1984 XJ900 heap of crap

Noise
This post is 3566 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well just picked up my mates XJ900 that he wants me to fix as he snapped a chunk off of the cylinder head.

Only thing is i forgot how much of a heap of crap it really was till i turned up with the van.

The brand new motec 4-1 exhaust he's bought for it looks 10x more expensive than the actual bike, but as like us all this is his baby and im more than happy to help.him ride it again. Thing is he only thinks I'm doing the engine but in reality im going to fix the paint and make it look as good as the day he got it. Polish up the metal work, fix the hand levers as he only has half a brake lever, clear coat the fuel tank and remove the rust on most of the parts.

Once i get it out the van I'll post pics

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds good can we have before and after photo's

You're a kind man Noise. Looking forward to seeing pics.

aren't you going to be tight on space, what with your divi 600 project? hope your not leaving betty out in the rain :eusa_think:

Good on you,I always end up doing more than what people ask for just cant help myself from not fixing things that arent right but simple to fix up,makes people want to come back and spend more without haveing to ask them.And any excuse to hang out in the man cave is a good one,and you will keep honeing your skills at the same time.

Thanks guys, its always a nice feeling helping a mate out in need, plus its another reason to get into the man cave! went you see the pics your see why i also wanted to do a bit more on it as it just looks so sorry for itself i just thought that a few important nuts and bolts need to be changed and some rust treatment here and there wouldn't go a miss.

Betty and the purple helmet are both locked up under cover in my car port so both are dry and safe so dont worry Tommy, the car port still has enough room for about 8 more bikes then its just a case of taking over the kitchen and living room next ;)

After 5 hours of work i finally got the cam covers and the head off and took a nice chunk of skin off my finger to which my mate pulled it off the engine dowel and handed it to me, thankfully it didn't go down to the bone but been told by the chemist to keep and eye on it just incase i got any rust or oil in it.

Any way enough waffle here are some piccies.

DSC_0722_zps5ckkx10k.jpg

DSC_0723_zpswbfdyzee.jpg

DSC_0729_zpsykr7ghdz.jpg

DSC_0730_zpsqpvykjif.jpg

DSC_0731_zpswuoiqqlu.jpg

DSC_0733_zps9gml6vfu.jpg

Even the carbs are close to being fooked

DSC_0734_zpsskg3gulw.jpg

DSC_0738_zpsl7txztnf.jpg

Head finally off

DSC_0739_zpskrlploua.jpg

DSC_0741_zpstels0i4p.jpg

Offending exhaust stud that snapped and is the reason for all this.

DSC_0740_zpsxtbvizqi.jpg

How it sits today till the parts arrive tomorrow

DSC_0743_zpsb7vqx06t.jpg

DSC_0742_zpsf3hptzhr.jpg

• Like 2

That is one sorry mess of neglect,he would be better to eliminate the oil cooler if he can't aford to replace the lines they look like if you looked at them to long they would develop a leak.

Nothing left to work with on the ex stud so thats going to need to be drilled out,and by the looks of thing over all time to change them all. Would hate to try and put it back together only to another one snap off,now while you can get heat into them easy would be the time to do it, Iknow I wouldnt put it back together with the old ones.

Good luck with it.

you can build the weld up with that stud, it won't stick to ali using a stick welder, then finish off welding on a nut. let it cooll and it should move.

I do all of them studs.

try some ally wheel cleaner on the engine, its phosphoric acid based and should help get rid of the white dust

Cheers for all the tips guys will be a massive help on the 600 ive got. I used some Gunk on this motor and some ally wheel cleaner already but this head isn't going back on as he has ordered a new one which is being delivered tomorrow morning which has already had all the studs removed so some nice stainless steel blots are going in that one with some copper slip so this will never happen again.

Started sorting out his paint work last night with some auto glym paint renovator and deep shine wax, and polished up his fork legs and other ally bits n bobs. the bottom end and barrelshave been jet washed and de-gunked and have now been sprayed matt black with the left over BBQ paint i had so its looking rather snazzy now.

If you strip the carbs - or split them into singles - I will ultrasonic clean them for the cost of the return postage if you are interested.

Na im not going that far with this one mate but my take you up on the offer with the xj600 carbs. ;)

This one is literally a top end replacement and tart up and out the door job just to get some pennies to put into the 600.

Here we go Sniff, quick little up date.

The new head was delivered yesterday morning so will be getting this fixed up looking nice before it goes on the bottom end spent last night cleaning it with gunk and wire brushes.

DSC_0747_zps7ochnsvp.jpg

Swing arm has been stripped and painted and the axle has now been given some axle greese.

DSC_0746_zpsa1dohz2e.jpg

and the engine is starting to look presentable too

DSC_0748_zps7t2lz8fx.jpg

DSC_0749_zpspj6my9rc.jpg

Ignore my finger prints in that pic they will be covered up by the DOHC sticker i removed from that cover. dip shit here though the paint had dried :eusa_doh:

DSC_0750_zpspp8sactg.jpg

Cam cover didn't come out as well as i hoped tho, some thing must have reacted with the paint in places

DSC_0752_zps6vmskvmr.jpg

Fork legs are much better than before after some elbow greese and auto sol

DSC_0751_zpsau301czs.jpg

few bits and bobs i'll get sorted tonight but most of my efforts need to go on this head and get the motor back together and check out if all is ok before i get it out the door.

I know its a bit late but BLOODY HELL what a mess! I'm out of the country at the mo being the reason.

Question did the head come off fairly easy as I'm thinking of buying an early model myself.

Um..................yes and no, once i found that there is actually 12 top bolts and 6 bottom bolts holding it on (not 8 top 6 bottom) then it came off really nicely with only a slight tap from my plastic dead hammer. Thing that i noticed is that the 4 top bolts that are closest to the cam chain cogs are in a water trap area thus rust very badly and go from needing a 14mm socket to needing a 12mm socket and a hammer, and the same go with the two inner spark plugs.

Other bits i've noticed on doing this one is the starter motor is keen to blow as thats the 4th one he's had in it now and the stock air filter box only comes out once you have removed the carbs and starter motor.

Funny, I found exactly all that when I did a head job on a mate's XJ900 over 3 years ago. I was fortunate with the exhaust studs though but had to butcher one of the collars though. Since then new collars were made which meant a new collector had to be made.

I found the worst part getting the carbs off as there's hardly any room in the frame. Anyway, your mate's bike was a sorry state. Looks like some hard work. Keep going as I bet it'll be nice when finished though.

BTW, any chance of help with my post in workshop area about the XJ900 ignition wiring please?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online