1981 DT175 oil pump compartment flooded

This post is 3451 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I have been reading on and off in the forums since we snatched up a 1981 DT175 about

three weeks ago. We have since gotten busy and fixed it up for my significant other as

her first bike.

Last weekend I wanted to clean out the autolube system and when I removed the

cover for the pump I was greeted by an oily mess, the whole think was full of

2 smoke oil.

Now one would think thats not normal, a hose goes in the pump from the reservoir

aka inlet and one goes out aka outlet. Both are connected properly. Anyone got any

hints? I cleaned everything up and left the cover off, doesnt seem like anything is

leaking (right now).

I have serveral bikes, but not many are as fun as this little wheelie machine!!

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

And it was not transmission oil? There's a seal where the drive shaft comes out. Could the oil have come falling from the ypvs (does it have one) cover and then gradually found its way under the oil pump cover. Bit far fetched but still...

Ha, no ypvs. Could be gearbox oil but unlikely. The hoses have a habit of perishing at the clips.

It may be oil pump its self but unlikely.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

sorry for the late reply, i've been head of heels in other projects :)

The oil is definitly two stroke, you can tell by the color, my gear oil is more a gold color,

the two stroke is blood red. I cleaned out all the oil and I'm sure it is back in there by

now (haven't looked but will tonight). So at this point I will presume the pump itself has

blown a seal if I find oil in there again, perhaps I can run it without the cover on and see

if there is some squeezing buy and filing up the area.

It is still pumping out oil on the little tube, I can see it move in there.

Took it for a 6 mile ride today, brings total milage for the year to maybe 15... expect

for the idle screw being set too high at operating temp and a slight wobble in the

front wheel (must have hit a root in the woods) it seemed fine by my standards. Might

have the clutch creep up on me soon, but thats an easy fix.

Cheers