Full bike test

lauragilmour
This post is 3509 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Haven't post much lately but been viewing the forum time to time but been major busy with work. I've got the MOT of my bike coming up and getting the bike ready but once it's passed I'm thinking of getting my full bike licence I've been riding on my cbt provisional for about 8 months now, and I'd like to get rid of the L plates, cheaper insurance etc and once I'm 19 I will be able to shift onto a bigger bike.... I understand I need a theory test, part one and part two. Will my age restrict me of doing mod 1 and mod 2? Or can I do them now? And do you suggest getting lessons or an intensive course?

Cheers

Laura

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good luck Larua.

Thanks for the Link DDT..Now I understand why everyone dirves 125's,under a certian age.Much different here.

• Like 1

Good luck Larua.

Thanks for the Link DDT..Now I understand why everyone dirves 125's,under a certian age.Much different here.

Why make it simple when you can really complicate things? The politicians mantra of today.

Back in the day it was; up to 250cc on L plates, any bike on a full licence.

It then went to; up to 125cc on L plates, any bike on a full licence.

Now it has gone to the link I posted earlier.

Back in my day it was write a test 40 questions pass... get any bike you want,no driving in the dark or roads over 50 mph, book driving test same day.... month or less do road test.... pass and happy trails to you. The test was ,,,well you made it to the test center (check 1) now go around these pilons and stop over there (check 2) now go around the block hand signal and come back in and stop here (check 3) The bike is still in one piece and so is the driver (check 4) have a nice day here's your licence.

They have changed it a bit in that you have to do 2 driving tests( that are real tests with a instrutor taking you out on the road ) and waite a year to get your full licence so you can drive on roads above 50 mph 0% booze till your 21.But if you want a r1 for your first bike go ahead and buy one. Thoe I have heard rumor of bringing in a 49 hp rule for new riders.

How much does all this jumping through hoops cost you guys just to get a bloody licence? I keep hearing you guys say don't fix that up save your money for your test and get a big boy bike.

Back in my day it was write a test 40 questions pass... get any bike you want,no driving in the dark or roads over 50 mph, book driving test same day.... month or less do road test.... pass and happy trails to you. The test was ,,,well you made it to the test center (check 1) now go around these pilons and stop over there (check 2) now go around the block hand signal and come back in and stop here (check 3) The bike is still in one piece and so is the driver (check 4) have a nice day here's your licence.

They have changed it a bit in that you have to do 2 driving tests( that are real tests with a instrutor taking you out on the road ) and waite a year to get your full licence so you can drive on roads above 50 mph 0% booze till your 21.But if you want a r1 for your first bike go ahead and buy one. Thoe I have heard rumor of bringing in a 49 hp rule for new riders.

How much does all this jumping through hoops cost you guys just to get a bloody licence? I keep hearing you guys say don't fix that up save your money for your test and get a big boy bike.

Similar old style bike test was read a number plate you had just walked past, Answer a couple of questions on road signs and ride around the block a few times - mainly out of sight of the examiner. 1 emergency stop. That was it, 125 to R1 in 20 minutes.

They then brought out Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) before riding alone and then have just added to it.

I used to teach CBT and there was a story going around that on day a guy on his test was riding around the block. He jumped a pedestrian crossing red signal, got stopped by the police and nicked for the traffic offence. When he reappeared he got pulled in by the examiner who asked him why he had taken so long to go around the block. He said the lights were stuck on red and he didn't want to jump them but the police turned up and waved the traffic through. He passed. This was supposed to have been found out because the examiner and the policeman knew each other socially.

It may just be an urban myth!!

As for cost, I don't have a clue but I hear figures of £800 to £1000 a lot of the time. That about CAD$1500-$1800

And now you know why most 17 year old's buy a car and scream round the streets. It cost about 20% of the bike test and can be passed on your 17th birthday if your lucky. Although there have been roumours that a similar test regime might be in the future but don't hold your breath as the car lobby is much bigger and more powerful than the bike lobby such as it is.

That price sounds about right. I failed my MOD 1 three times but passed the MOD 2 first time and it cost me £1,200! This was using a training school bike with lessons. Wish I had taken my bike test back in the 70's when all my mates did as it only cost £15 back then. But as has been mentioned you could ride up to a 250 on a provisional. I was a naughty boy and rode a 350 at the time. :shakeno:

CBT around £100-£120, theory test £35, instruction on 600cc+ bike (I believe is compulsory 2 hours??) and test fee £600ish. A lot of schools will do discount if book with a few mates.

Back in the day my honda cb125 broke down the day before my test so I borrowed my uncles honda 50, one ride round the block, emergency stop, read the number plate from about 10 ft, a couple of easy questions on highway code then straight round to my mates to by his 650 BSA. It was tough in those days :spin2:

• Like 2

I did my cbt end of june and already getting itchy feet for a bigger bike,

Ive done my bike theory test and its not alot differant to car theory i don't think altho i did mine on paper rather than computer,

Now saving up for test as insurance and tax might be cheaper but one things for sure test isn't

I remember a few days before my test my kick start snapped in half so I very amaturely welded it back together with a stick welder. On the test I was praying that it would hold together and fortunately it did. But I did pass and made history by being the last person in the driving test centre to to take a test. As the examiner was going through his highway code flip chart in the corridor the removal men were emptying the building out.

• Like 1

I've told this story before, but I had to borrow my pals bike to sit my test (29/12/81) and passed first time. When I returned the bike to my mate, with a stoic looking face, he says "ah well jimmy don't fret about it, after all I failed mine 2 days ago".........."Ha" says I as I flash my pass certificate

• Like 1

DT50MX at 16, XJ600 when I was 17 (week intensive course), 900 Fireblade when I was 19

Iirc it cost me around £700 to do my full licence as I failed the mod2 the first time, and I had to take it on the centres crappy CG 125

Iv just completed my full licence. Did my cbt back in April. Booked a week of work to do it. Day 1 training for mod 1. Day 2 morning training and test in aftetnoon. Day 3 road training and day 4 morning training and test in the afternoon. Total cost was £590

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online