Are 2 strokes long distance runners?

mcferreira100
This post is 3561 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Somebody mentioned to me it is not advisable to run 2 strokes for long distances..no more than 100km at a time. Is there any truth to this..can a 2 stroke cruise (obviously not at high revs) all day long without risk to the engine?

Will my RD350 be ok to go touring?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I rode my rz everywhere,but they are not comfortable,well not by touring standards anyway, and they dont like to cruse at one speed ,it loads up the eng tending to foul plugs.

As with any 2t they like to be reved out/cleaned out

Even with the rubber mounting you probably wont want to be in the saddel for much more than 200kms at a time anyway the vibrations will have part's of your body going numb.

But if your just asking can the motor take it yep no problem,you will just be doing top end rebuilds more often, I cant remember what the service interval is but 10k kms or 5k miles is a good time to freshen the top end with new rings at least.

Makes sense..never ridden an RD so have yet to experience the vibration. If it vibrates as much as my XT500 then long distance will be uncomfortable..with that bike after 40kms I lose all feeling in my fingers and backside.

It wont be as bad as the XT500, thers a RPM which will be realy bad vibes, just tay above or below that rev band,

I rode my H2 750 to france and back,,,1800 mls in 5 days. some days 400mls,,,, Mates used to tour on LC500 Yams in the 1980"s,,

:jossun:

Makes sense..never ridden an RD so have yet to experience the vibration. If it vibrates as much as my XT500 then long distance will be uncomfortable..with that bike after 40kms I lose all feeling in my fingers and backside.

Different type of vibe that is a much higher frequency that sends bits of you numb. Your glad their fuel economy has you filling up every 100mls.

I did 160mls last year to squires. Over 500 for the weekend.

can you bollox use an rd350 for touring .

motorways are notorious 2stroke killers..

after an hour in the saddle your whole body is just jelly and you want to die.

I havnt an LC however my RD350B will cruise at 60mph very easly at the vibs were not a problem and I suffer from white finger. The reason for this speed was running in as said change the rpm every now and then to help your plugs. Its also was returning 45mpg which even I was surprised at!

my main problem on motorway work with the LC is constant use of the gears,

mine won't hold a steady speed,

so it's up and down the box all the way.. better to use the B roads on an LC.. much more fun too.

Kind of in my opinion.

Had a mx125. Rotax 122 33hp bike. Used on dual carriageway every day for a year. I used to not hold it at top revs for long periods of time. Would roll off. Down change accelerate hard then carry on as normal.

• 3 weeks later...

I managed 120 miles on my xt500 doing 50 to 60 miles per hour , 1 fifteen minute break

and I had white finger for a few hours when I got home.

It was still a good ride .

TTB

Used to do 75 miles each way to my first base on a DT50, took a couple of hours though :P

Yes I have also done Lincoln to Barnsley on a Suzuki ts50 when I was a nipper.

Obviously taking a detour where the motorway starts.

TTB

5 of the Air Cooled RD club members have just come back from the south of France where they did 2500 miles in a week.

Well only 4 made it, two if them had RD250E air cooled's, one RD400C and the other was a RD400E. the RD350B never made it due to the electric ignition failing.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online