stripping wheels

x-kid
This post is 3566 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm wanting to strip the rims of my bike and polish them up to a mirrored finish, i have heard that modern day paint can be a real pain to remove. Anyone know of a good paint stripper? i have heard that aircraft remover is good but cant find it in the U.K. Once i have the paint off, how is the best way to get a mirrored finish?

Thanks

X-KID

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm wanting to strip the rims of my bike and polish them up to a mirrored finish, i have heard that modern day paint strippers are useless. Anyone know of a good paint stripper? i have heard that aircraft remover is good but cant find it in the U.K. Once i have the paint off, how is the best way to get a mirrored finish?

Thanks

X-KID

edited for accuracy, try starchem synstrip, comes in a 5l container and will work best if the rim is submersed for 1/2 hour before jet washing but this would remove the paint from the inside of the rim too!

Scratch the paint with a wire brush, then a libberal amount of DOT4 will work.

Nitromorse used to be great but they seam to have made it hippy freindly now :wank4az:

Thanks for the replies guys, the idea of submersing the rim is great, but i only want to remove the paint from the edges of the rim, and the sides of the cast spokes that face outwards. would masking off all other areas and applying starchem synstrip to the areas i want stripping with a brush work??

If your just doing the edges mate then this modern day paint is so crap all you need to do is get some 250 - 140 grit wet and dry and just sand it off. you will find any paint stripper will bleed under any masking tape and lift off paint you want to stay on. Yes sanding it down seams like a massive task but sit infront of the TV or listen to the radio and you'll soon be done.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online