XJ900F Ignition wiring help

DaftAlly
This post is 3477 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hoping someone can help me with this even though I'm now without a Yam since selling my XJ600N.

I'm sorting a mate's XJ900F since he got it back months after it should have been finished by someone who let him down. I've now done most of the rewiring but I am stuck on the wiring from the ignition pick ups to the CDI (ignition control module). I have a Haynes manual to help but I cannot find the wiring configuration for the aforementioned.

What I need to know is which wires go where into the CDI as the wiring has been cut and the multi plug block has been discarded. There is grey, orange and black wires from the pickup which should enter the CDI via a 4 terminal multi plug. To make matters worse, from what I remember from a few years ago, these wires change colour (or they did on his) before entering the CDI.

Can anyone help with this please as I'm loathe to go by trial and error in case I damage the expensive CDI module?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Basically your fucked then, if I were you I would get another set of connectors and rewire the thing back on, as trying to just make do and mend your going to end up with a cooked CDI unit unless your really good. I bought an old loom of off ebay for about £20 and chopped off what I needed and replaced all the broken cracked connectors that mine came with. Someone on here might have a better idea but really you should stick with the original setup. I know that was not what you were asking but that is my best advice if you just want to make it go like it should.

What year is this bike your doing up? my mates that im fixing is a 1984 so if yours is the same then i can take some pics for you BUT i do highly recomend doing what Slice said and get a new connector on before you do some expensive stupid damage.

All versions 83-94 have same wiring at pickup. Multi plug is obviously unavailable from Yamaha so plan A is to perhaps modify a generic one to fit. Plan B would be simple spade terminals and them attach a wiring diagram sticker to the CDI for future reference.

Obviously I'm soldering new bits of loom as necessary and using shrink wrap and new multi plugs and retained terminals to try to maintain originality as far as possible. The only mods are simplifying the loom for the streetfighter style and using a separate relay to feed the headlamp to take 2 original fuses, the ignition switch and right hand light switch out of the equation to minimise voltage drop to the headlamp circuit and to minimise current loading on the switchgear.

Hardly rocket science. I just need to know which wires go where as I don't have that information.

Ah I see where your coming from then, ok first things first, we ARE NOT ALLOWED to give out information that is copyrighted ie the wiring diagram, if we do, then the might of the British law will fall on us like a ton of bricks so that means if your actually looking for someone to copy and paste a set of diagrams to you then that's not going to happen, sorry and all but it's just how it is, my best advice would be to go on the net and see what you can find yourself cos the info your looking for is not here nor will it ever be here. The owner of this site has made it quite plain that if anyone does put up what your looking for then they and the person asking will recieve a note telling them that their company is no longer required and don't come back. Someone MIGHT!! be able to help you but I doubt it will be anyone here. Sorry mate but that's how it is. GOOGLE is your best friend. :sorry:

i just think he needs to know where on the block the different coloured wires go eg red/supply, which part of the block etc.

no copyright issues there.

I don't have a 900 so can't help

Ah ok then my bad!

I'll get out in the shed tomorrow at get a picture sorted

Thanks, noise. That would be appreciated. Alternatively you could just look at the back of the multi plug (which would be the same as looking at the CDI terminals) and say something like:

Top left- black

Bottom left- grey

Top right- orange

Bottom right- blank

Obviously I refer to the 4 pin multi plug which is on the left of the CDI.

That largely covers it. I had read the post about no copyright material. Ok, I appreciate nobody wants to get banned from here but I really was beginning to think that this whole copyright thing was actually stopping people from helping each other and completely defeating the purpose of the forum. Not quite thankfully. Anyway copyright or not (just on of the 26000 statutes in this country to cause someone to be fined or jailed) you can simply rebut any challenge and demand proof of (legally defined) contract. The Karl Lentz method so far appears the best way to avoid road traffic act entanglements.

Anyway, all this work is being done to chase the last half volt dropped somewhere between battery and the headlamp multi plug. I've already found nearly two volts on this which were previously lost in oxidised terminals, dirty switchgear and blackened wire cores. As this £400 stands it's owner quite a lot of money- probably about £1000 over the last 3 years I really can't see it being sold anytime in the foreseeable future. So it's looks like it's a keeper then which is why I figured I may as well get it right as I don't want to repeat the exercise in the next few years.

Here you go mate, hope this helps?

DSC_0753_zps7icylvaq.jpg

There you go Noise, that rusty old lump your repairing came in handy after all. :biglaugha:

• Like 1

Thanks noise. I appreciate the trouble you went to. Unfortunately I require pin data for the smaller plug on the left. It is a four terminal multiplug but only utilizes 3 of them as the bottom right is blank.

Ah, i see.

I will sort this out tonight for you.

• 5 weeks later...

As all's gone quiet on this one and I'm now at the point I have to try to get engine running (after the hanger bracket is made, the collector is welded and the Micron Race can goes on), yes, I'm ready to try to start the engine.

I figured that because it is a 3 wire system which contains 2 pick up coils, each pickup has 2 wires. That is, one positive each and a common negative between them. I guess it must be inductive pickup and not a 3 wire (per pickup) hall effect or similar. As such, there is no 5 volt reference wire to confuse things and increase the chances of damaging the CDI. Because of this, I have decided to just give it my best (educated) guess as to which wire goes where on the CDI left multiplug. I have got the coils switching so all seems to be ok. However, once I have the other jobs done, I'll post back so anyone else looking for the same has an answer.

Other than that I'm quite chuffed all the work has produced just over 14 volts onto the headlamp bulb terminals (not the loom terminals) when the headlamp is on (circuit under load) and engine running. Minimal voltage drop throughout this wiring loom now.

Finally, I have a spare multiplug casing to fit the CDI into which I'll fit new terminals to keep it factory.

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online