Route 66

meatloaf
This post is 3557 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm thinking of doing route 66 next year, one of the group things with proper guides and bikes supplied, when I ride I always wear a leather jacket and gortex trousers but I know that on a lot of the route it gets very hot which is fine while riding but there will also be a lot of walking around at the various stops along the way. Any suggestions as what to wear that will give protection should I need it but not fry my ball when walking about in the heat.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HAHA spend 3 weeks in a sauna before you go,then you will be used to the heat.

We get some real hot and humid weeks here in SWO but nothing can prepair you for the desert. Cammel back for water full of ice,sleep all day and ride at night or go spring or fall,

Fun trip but skip chiggao in the spring or fall they call it the windy city for a very good reason and when it starts raining it comes down in buckets and dosent stop,going through there in september was one of the scarriest ride of my life. A snow storm on ice would have been better. 6 lanes and I had verry little idea of what lane I was in for 3 hrs.And verry happy when I hit the border in Detroit

Fully vented armor for the desert and full gear for the north.

a better trip if you don't want to see the grand cannyon is down the east coast and Hit the dragons tail and through the mountans of Tennisse or the west coast Vancouver to LA. much better roads for biking the desert is straight as far as you can see for days

And of course the Stones CD which includes "Route 66"

I read somewhere recently that driving route 66 is in the top ten things us brits want to do before we die, well although I have driven along some of it about ten years ago but it was in a bloody great bus that had crap stearing now I want to do all of it riding a Harley.

I 've already been warned about the windy city and will probably go in June which I'm told is a good time to go.

Thanks for the advice about kevlar jeans, I don't know anything about them but I will do some research. To me an open face helmet is a no brainer as I always use one anyway.

When I was a kid the strolling bones were The band and their cover of route 66 is a classic and can never be beaten, of course I'll take a copy but maybe on my ipod.

good suntan cream so your bollocks dont burn

and do it naked lol

after all huge straight roads at times with nothing on them for miles

why wouldnt you........................................

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online