The next project, cafe racer or streetfighter

Noise
This post is 3094 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Little bit of work done to her last night, most of the head bolts came out ok but one of them was so seized that it actually wound out the long bolt that the barrles and head slide onot (dont know its real name) and the clynder head took some persation to come off.

Once i got the cam cover off i instantly smelt burnt oil so its obviously has a problem some where so im hoping that its not going to be the big end etc.

Cam cover off, looks ok to be fair

DSC_0788_zpsfnczae2f.jpg

Cams out,

DSC_0789_zpsk7neyozj.jpg

DSC_0790_zps6dtq8cpg.jpg

Cylinder head off, pistons look bit...........used

DSC_0791_zpsdbcqcxc5.jpg

DSC_0793_zpspknwb0cj.jpg

DSC_0794_zpsf8pwzk1c.jpg

The barrels feel nice and smooth tho so so far lokos as tho the piston rings didn't snap and scratch them

DSC_0792_zpsdecleoa4.jpg

Box of bits to be cleaned and bolts to be replaced

DSC_0797_zpsf3ymkktu.jpg

Going to try and get the barrels off tonight and have a look at the pistons, rings and big ends to see whats got to be replaced etc

I always like to clean the engine before I strip it, bolts etc get stick on the grease and get lost.

did you put some oil down the bores or was that already there on the stripdown?

you don't want smoothbores but a nice 45' cross hatch hone for oil retention :)

I have to Drill out one of these buggers as its so rotten the Hex key cant grip the sides and just rounds the endges.

Small tip, generally works though

Rounded socket cap screws can be removed by using a Torx key. select the next size up over the last one to just fit into the hex, tap it all the way in to the bottom of the hex, socket and ratchet on the Torx drive end. Cuts its own path into the socket head

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all, not been on this project for a little while due to work and general life getting in the way but i'll try and remember all the little thins that have happened.

As we knew this bike only cost a whopping £50 but was blowing oil out of the crank breather and was also purple, two big things that need to be fixed in order for her to be sold on. First out came the engine for investigation work and off came the heads and barrels, on first looks the heads looked fine no nasty marks or metal shards in there so that was put to one side and i'll soon be taking the valves out for better inspection and re-lapping in.

Next was to check the barrels, now again on eyeball inspection they looked spotty dog with no scratches or deep cuts from a snapped ring, but there wasn't even any houning marks which raised a worry. So out came the bore mic and low and behold three out of the four barrels where +0.40 over toll, so the the piston rings where not sealing properly.

Now i know i could have gotten a set of over sized rings to take up that small +0.40 but for £45 i found a breaker selling a set of barrels, pistons and rings all from a fully running bike so i thought that will be the best cost effective route to take. I received these barrels yesterday and just got them inspected by my mate in the inspection dept and they are right on the button so these will hopefully solve the oil out the crank problem.

Once i get the new gaskets i can put the new pistons and barrels on then get going on the valves and the top end, with a bit of luck i hope to get this fired up by the end of September but we'll see how it goes.

Yer i did see that tommy and got to agree wirh dt thats one ugly looking bit of kit. Still not sure on how this is going to turn out but once i get the engine sorted i can start looking at the vanity side of things.

yes let that be a warning to you, the who did that said " started tyhis project 3 years ago with the idea of building a cafe racer bobber or flat tracker and this was the result"

make sure you know what your doing before you do it! :razz:

• Like 2

Yer very true but un like that bloke i do have "some" vision haha.

So far all i have managed to get done is cleaned up the new barrels, cleaned the crank cases and im just cleaning up the pistons. then next payday im going to buy the gasket set and paint to finish the engine off and put it back together so i can start on the frame etc.

Seams like this one is going slower than the bobber. :shrug:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well its been a while on this one but i assure you that things have progressed on this little project, i can't upload pics at the moment as the wonderful folks in our IT department have blocked all media sharing sites :shakeno:

So so far this is what i have done:

• Engine is now a loverly matt black (good old BBQ Paint)
  • Generator Cover, Clutch cover, cam cover and the TDC cover are now a nice gloss gold
  • The frame is a sexy satin black
  • Fuel tank has been sanded down and has had 3 coats of grey primer

Things to buy:

• Gasket set
  • Renthal bars
  • Grips
  • Bar Weights
  • Speedo
  • Levers
  • Indicators
  • Seat
  • Head Lights
  • Streetfighter screen
  • Seat plastics (the side covers)
  • Exhaust
  • Foot pegs
  • Fork Seals

And finally the next big job to do by the end of October is to get this engine back together and fired up.

Once i have some free time at home i will jump on the PC and upload some piccies

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0864_zpscv3i5yng.jpg

DSC_0860_zpsurwlq3nq.jpg

DSC_0861_zpsodbv7a1p.jpg

DSC_0862_zps2lt4ldbi.jpg

Well here she is as she stands now, nice satin black frame and matt black and gold engine. I was going to buy the full gasket set today but as the wife decided to kirb the car tyre and prolapse the side wall i guess i had to fork out £100 on a new one of them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wooooo!! Finally been able to order the full engine gasket set today so should have them here on Monday, so if all goes well and i can get some new domed head nuts then i "should" have the engine all bolted back together by Thursday and then fired up! Thats if i have enough money in the kitty for oil and a filter.

How about this for a nights work, only thing i gotta do tonight is fit the clutch cover then with a bit of luck i can get it back in the frame tomorrow night

DSC_0883_zps9ocoqndl.jpg

DSC_0884_zpsct5fmkge.jpg

DSC_0885_zpstn1arloj.jpg

Well there we have it, all that hard work boils down to this result. Took a little effort to get her in and bolted up but its always easier when you bribe some mates with free tea and biscuits haha.

DSC_0891_zps04tozcly.jpg

DSC_0893_zps3ooukppa.jpg

DSC_0894_zpsuakrgcxv.jpg

DSC_0895_zps7whstxna.jpg

DSC_0896_zpsxuauegsc.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys and Gals,

Well a quick little update, Sunday just gone i was meant to have the second part of my tattoo done but sadly (or fortunatley) my tattoist had the squits so had to cancel which meant i had some extra cash in the pocket which soon went on the bike.

A trip out to the shop and i bring back oil filter, oil and spark plugs which only ment one thing.....................i was going to try and start her up for the first time in a year and a half.

So whilst i was fillining her up and turning in the spark plugs i was doing the pre run checks and gently stroking her while giving words of encoragement (you better start ya fecker)

Key went in,

Dog shut out the shed,

Wife walks out with my brew

Starter button was pressed............................

NOTHING!!!!!!

Standing there in confusion

Wife has cocky smerk on her face

Got stung by the kill switch goblin :ct:

Kill switch on Run

Press button

AND BOOM!!!!!!!

She fire into life with plumes of white smoke (oil i put in barrels) :eusa_dance:

So now i know she works its now just a case of buying all the rest of the bits and bobs i need to get her on the road.

• Like 1

Good effort Noise......Yeovil.....I'm guessing something to do with the Air Station there?