engine seems to be hunting

nev-spark
This post is 3578 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

just bought xvs 950 midnight star 2009, first ride and if under 40mph I had to be in 3rd, or if crusing only managed if in 3rd or 4th and even then engine seemed to be hunting felt like piston slap? goes ok if exelerating,

any one any ideas

Nev

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hunting?

You mean with a tweed outfit and a shotgun?

Hunting?

You mean with a tweed outfit and a shotgun?

:babyha: ,,,

Carbs mate , air leak at joints,, rubbers- etc,,,

carbs? I have a carb on my bike and I don`t know? :))

under 40 you must be in 3. this is the bike, 30 m/h change to 3, 40m/h to 4, 50-55mph to 5. when I had fitted an o2jack, I manage to run with no problem at 40 m/h in 5th gear.

I manage to run with no problem at 40 m/h in 5th gear.

I can do 30mph in 5th easy on my 650 :tounge:

Never heard it called 'hunting' before...

A lot of race cars and drag cars do it Ttasky, sounds like they are picking up revs then dropping below tick over constantly

I can do 30mph in 5th easy on my 650 :tounge:

we are sure about this. you need 6 speeds if you want run with 40 m/h :)) I bet foamy will beat you on his 50cc at squire hahaha

read the description

most people say this will not increase your fuel consumption but on my bike was increased with something like 10%. you will not see any better thing on low speed but is allowing you to run your bike in up gears at lower speed... like 40 m/h in gear 5... normally under 50 m/h you need to change to 4. be aware about the speed, I mean your speedometer will look what values I just write up because is built to show less speed with 10%. so, if your speedo is showing 40, you probably will have just 36-37 and at 50/h probably you will have just 45-46. you can check the right speed with a gps. this is a general thing on bike speedometers, my mechanic, one bike instructor and one bike police officer confirm me this. my o2 mod die after 3 months and I don`t replace this because of fuel consumption. if you ask me, was a waste of money. 17 pounds the mod and 10% more on fuel :). yes, you need id if you install a power commander.

XVS950 is injection not carb. +1 on O2 mod to smooth out the surging you're experiencing.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online