FJ1200 chain seems to bind on front sprocket - calling Tasky

DutchFJ1200
This post is 3610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gents,

It looks like the chain is 'binding' on the front sprocket - going through the gears a grinding/rasping/knocking feel through the end transmission and it feels like the gearbox is grinding itself to bits - but the engine/gearbox are as sweet as.

I don't know any better than that the rear & front sprocket + chain have the same level of wear and when the sprockets teeth become sharp or bent that it is changing time.

Also a pointer towards how tight a chain on a machine like this should be would be appreciated (as in how many cm deflection when you push the chain up on side stand) - or if i post a pic could you judge if mine are up for replacement.

As ever your imput much appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Update : spinning on centre stand it feels like the teeth on the front are not engaging or more importantly not disengaging properly.

I think the concencus here will be to bin it and buy new.

Any pointers as what to go for ? - or go for wemoto's standard offering.

And should I regear or standard?

FJ1200Rear_zps3f276399.jpg

Hi dutch, are you happy with the accellaration ? and the revs in top gear,,, as 1 tooth up on the front would mean lower revs at cruise speed,,, and fuel consumption down too, :eusa_think:

Picture says it all, the teeth on there have worn meaning the chain doesent sit quite right.

It must be a well maintained chain to wear nice and even, still fubar though. Your chain will jump in the end.

I've seen worse than that Dutch, I would check the sprocket carrier bearing these can fail and feel like there's grinding sensation.

Chain movement should be 15-20mm, although that is pretty tight so 20-25mm is recommended by most users.

Front - 17t sprocket

Rear - 3CV requires a 40t

You could go up to 18t front and 38t rear (drop 2 links from the chain), but while this will drop your 80mph revs from 5130 to 4600, it will also rob you of outright acceleration... more so if you're carrying luggage/pillion/both.

As always, the FJ Owners Club has these things in stock. OEM sprocket set of front and rear (17/40t) will cost you £32.98 plus p&p.

They also have other sizes and types of sprocket.

Thanks gents,

Being over the shock & uncertainty that I thought something was seriously wrong with my machine now put brain in gear before opening mouth.

Lubricated chain plentiful and tightened it a bit for it was too loose. The issue is largely gone now but I think wear is the general culprit and chain is on the way out.

Afterall the bike is second hand (or third or fourth) so better to change and make sure that my rear wheel is in line and chain well taken care of.

95% is commuting and however it went thru fuel like buggery last weekend on the M-way that is just a one off event.

Blackhat: I counted the teeth on the rear and I have 40 so assume it is standard set up. The acceleration is frightening so maybe going down a notch would not matter that much. Most of the time I have to endure lots of traffic with lots of start/stop and if I'm moving it's hardly over 50Mph, mostly less.

Would the standard set up suit that use better?

Yeh,,,higher gearing for long motorway trip... best standaed settup :yeah:

>however it went thru fuel like buggery last weekend on the M-way that is just a one off event.

I get about 50mpg on m/ways.

However, it's only the upper 20s in town, between 20-40mph limits... :(

>The acceleration is frightening so maybe going down a notch would not matter that much.

Ye great pansy!! :lol:

It will only go as fast as you make it. Admitedly I do gun it a little myself, but I barely use the full capability of this gorgeous machine. I *can* do 0-60 in under 3 seconds... but I rarely do. Mostly I just wind the revs up slowly and amble along.

• Like 1

>The acceleration is frightening so maybe going down a notch would not matter that much.

It will only go as fast as you make it. Admitedly I do gun it a little myself, but I barely use the full capability of this gorgeous machine. I *can* do 0-60 in under 3 seconds... but I rarely do. Mostly I just wind the revs up slowly and amble along.

Found a regearing guide online ....... at 18 front and 39 rear ...... it always had difficulty pulling to the 9500 rpm red-line

Red-lining an FJ 1200 ......... :crazy: Fooooooooook that

I'd have passed 75mph before I hit the red line!!

What's wrong with the red line, its like the sell by date on food. You can get a bit more if you want to it wont hurt.

The limiter will stop damage. Also works as a pretty good quickshift..... at your own risk on that one..

:crylaugh::crylaugh:

:crylaugh::crylaugh:

Ah you think that's funny dontcha

Ok hands up ...... he's right :eusa_whistle:

Gents,

It looks like the chain is 'binding' on the front sprocket - going through the gears a grinding/rasping/knocking feel through the end transmission and it feels like the gearbox is grinding itself to bits - but the engine/gearbox are as sweet as.

I don't know any better than that the rear & front sprocket + chain have the same level of wear and when the sprockets teeth become sharp or bent that it is changing time.

Also a pointer towards how tight a chain on a machine like this should be would be appreciated (as in how many cm deflection when you push the chain up on side stand) - or if i post a pic could you judge if mine are up for replacement.

As ever your imput much appreciated.

i would put money on it a couple or more links have seized up causing the chain not to roll around the sprocket very easily, take the chain off and bend each link by hand, If you come across any tight ones, there's your problem, you will need a new chain if this is the case.

New cogs & chain winging its way to me as we speak.

Spannering next weekend :hyper:

:spin2: Hi , i stick to the standard gearing and use the GENUINE front sprocket as it has a rubber guide , pattern ones are rubbish .

Fit a Scottoiler and the DID 50 zvm ? standard chain .

My FJ has now done 80,000 + miles from new and only had one new chain ... Pete *

Done !!!

New sprockets & chain + new front pads and general clean up & polish.

Right hand pistons went back in and was a doddle. the lefthand one locked up on me. The piston kept coming and coming.

Had to take the biatch off completely. Ah well front has new brake fluid :-)