2009 V Star Classic (XVS650) Starts, Idles & dies

V Star
This post is 3543 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello!

I'm new here & so glad I joined the forum. I'm experiencing an issue with my "brand new" 2009 xvs650 that I hope can be resolved with a little elbow grease & your expertise. I can get it start but for a mere few seconds and then it dies. Dare I try to roll on the throttle, it shuts off quickly.

Here's The Deets:

V-star has been sitting for 6 mos

- Charged the batt, tried to start it (w/ the choke out, fuel ON), it started and died after a few seconds

- Checked the air filter (just for kicks), added Sea Foam to fuel tank...got it to stay on longer but still died

- Drained the fuel (to check to see how bad it looked, to my surprise it looked pretty great..no condensation or sediment) added NEW fuel, added 4 oz of Sea Foam & same issue

I believe there's some issue with the carburetor but don't know what...oh & guess what? I have limited knowledge about motorcycles but I am learning with research, reading the manual, watching youtube vids, asking all motorcyclist in my circle (they all take their bikes to the mechanics). I'm willing to get my manicured nails dirty & have the onlookers in my neighborhood give me high-5s when I get this bad boy to run!..and keep running.

Any and all help wanted

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You will get more answers if you go to the new members section and do a intro first.

Are you sure you are pulling the choke all the way out?

V-star has been sitting for 6 mos

And right there is problem number one...

Petroleum (gasoline, for the Yanks) fuel breaks down after about six weeks... Your Dragstar (V-Star for the Yanks) has been sat for over six *months*!!

Chuck it away and get some new fuel fresh from the pump.

But before you go doing that, I recommend a top-to-tail service.

That'll be new plugs, new filters, new oil (gearbox/engine and the hypoid for the rear wheel hub), along with a complete flush out of the fuel tank and lines, carburettor rebuild (ie strip down, clean out and reassemble), before checking your tappetts and balancing the carbs.

Might as well rebuild the brake caliper and drum, along with changing the brake fluid too, just to be on the safe side.

Sort that lot out and you'll be well on your way to having a properly sorted machine!!

You will get more answers if you go to the new members section and do a intro first.

Are you sure you are pulling the choke all the way out?

Thank you Campaman, will do. Yes, I am pulling the choke, all the way out. That's the only way I can even get the engine to purr.

Hey love,

have you tried the tick over at all? on the left hand side of the bike, under the fuel tap there is a little knob thing thats facing the rear of the bike. turn that 1-2 full turns clockwise and see if she starts and idles.

Next thing i'd check are the spark plugs.

next will be strip and clean the carbs

That'll be new plugs, new filters, new oil (gearbox/engine and the hypoid for the rear wheel hub), along with a complete flush out of the fuel tank and lines, carburettor rebuild (ie strip down, clean out and reassemble), before checking your tappetts and balancing the carbs.

Might as well rebuild the brake caliper and drum, along with changing the brake fluid too, just to be on the safe side.

Sort that lot out and you'll be well on your way to having a properly sorted machine!!

Too late, I already drained & discarded the "old" fuel..that's a good tip to know about fuel.

I'm very confident I can change the plugs (watched a vid on youtube) as for the other items...wowzers, I may have to get a mechanic to do (man, I really want to avoid that).

You're awesome, thanks for the info

Too late, I already drained & discarded the "old" fuel..that's a good tip to know about fuel.

I'm very confident I can change the plugs (watched a vid on youtube) as for the other items...wowzers, I may have to get a mechanic to do (man, I really want to avoid that).

You're awesome, thanks for the info

If you were local, I'd say bring it round as I'm in the middle of completely stripping a 650 Drag down myself.

Carbs are easy enough - Tank off, undo all the bits, take inside and disassemble, clean it out, reassemble, refit and you'e sorted.

The difficult part comes if any bolts have gone rusty.

The brake caliper is even easier. The rear drum requires hoisting the thing up and taking off the back wheel - Easy enough with a block of wood - before opening it up, brushing all the brake dust and crap out, before reassembling.

Plugs, oil and filters are easy peasy.

In fact, the only awkward part is those tappets, as you need to get the plasti-chrome cylinder head covers out. Much gentle wiggling needed.

Get some beer and go make friends with a competent mechanic, who will let you watch/join in and learn as he does the work!! :)

Next thing i'd check are the spark plugs.

Noise,

I think I know what you're talking about...what does that manipulate, the choke? I'm heading out to check the spark plugs today. Thanks!

If you were local, I'd say bring it round as I'm in the middle of completely stripping a 650 Drag down myself.

Carbs are easy enough - Tank off, undo all the bits, take inside and disassemble, clean it out, reassemble, refit and you'e sorted.

The difficult part comes if any bolts have gone rusty.

The brake caliper is even easier. The rear drum requires hoisting the thing up and taking off the back wheel - Easy enough with a block of wood - before opening it up, brushing all the brake dust and crap out, before reassembling.

Plugs, oil and filters are easy peasy.

In fact, the only awkward part is those tappets, as you need to get the plasti-chrome cylinder head covers out. Much gentle wiggling needed.

Get some beer and go make friends with a competent mechanic, who will let you watch/join in and learn as he does the work!! :)

T,

yes that would be great but alas, I live across the pond.

Changed the spark plugs & boy did they need it. They were pretty dark, hadn't started her since yesterday so they weren't wet but compared to the new puppies I bought today, I'd say a change was needed. So I started it up & it ran for just over 2mins & died....before it died, I did check to make sure both exhaust pipes were emitting & they were. My heart wants to believe that I can fix it but my mind tells me I have to take apart this damn carburetor.

Any other suggestions before I get down & dirty w/ this carburetor?

Sounds like the pilot jets are blocked ,, they control idle & first throttle opening,, i take it its idling with the choke on , and dies as soon as chokes off :eusa_think:

Sounds like the pilot jets are blocked ,, they control idle & first throttle opening,, i take it its idling with the choke on , and dies as soon as chokes off :eusa_think:

That's correct, it idles with the choke on. Are the pilot jets in the carburetor or near it?

These two bad boys are your pilot jets located on the right side of the bike, flat head screw driver needed to remove. You will need to remove the fuel tank to get good access (how to here

srightsidecoverson_zpse0ef1be9.jpg

And here is a site (i hope is the right one for you) that sell new ones

http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/yamaha_650_XVS650_V-star.htm

Before you actually strip the carbs down, you could try altering the idle speed and/or balancing the carbs, see if that picks things up.

The idle is easy enough. Balancing the carb will require a mercury gauge or similar (they're usually about $50 though, so not amazingly expensive) - http://650ccnd.com/sync.htm

Just remember, this thing isn't a Harley. It should NOT be sat there going "Ka-chug... ka-chug... ka-chug...ka-chug...".

The sound you want is closer to a tractor - sort of an even, deep-ish "Dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga"... and when you rev it up a bit, it should be a growly, but well-mannered roar... sort of a "YAAAAAAMMMMMMMA-HAAAAA" sound, in fact!!

If this doesn't do the trick, then I'm afraid a strip-down and clean is the way... but take heart - It's fairly easy and you will learn a lot!

How about a Carb Sync tool for less than that!? not sure how well it will work tho but this guy seams happy that it works very well

http://www.650ccnd.com/mano.htm

Also i did sugest looking at the tick over first so dont steel my idea Task :finger:

Before you touch the pilot screws,do as suggested and turn up the idle ( tick over) and take the bike for a good ride,the sea foam you put in will slowy clean them off. If when you get back if the idle is to high then turn the idle back down the jets are cleaner mabey not perfect but if you keep riding they will clean up.

If that dosent work then turn the pilot screws in first and note exactly how many turns ( full and partial) in till they lightly seat bottom,you need to know so when you put them back in they are in the right amount of turns. Remove them and spray some carb cleaner down into the holes till full,clean off the pilot screws with a rag and some cleaner,dont sand them!, and replace after a hour or so to let the carb cleaner do it's thing.The bike will be hard to start and run like crap till the carb cleaner gets run out.

Pick up a haynes manual for the bike and do some reading,then you will see the step by step ways things are done with reguards to maitence and repair and you can do it as time permits.Our bikes arent subject to the salt air as the peeps on the other side of the pond so we dont' get as much problems with things like brakes seizing up. Have fun learning and we are alwasy a click away for help.

Also i did sugest looking at the tick over first so dont steel my idea Task :finger:

Meh... 'Great minds' and all that

Besides, you stole my idea of running a 650 Drag without any oil in, if I recall, so I'd say that kinda makes us even... :1poke:

• Like 1

Ah Tu Shay,

So V Star, how you getting on? any progress?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my peeps!

I've been on travel for the past week but now I'm back & ready to rock! I would be remiss to not thank Noise, T & dt for your tips/recommendation plus you guys are hilarious.

Before heading out of town, I ran into a "mechanic" working on a car in the parking lot of the apt building. We chatted, he said he'd take a look at V (yup, that's what I call her). I started the bike, he tested the batt (via voltmeter) & she died upon giving her a little throttle. Started it back up, he removed the air filter cap & filter, placed a T-shirt over the hole, & gave it gas like 4 times...she didn't die, I was amazed! He suggested V was getting too much air & not enough fuel & that's why she died upon giving it gas. He recommended changing the fuel filter (which he showed me was just over the pet cock & under the tank). So now I have to watch a vid on how to remove the fuel filter, get the part & dare I say it...get V back on the road. Hope to get this done over the next 2 days.

I'll keep you posted on my progress...no mechanic shop for me!

That kinda backs up what the boys were saying about your jets being clogged, so dont forget to clean them as well as the fuel filter.

Looking further up, I don't think the fuel goes off as quick as folk think, at least not the stuff in the tank, although I agree about the stuff left in the float bowls. My reasoning is this. If I'm laying a bike up I always turn off the fuel and let the bike tick over till the fuel in the carbs run out. Anytime I go to start the bikes they always start after a few kicks and this is the old fuel still left in the tank. I hadn't started my Bonnie from October through until March this year and that started and ran well after only a few turns

• Like 1

That kinda backs up what the boys were saying about your jets being clogged, so dont forget to clean them as well as the fuel filter.

Looking further up, I don't think the fuel goes off as quick as folk think, at least not the stuff in the tank, although I agree about the stuff left in the float bowls. My reasoning is this. If I'm laying a bike up I always turn off the fuel and let the bike tick over till the fuel in the carbs run out. Anytime I go to start the bikes they always start after a few kicks and this is the old fuel still left in the tank. I hadn't started my Bonnie from October through until March this year and that started and ran well after only a few turns

Man! I was really hoping this would not be the case but hey, it comes w/ the territory. Well, it's on to changing the fuel filter & carb cleaning.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online