YBR125, Back ride light not working (Solved)

Tpex Rath
This post is 3222 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I think this all started when I tried to replace my front "dim light" with a LED strip, it worked perfectly till I put the face back on (and looked rather sexy too I might add)

Anyways, It seems the back ride light (the one that stays on all the time, so other road users can see you from behind) is connected to the front in series, becuase when that doesn't work neither does the back, I checked the back bulbs, both fine. of course I tried putting the orginal front light back but it seems I may have damaged something deeper, both lights would flicker every now and then with moving of the wires and vibrations.

Went back today with a multimeter with the intent of stripping the wires as I assumed it had worn between the plugs, but even cutting back into the obviusly healthy wire (before it goes into the tube to the ECU) provides no reading. replaced the plugs anyway, still no change.

Any ideas? There is only one fuse on the bike isnt there?

Edited by Tpex Rath
Solved

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So when you switch your front light off , your back light goes off as well ? Sounds ok to me , unless you've left off the connection for the park/ride light .Was the original light working properly ? And if so , why ...... Ah , to be a teenager again , "tuning"/seizing DT's like they were going out of fashion .

Would it be possible to reroot the back ride light to run off the same wires as the main headlight without any problems? They both run on 12 volts don't they?

So when you switch your front light off , your back light goes off as well ? Sounds ok to me , unless you've left off the connection for the park/ride light .Was the original light working properly ? And if so , why ...... Ah , to be a teenager again , "tuning"/seizing DT's like they were going out of fashion .

No, back ride light doesn't work at all, neither does the front, only the main headlight works, and the indicaters and break lights of course.

Why? because this looked too cool :D I never learn my lesson.

5jBk3ci.jpg

I see you have LED's on the front but do you have LED's on the back? That might be why your having this problem, I seem to remember from somewhere that LED's need different current/amp rating to standard light bulbs, not to sure about this but it might point to a solution to your difficulty. My best guess anyway. :eusa_think:

PS just reread your post so you do have LED'S. DOH!! :shakeno:

I see you have LED's on the front but do you have LED's on the back? That might be why your having this problem, I seem to remember from somewhere that LED's need different current/amp rating to standard light bulbs, not to sure about this but it might point to a solution to your difficulty. My best guess anyway. :eusa_think:

PS just reread your post so you do have LED'S. DOH!! :shakeno:

Nope, reconnected the the standard bulbs. it did work if i moved the wires around, but now nothing, can't find the fault.

Ok so what your saying is that if you move the wiring/bulb around the light either comes on or flickers correct? If that's the case then it has to be the bulb holder or the contact to the bulb that is the root of your problem, if it flickers or goes out further up the cable then I would think it's probably a faulty wire or connector, try putting a multimeter on the wire end and then on the furthest connector away from the bulb and see if the connection can be broken, that would point to a broken wire internally, my best guess anyway. :eusa_think:

Ok so what your saying is that if you move the wiring/bulb around the light either comes on or flickers correct? If that's the case then it has to be the bulb holder or the contact to the bulb that is the root of your problem, if it flickers or goes out further up the cable then I would think it's probably a faulty wire or connector, try putting a multimeter on the wire end and then on the furthest connector away from the bulb and see if the connection can be broken, that would point to a broken wire internally, my best guess anyway. :eusa_think:

It used to be like that, now it doesn't give any power, tested the wires all the way before the bunch up and go into a covering that carries them to the ECU, with a multimeter

Why the hell did Yamaha connect them in series! :eusa_doh:

I see now what your saying, don't think I can help then as if it was mine I would rip the wiring out and redo it, there must be a fault either in the light switch or the ignition switch as that's where the lights draw their power from. Best I can do mate, it's a trip to the workshop I think unless you can get a mobile electrician to come visit, there is a guy where I live who will turn out to sort your electrical gremlins but it's not cheap, look in your local directory to see if there's anyone close.

.......Both lights would flicker every now and then with moving the wires and vibrations.

you've answered your own problem in your first post! because that is NOT supposed to happen no matter how old your bike is!

I had a similar problem on one of my bikes, if I moved the wiring loom the lights would go out, In fact I traced it to moving the steering which would make the lights go out/flicker (ie the wiring loom around the headstock).

If you checked the wires with a multimeter without doing anything else it would have "passed".....until you moved the wires/loom!

Turned out that moisture had corroded one of the wires resulting in a poor joint, every time you moved the steering the slight movement on the loom stressed the joint.

I peeled back the insulation found the wires -repaired the offending joint , and have had no trouble since.

Yours might not be down to corrosion, but it points to the wiring being the source of your problem, it might simply be a connector which has come slightly apart and simply needs plugging back in.

Remember most problems are caused by simple little things!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know if this will help in any way but my lights flickered then failed on my ybr and in was because of ignition barrel being dirty inside. It also stopped my speedo working so a good squirt of wd40 and pushin key in n out several times while wiping key clean worked a charm.

• 8 months later...

.......Both lights would flicker every now and then with moving the wires and vibrations.

you've answered your own problem in your first post! because that is NOT supposed to happen no matter how old your bike is!

I had a similar problem on one of my bikes, if I moved the wiring loom the lights would go out, In fact I traced it to moving the steering which would make the lights go out/flicker (ie the wiring loom around the headstock).

If you checked the wires with a multimeter without doing anything else it would have "passed".....until you moved the wires/loom!

Turned out that moisture had corroded one of the wires resulting in a poor joint, every time you moved the steering the slight movement on the loom stressed the joint.

I peeled back the insulation found the wires -repaired the offending joint , and have had no trouble since.

Yours might not be down to corrosion, but it points to the wiring being the source of your problem, it might simply be a connector which has come slightly apart and simply needs plugging back in.

Remember most problems are caused by simple little things!

Sorry life took over and I had to live with the problem, eventually hooked up a 9V Battery with 2 LEDs to the back with a manual switch, will give it another look over, thank you.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to it, results where mixed...

USED this as a guide

Testing between all the blue wires said they where okay,

Between switch,aux bulb, back right light, dash lights.

Weird thing was the voltage:

To the Aux Bulb 1v - 0.8v
To the Ride light 0.6v - 0.8v
To the Switch 3.2v - 2.8v

And the plug connection below the switch 4v-3v

Now this tech diagram says they should all be 12V

Anyways I tried to skip the connection in the body, by putting a new wire between the switch and the aux bulb (like so, bright green wire) this makes all three lights work, except the back light is now on full blast, which means one can't see the break light.

Electrical problems are tricky.

The fuses are good. Secondly where did you actually check those voltages and to what.

The tail light will not be bright enough to outshine the brake light so you have an issue there.

The 'ride' light which im assuming is low beam is on an entirely separate circuit to the side light (aux). They only share an earth?

I would be checking the earths in the headlight.

• Like 1

Electrical problems are tricky.

The fuses are good. Secondly where did you actually check those voltages and to what.

The tail light will not be bright enough to outshine the brake light so you have an issue there.

The 'ride' light which im assuming is low beam is on an entirely separate circuit to the side light (aux). They only share an earth?

I would be checking the earths in the headlight.

You telling me! bane of my life!

I checked the voltages where they would go to the bulb, (replaced the bulb with the multimeter leads) same with the switch.

I suspect, somehow its lighting both elements in the bulb, didn't think to check last night, will check tomorrow or Sunday.

I checked the earths (black wire right?) to both the body and the negative terminal of the battery, and both show a continuity.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online