. Then replace the dodgy part, flog it on as a runner and pass your bloody test

• Like 3

+1 what Jimmy said, Elvis if you had been saving your loose change, you would have had enough by now

does sound like a bargain though :spin2:

• Like 1

Had about £200 of loose change saved away until a couple of months ago when something came up unexpected! Just had a quick look in the jar and reckon I got about £50 :(

Sell your soul or better yet someone else's, buy the bike mate as Jimmy says some decisions are obvious !!! :jossun:

As an aside Andrew believe it or not when I took the FJ down for an MOT on Saturday there was a VERY ROUGH Duke 900 Monstor sat in the yard, the owners wife is selling it as he had passed away 2 years ago and it's been left out in all weathers and blown over by the wind a couple of times, so I offered £500 for it and am waiting for a call back, the wife will kill me :madflame: when she finds out and I am off to the Horse Piddle soon but some things you just cant walk by and ignore.

• Like 1

I would see exactly what is wrong with the low mileage one. Swaping parts is a good idea because it cost nothing. Then assess what it would cost to get the high mileage one running again and flog it.

Slice - I wouldn't go for the Duke. I love them but a service and new belts are going to be £300 and you then have a rough one and still £800 spent.

• Like 1

There's actually nothing wrong with my current one - the one with 46k miles. It's mainly cosmetic stuff - tear in the seat, damaged indicator stem, chain guard I've cut down so not totally enclosed (broke when the chain snapped), just little bits and pieces that I was going to change long term. I was thinking get the lower mileage running and selling as would probably get more for it. Less rust spots on it. I know I need a new petrol cap as the lock is faulty and apparently the ignition issue is intermittent so I'd need to recreate the fault if I can.

True.

I would guess that the intermittent fault is a lose/frayed wire or connector in the headlight or steering area.

That would be my first guess. The garage has already put a second hand cdi unit and pick up on her and when I saw it yesterday they had started taking the wiring loom out.

Unrelated to the bike, just want to show off my dad's matchstick rose collection box, which I use for loose change....

neta7abe.jpg

He made it several years ago to raise money for the Rosie Maternity Hospital in Cambridge

• Like 4

Get to the shop and tell them to stop tinkering. :smash: It will be harder to diagnose the fault.

Nice looking box. I have a jar that is supposed to count the change as it goes in. It misses coins so I leave the lid off it.

Your Dads very clever and VERY patient, not many have the skill to do something like that. :jossun:

• Like 1

More patience than I have - Hence the name of the Rose! He had retired cos of ill health and to care for my mum at the time so it gave him a nice little hobby.

• 3 weeks later...

And here she is:

3a6471582bd8615cd262edf2ca618406.jpg

New lock for the tank needed, or just surround as the key actually works:

b789fa4ab29e379928b12245802d5620.jpg

Side panel and battery missing (battery may be in workshop, removed when they were trying to fix):

4396c4e41fe649f03114d3820eef7c9d.jpg

Non standard chain guard:

1e2da96954d139c2a3baa2c3770fe295.jpg

And centre stand half removed!

6f93abd3e4c9115966d5916a1a59c21b.jpg

Other than that looks quite tidy :)

6157d4ff1af3aa390777be9a1bb87ee9.jpg

7af186e0f95c3026bcd1d36f67dae365.jpg

40015c5744230b3a0852093a74490de1.jpg

And bugger me - the choke actually stays out!!

• Like 1

Is it going to Squires Andrew?

Haha!

Don't think it'll be ready for next week!

Not even sure it'll have a battery by then :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online