1999 R6 - "Project Dreamweaver"

feliks
This post is 3500 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok if it is worn dogs then you would feel a definate clunking as the dogs skip past one and catch the next one ,if there are only 3 dogs then the tranny has to rotate 120 deg. every time it slips and that would be felt not so much as a slip but a engaugement /disengaugmet and re engaugement more like a clunking, not a progresive loss of power/ slipping/reving faster than accelerating that eventualy catches up as the torque curve evens out ,,thats clutch.

2 nd gear is right in the biggest part of the torque curve and loads the clutch the hardest( esp because your all ready doing the speed limit), I would be still more suspective of week clutch springs or fiber plates worn.

1 quick ride and I could tell the difference between clutch and tranny. For how long it takes I would pull the clutch now and check the plates and the springs free length.

You ripe it appart in the winter and find out the gears are fine you have done alot of work for nothing.

Hope that helps you figure it out if you want a good reason to go for a good ride come up here and I will beat on your bike for you and tell you LOL

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks man as always I appreciate the advice! I did notice when I was cranking on it on the highway in 4th gear it revved up but didn't speed up... which would be indicative of the clutch, right? So I think you may be on to something... :D I'll pull the clutch cover off this weekend when I do an oil change and assess it from there. I'll post some pics up when I get in there. Thanks again buddy!

This all I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-SRK-Clutch-Kit-Fits-Yamaha-YZF-R6-600-1999-2002-/331275866714?fits=Year%3A1999%7CMake%3AYamaha%7CModel%3AYZF+R6&hash=item4d2194925a&vxp=mtr

I'm gonna take a video of the problem in 2nd gear, you should be able to hear what's going on if I mount the camera in a good spot... maybe you can make the call just from that if that's the issue! There's definitely no clunking or banging it just slips when accelerating, feels like the tire skips but that's not it.

EBC are good ,barnett alot of the time you have to change the steel plates as well as they run 1 extra and all are thinner.

If your spring are still good and the steels arent warped then you can replace just the fibers alot cheaper than replace everything,you might get lucky and be able to reuse the gasket but I would get one for what they cost.

Dt50"s right, :yeah: it sounds like clutch slip, as jumping out of gear is like a ratchet noise, bang-bang bang, jolts thru motor,

EBC are good ,barnett alot of the time you have to change the steel plates as well as they run 1 extra and all are thinner.

If your spring are still good and the steels arent warped then you can replace just the fibers alot cheaper than replace everything,you might get lucky and be able to reuse the gasket but I would get one for what they cost.

Ok I had ordered the Barnett clutch kit, it comes with springs, steel, and fiber plates.... I can only assume it's fucked since it revs up in 5th and 6th gear when you hammer on the throttle but doesn't actually speed up until it catches.. I just still find it weird that it does it so much in 2nd gear over all the others, it doesn't slip at all in first gear..no matter how hard you hammer it.

Anyway, clutch kit on order, gonna get a new gasket for sure. Thanks for the help as always guys! :D

Do some cheap oil changes as the fibers from the clutch will be all through the motor and can wear on everything in the motor from cams to crank bearings. And as the new clutch set in,, it too will drop fibers so,,get some oil of the right grade and dump it after 100 kms all this BS about using motor cycle only oil is well bs,

If anyone botherd to read thier owners manual they would see that it dosent say anything other than to use sg-sf-sj ect.. None of this BS about using "motor cycle only oil"

Just get some valovine 10-40 standered oil sf or sg ( the round circle on the back of the container wiil have these letters to let you know) and flush it through 2-3 times.Then use it in your truck after you filter it through a coffey filter. So your not waisting it.

1St gear is so short that it is hard to tell it's slipping and 2nd gear is right in the middel of the torque so you will feel it more and 4th 5-6th your pulling the whole weight of the bike and wind so the clutch will be easy to feel slip.

Ok well I trust your opinion so I'll do as you say! Wooo! Hopefully this fixes up my issues...until the next one comes. I've put on 9000kms on this bike in the 2+ months I've owned it, so I am getting lots of fun in between. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no! Sorry to hear that! Hope you're ok!

Oh, I hope you're OK.

Let me know if you need any help to repair your bike (I'm skilled in going down and then home-fixing my R6 R).

ROLFLMAO straybullet I'm sure he wouldn't mind you going down,but won't your boyfriend get mad ,or is he ok with you going down for other guys LOLOLOL not sure how that will help him fix his bike but it would make him feel better.

Come on Ryan let see the pictuers,I want to see your road rash, just so I can show other people why they should never go out without full gear on.You should have the bike home by now?

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online