XJ600s front Master cylinder seized,,, ideas?

Nick-skrike
This post is 3610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys and Girls,

After doing some hard work getting my bike going again, l found out that my front brake master cylinder for my 1997 xj600s is seized. What l first thought was the caliper (Got two pistons on this cailper by the way), after unbolting the caliper off the bike removing the pads and using G-clamps to get them moving by pushing the pistons in and was going to pump them out again using the brake lever and found out l didn't need to because as the piston on one was going in the other one was coming out lol, So using two G-clamps l put it all back together however as l was going to test them using the brake lever l found out it was not moving? I put the caliper back on the bike and looked at the master cylinder brake lever, I undid the banjo nut for the brake line and tryed to pump the lever. nothing came out..... l took the master cylinder off the bike and was striping it down to have a look, (using a haynes book) l got as far as getting the pushrod out but can't get the piston assembly or spring out??? Any ideas thats not with a air line (have tryed but can't get the perssure up on compressor so will try again with a different one and make a contector to fit the banjo hole), tryed soaking it in WD40 overnight with no luck and l don't want to drill and having reweld the other end. As far as l can tell the piston assembly itself is seized, looking though the banjo hole at the spring end, it looks free just stuck behide the piston. Tryed pushing it in to get it moving but can't? Also been looking on Ebay for a master cylinder repair kit for this, l found older models but not this year 1997 will they fit? or does anyone know of a different bike kit will. It will be helpful as my search engine not coming up with much just mainly Ebay lol. Did buy a 2nd hand master cylinder off Ebay however it a 92 unit, it looked like it should fit my bike (will find out when l get it, lol) but guessing/hoping the piston assembly ok in that one, be handy if l can still use this one as it a shame to just bin it. Thanks for any ideas or just reading this lol, Thinking of hot oil may do the trick? has anyone done this? Mmmmmm (Thinking) strong bar with hot oil and a long G-clamp???? (would need a good clean after) I'll let you know which one l use or if l get it unstuck. Nick.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You won't remove anything gunked up with WD40, use plusgas.

Re check to make sure the piston in the cylinder is not being stopped from comming out, didden circlips are common.

Remove the banjo, seal the banjo thread hole with a bolt, making sure it is sealed and use the right thread. With fluid in the reservoir, slowly pump the lever, The fluid can't push down the hole for the banjo so should pressure push out the piston - assuming you have removed all the fittings.

If you cant find a bolt for the banjo, reconnect the brake hose and put a wooden block between the pistons on the caliper so the pistons in the caliper don't pop out.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online