1989 xj600 with all the glam of spandau ballet !

richiedan40
This post is 3205 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

looking good, although toecutter would berate you as he rode a kwaker

Aye "shes ready to rock ritchie, :headbang: looks a bit like the old GPZ750 ,, :yeah:

Very snazzy, time to hit the road and get some smile miles done

ok lads , I need your help here , I,ll explain 1st , I pulled the left hand cover off yesterday to investigate the clutch problem. first thing I saw was one of the forks on the clutch basket was snapped off , looks like whoever had this bike before me had used a screw driver to lock up the basket whilst undoing the nut , the clutch has been operating fine so I guess this is not a major issue , please advise.

after further stripping I noticed there is a small pin which locates the oil pump drive cog on the rear of the clutch basket , this is loose in the basket/drive gear , neither the cog or the basket drillings seem worn or the pin for that matter , the pin appears to be too small because you can rotate the gear 3 to 4mm in both directions, what size should it be , there are no descriptives in the Haynes manual.

I,m certain this is the cause of the rumbling noise as I couldn't find any thing untoward anywhere else.

your help would be much appreciated lads.

if you require pictures I can down load later........I mean upload.........old fart disease rearing its ugly head again !

nice one paul , ive ordered them

ive also found a basket from an early diversion and it looks identical to mine . are they the same ?

and ...... would you go to the expense of replacing the basket just for one broken fork tip. ?

nice one paul , ive ordered them

ive also found a basket from an early diversion and it looks identical to mine . are they the same ?

and ...... would you go to the expense of replacing the basket just for one broken fork tip. ?

Use that website I linked and compare part numbers, for your basket and the diversion basket, I'd be looking to fit a good one if it were me Richie. If you struggle let me know the model number of the divvy and I'll have a go for you

ok lads , I need your help here , I,ll explain 1st , I pulled the left hand cover off yesterday to investigate the clutch problem. first thing I saw was one of the forks on the clutch basket was snapped off , looks like whoever had this bike before me had used a screw driver to lock up the basket whilst undoing the nut , the clutch has been operating fine so I guess this is not a major issue , please advise.

after further stripping I noticed there is a small pin which locates the oil pump drive cog on the rear of the clutch basket , this is loose in the basket/drive gear , neither the cog or the basket drillings seem worn or the pin for that matter , the pin appears to be too small because you can rotate the gear 3 to 4mm in both directions, what size should it be , there are no descriptives in the Haynes manual.

I,m certain this is the cause of the rumbling noise as I couldn't find any thing untoward anywhere else.

your help would be much appreciated lads.

if you require pictures I can down load later........I mean upload.........old fart disease rearing its ugly head again !

please read my post above re:pins

cheers drewpy , I did read your blog 1st time round , but I,m still not sure whats supposed to be going on cos the pin does not look worn and the receiving hole / slot in the basket and gear respectively don't look worn either , isn there supposed to be play in the gear or should it be an interferrance fit

cheers drewpy , I did read your blog 1st time round , but I,m still not sure whats supposed to be going on cos the pin does not look worn and the receiving hole / slot in the basket and gear respectively don't look worn either , isn there supposed to be play in the gear or should it be an interferrance fit

if the gear moves, its worn.

I had to drill the hole larger to accept the pin and drive it in. being spilt it will deform to fill in the wear.

Dear all , the clutch basket has still not arrived from the breakers , so little progress has been made. and summer is two thirds of the way through , although I have aquired a 6mm hardened dowel which I will use when the basket arrives , I milled the slot in the drive cog out to 6.05mm and will ream out the basket accordingly , I phoned the Yamaha technical help line last week and they were pretty much clueless , which didn't instill confidence , they said they,d get back to me , which they couldn't be ar$%d to do. Makes you think , doesn't it ?

any how whilst my xj is in bits I noticed a little play in the bearing on the drive shaft , the one the clutch sits on , and it is a little noisy when rotated by hand , before I spend any more money , is this normal or not ?

many thanks guys....look forward to your replies

ps are there any rallies etc in the north west in the coming week ?