1980 DT175G Running Problems (US Model)

This post is 3420 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Your bike doesnt have a low speed coil or a high speed coil...just a 'source' coil and a pulser coil for the ignition...and a lighting/charging coil for the electricals.

I reckon you just need to sort out the carb for tickover, it may be only the screw settings if you're lucky.

Try screwing in the throttle stop adjuster screw to achieve an idle (clockwise)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am constantly messing with the throttle stop adjuster screw. It doesn't matter which way I turn it, it makes no difference. I must have cleaned the carb out a dozen times. I have replaced the needle valve assembly and washer. I have also made sure the little hole in the float bowl is clear. What else can I check?

I am constantly messing with the throttle stop adjuster screw. It doesn't matter which way I turn it, it makes no difference. I must have cleaned the carb out a dozen times. I have replaced the needle valve assembly and washer. I have also made sure the little hole in the float bowl is clear. What else can I check?

if you twist the throttle a barely noticeable amount the revs increase...Right?

Just went for a blast up the street and she is running fine apart from not ticking over when warm. No more flat spots anywhere in the power range. bike ticks over around 2-3 grand when cold with choke on. When warm bike will not tick over with choke on. Just tried it again and it is trying to tickover with the choke off- only for a couple of seconds. If I twist the throttle a tiny bit you can definitely notice the revs increasing.

Ta very much - I was going to paint it, then I thought "they are original once" left it alone. I am Not even going to replace the seat cover until I have to.

Very nice mate, great additions too.

If you've had the carb apart what groove did you put circlip onto the top of the needle?

Having said that, I've just looked in the Haynes manual in the supplement pages 118/119 for the 175G its states its FIXED ie no slot.

Its also interesting to note that for the pilot air screw it states PRESET.

I assume from that its not adjustable. Perhaps thats why Airheads not seen one?

Probably is just a screw as the carb body will not be any different.

In the supplement it also goes on to state:

Note: Later US models only- where pilot air screw is marked 'preset'. it is set at the factory and should not be disturbed except by qualified personnel using the correct equipment

Whats all that about then? Are they discouraging DIY for a reason? Risk of being sued? or just one of those Amercian things?

Although my view is If thats what it says.....................its just asking to be taken apart!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online