1980 DT175G Running Problems (US Model)

This post is 3441 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok I just put it back together and fired it up without the crankcase on. Problem is still there - You can only hear the noise each time the motor cycles down after reving it. I pulled the mag an noticed the tipex had slightly worn off of one of the coil bottoms and one small area on one of the magnets on the magneto. This half of the magnet and the one next to it are much more worn than the other magnets. Any idea what could be causing this to happen?

so if the bearins are fine as you say, there can only be one other possibility

answer this

when you screw in your flywheel puller bolt it should tighten up solid then 'BANG' the bolt breaks the taper and you pull the flywheel off by hand...how's yours?

OK then, youre happy with the bearings, there's no play. I'm happy with the seating of the rotor taper, it comes off with a bang. All you can do then is

1: give all the magnets a wiggle, they're all tight arent they?

2: Dress the iron core of any coil at the point where the tipex is rubbed off, use a file to just remove a little of the material, you can see the evidence, it has left a burr on the edge of the core hasnt it....Just dress it a little at that area....proper fettling :D

Magnet all are tight. I just gave them all a wiggle per your suggestion. I will very carefully dress the iron coil in question.

I nearly forgot to tell you the bike idled for a minute when I started it without the crankcase cover.

Magnet all are tight. I just gave them all a wiggle per your suggestion. I will very carefully dress the iron coil in question.

I nearly forgot to tell you the bike idled for a minute when I started it without the crankcase cover.

Thats interesting, something else to tinker with

so sort the coils and then compare the idle with and without the cover several times to see if that was a fluke or if it's repeatable...I'm off now fettler

Airhead - Ta very much my friend - you Sussed it! It was a hard piece of that wax stuff protruding from the bottom of one of the coils. I simple removed it with a ladies wooden nail file and the noise has gone!

It's actually running a little better too. No problems from zero revs right up to 4500 grand. It hesitates between 4500-5000 grand and then she's off again. I am ok with this. I am more bothered about the fact she won't tickover. Is the low speed coil knackered? Like I said before I am ok with mechanicals - totally crap with electrics.

She needin air to idle,,,and that crank seal fooked , :eusa_think:

Also ,I think the lowspeed is done by the cdi at this age of DT,,,

But it's a brand new crank seal. I think my friend has a CDI I could try. I will do anything to get it running right. Can't sit at traffic lights with no tickover!