1973 CT3 wont start wont idle

OSSA_Rider
This post is 3576 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone. New guy Bruce here. I'm trying to get the wife's '73 CT3 175cc back on the road after years of garage storage. When I "prime the pump" (put fuel in the cylinder through the plug hole) it will start and run as long as the RPMs are kept above idle. Don't know the RPM needed, the tach doesn't work. It seems to run just fine all through the gears & at all speeds but she will not idle & will not re-start when shut off. I've cleaned the carb as best I could w/carb cleaner aerosol. Am having great difficulty finding a rebuild kit or new carb on the net. Any idea? Part sources? Any help greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi bruce " :welcome: . the choke , does it work ? .also the pilot jet must be clogged, this controls idle and first 1/4 throttle operations,, the choke has a well [ in float bowl] a long brass pipe drops in to the well , the well has a small feed hole , clean it out.

, there diagrams on other posts,

Near as I can tell, the choke doesn't actually "choke" anything. It's a brass stem w/a black knob that pulls out to the left of the bike. When the carb is off, I checked it & can't really tell what it does, but it's obvious that it doesn't restrict air flow to the carb.

Which is the pilot jet & how do I go about accessing the diagrams on other posts? Sorry to be a pain but I'm pretty new at this forum stuff. I've normally been able to muddle through myself.

Thank you for the video Blackhat250! Any recommendations for a carb cleaning product? Probably can't get what this fellow used anymore. What about lacquer thinner? Should it be caustic?

I totally missed the pilot jet on this carb. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeh the pilot is your biggee" for problems,,, remember the choke well in the bowl, the long brass tube slide into it, it must be clear, as it fill thru little hole in bottom, ultra sonic cleaner is what i use,[ my mates] m blast airosol can cleaner thru passages. :yeah:

Thanks, again Blackhat250. Was just looking through you tube & found Methyl Ethyl Keytone (MET) recommended for carb cleaning. That's a carcinogen so you would have to be VERY careful with it. Don't know that I'd go quite that far. I'll just have to see what's available around here. Where I live isn't the end of the world but you can certainly see it from here.

Did a GOOGLE search for THYME-1 Carburetor and Cold Parts Cleaner & found it at an auto parts store about 10 miles from my place. Here, that's right next door!

Update on '72 CT3:

A tip o' the hat to Blackhat250! Just as you said sir, the pilot jet was totally plugged & the "choke" need a good cleaning. Now she starts AND idles. As soon as I iron out the lights, the wife will be able to take her old Yamaha for a spin when she want's to. A great big thank you to "The Master of Mikuni"!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online