Sluggish Starting on XVS1100

Motorhate
This post is 3343 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of rectifier mounting screws? The screws on mine are what's technically known as FUBAR. One has snapped and the other js just covered in melted plastic :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you know what the size of the bolts are etc give this site a go, i bought from him before and he is very good.

http://www.custom-fasteners.co.uk/

• 1 month later...

Latest instalment ...

Got hold of a 2006 model battery box which looks to have the rectifier mounted in a different position, away from the exhaust pipes and exposed to the air flow under the frame. Managed to get that in place but as pointed out above, its fried the battery - brand new Motorbatt Quadflex that cost me £55 grrrrrr !!! Still sluggish when trying to start though. So now I'm trying to fix the sluggish starting I thought I'd replace the starter clutch. Bought one off Ebay and got a mobile mechanic round to fit it as I didn't have the tools or the time to do it. Wow ... the flywheel is an absolute bastard to get off. So much so, that he broke two flywheel pullers trying to get it off and ended up ordering the proper Yamaha tool to get it off. He rang me yesterday and said it had arrived and its one chunky bit of kit, so the XVS 1100 flywheel must be designed to be a pig to get off. I'll keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...

Bike is finally finished. It was taken apart and checked over and had a lot wrong with it. Sluggish starting was down to a broken pin in the starter motor. This had caused some wear on the starter clutch which was replaced. If you've never replaced one, get an expert to do it. I got a mechanic to do it, who broke two removal tools in the process as it needed a proper hefty Yamaha tool to remove it and even then, the amount of force needed to remove it was unreal. Finally it was removed and replaced with a new one from Ebay which the mechanic was very impressed with.

Also the carbs were filthy and the idle jets blocked. They were caked in crap and way out of balance. This was rectified. Alos, the choke was sticking, as was the throttle. The brakes weren't the greatest, and upon taking them apart, there was a tiny stone trapped between the pads and calipers which caused uneven wear on the pads. They were also replaced.

15815104342_3017538e39_c.jpg

Whoever had this bike did NOT take care of it at all. It was filthy underneath and absolutley caked in grease, dust and road crap. I cleaned all this off which took a good while to do.

15628693360_307ea1094a.jpg

Engine was surprising in OK nick. Once the carbs were cleaned and balanced it ran really smooth. The amount of crap on and in the carbs was unreal and I'm surprised it ran at all.

15628366797_f519c2b006_c.jpg

Next job it to replace the crap exhaust that's been fitted. I've already ruined a pair of waterproofs on it (hence the bodged heat shield. There's also a hole where it doesn't fit properly which I've bodged up with some exhaust paste. I've also replaced the grips with Kuryakin ISO grips which are far more comfortable than the leather grips (I kid you not) that were on there. Other little things were the rear brake master cylinder cover being absolutely covered in crap, so much so that it required grinding off.

There's still some other things to do as well, the wheels are covered in crap, so much so I think I'm going to need some sort of hydrofluoric acid to get them clean. Could do with some new mirrors, a new front master-cylinder cover, a new headlight and this evening, the rear indicators stopped working. One day this bike will finally be fixed.

• Like 1

Glad you got that part sorted, fella.

There's always something to do, but at least you're now getting there!!

One door opens and then another one slams right in your face. Now ... only one indicator works. The others stopped working more or less at the same time. Now only the near-side front indicator works. I've got two LED indicators on the rear which have worked fine up until now. On the front there are two normal type indicators which again have been working up until now. I was tempted to think that its a fuse but if one is still working that would rule that out, same goes for the flasher unit. By the way, the indicator light on the dial works for the side that the indicators are not working, but won't work for the side where the single indicator works. I'm assuming this is either a bad earth or some dodgy wiring that I've missed when the bike was taken apart. Looks like its gonna have to be taken apart again ... :(

• 2 months later...

Got a problem at the moment with sluggish starting, i.e. when I start the bike, it turns over really really slowly like the battery is almost dead. Repeat this two or three times and the bike starts OK. I've got a new battery on order but was wondering if it could be anything else? Its an old bike, 2001 reg and just recently serviced.

Any ideas?

My 2000 XVS 1100 does exactly that and has done for the past 3 years when I bought it, I jumped it from a car battery once when the battery was low and it whipped it over, which suggests to me the standard battery isn't really man enough, I mean, you wouldn't try to jump a 1100 cc car from a puny bike battery, one thing you could check though are the resisters in the spark plug caps, If you pull the caps off and look inside where the plug tops clip in you will see a brass fitting with a slot in it, unscrew it with a screw driver and a small carbon bush and spring should fall out with the brass fitting, if this is corroded replace the plug caps, this will make a hell of a difference to the spark power and help with starting.

My 2000 XVS 1100 does exactly that and has done for the past 3 years when I bought it, I jumped it from a car battery once when the battery was low and it whipped it over, which suggests to me the standard battery isn't really man enough, I mean, you wouldn't try to jump a 1100 cc car from a puny bike battery, one thing you could check though are the resisters in the spark plug caps, If you pull the caps off and look inside where the plug tops clip in you will see a brass fitting with a slot in it, unscrew it with a screw driver and a small carbon bush and spring should fall out with the brass fitting, if this is corroded replace the plug caps, this will make a hell of a difference to the spark power and help with starting.

I actually got to the bottom of this. Turned out to be a busted pin on the starter motor. Most likely this is putting extra strain on your battery. I managed to bodge this fixed and it turns over fine now.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online