'78 GT80 - Still no spark after everything!

This post is 3550 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

FIrst post here, so my apologizes if i'm posting in the wrong section. Anyways, getting to my point.

I purchased a 1978 Yamaha GT80 for a great price, 40$ and the guy is the first owner so I got the ownerships. Bike is in pretty rough shape, but for the price I coudn'lt turn it down. The thing is, their is no spark. First thing I did was check the coil, it was finished so I ordered a new one off of Ebay for 17$, then changed the plug, still no luck. Then I proceeded in cleaning the points, still no go. Finally, I went and took apart the fly wheel, the magnetic plates (?) were quite rusted, so I lightly cleaned them using sand paper (Yes, I know this will create future rust) then cleaned it off with some brake cleaner to take off the debris.

I cranked it up, it did spark! Excited, I put it back together and then went to crank it, no spark. If I keep cranking, once in a while I get spark. 1 out of 10 cranks. Did I not clean it properly? Does it need a more thorough cleaning? Looking for your help.

P.S.: I got a spare GT100 motor for parts, is the flywheel the same as the GT80? If so i'll just take that one. Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Daren and welcome to the YOC :wavey: , it's usual to do an INTRO in the new members section before you do a "how do I fix my bike" question, it's just that we get a lot of one hit wonders on here and if you intro yourself then folks are more inclined to help you out, so if you would be so kind as to pop over to the new members section and say a bit about yourself it will grease the wheels as it were. Glad you could join us and hope you get to stick around. :jossun:

PS quite a few of the members on here are from your neck of the woods so you should get lot's of help and advice.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online