Chain wear on outside, top of links?

Matthew Duncan
This post is 3540 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

was doing a bit of chain maintenance last night, took my front sprocket cover off to clear out all the gunk! noticed that there was wear on the top of my links, as if they had been rubbing against something enough to be worn down?

Anyone got any ideas? chain is at correct tention and was adjusted propely to spec at the weekend. I couldnt see/think of anything that it might have been rubbing against.

Trying to put a photo on but its taking ages to email to my comp - hopefully get it up at lunch

Thanks,

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The lads are right Matthew, it has to be rubbing on something unless you have an attack of the "file fairies"! :rofl:

was aligned with verniers, then re checked with a steel rule after tightening, had the sprocket cover off and it was filthy inside - gonna take a proper look at the weekend - will keep yous posted.

that file faireys are a pain in the arse, they made my numberplate really small one night....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what? Instead of just oiling my chain, I've removed it to give a good clean and have the same fairies! Tension has been within tolerances since putting the chain on new earlier this year following a break and can't see anything to explain it! Given the guard a good clean - only thing I can think of where its been rubbing. Around front sprocket was oily but no real dirt and no signs of damage on inside of cover.

Did you ever find your fairy?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online