1982 RD350LC - Stood 20 years

mcferreira100
This post is 3188 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Very happy..got brakes sorted. First bled both side calipers some more. Got little more air out but essentially didn`t make a difference. So removed caliper where disc was getting hot. Removed pads and pressed in piston with a g-glamp. Worked brake lever and used clamp to push back few times. Noticed piston was pulling back slightly when releasing brake lever so master cylinder return hole must be ok. Treated pin that calipers move on with more anti-seize compound as well as a little oil. Mounted caliper again and brakes were ok. Sorry for dark pic but bike is in the garage now.

Now must just make some more throttle cable adjustments.

Frikin rain won`t stop and I need to take this bad boy for a good spin.

2014-08-06120825_zps38fcaaf7.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yea bit of a blonde moment there..no biggie.

Another fun day with the RD. Gear lever came loose so couldn't select any. Next to the road worked it until I got second then limped home (I already ran out of fuel once and had to push it uphill against a sticking front brake..got good workout there) Splines on shaft not so good anymore and fastening bolt was also stripped (noticed it didn`t tighten very well during assembly. So stuck a washer behind the gear lever to get it sitting on good part of shaft and new bolt in there..good and tight..should be ok now but will keep some tools on the bike.

Then its ok on flats and downhill but once putting load going uphill she soon dies. Wait few seconds then she starts..so she not getting enough fuel. Noticed awhile ago she wouldn't start until I opened fuel cap. So must be breather on cap..removed cap..stuck a rag in there and went for test ride up same hill..mo problem. So stripped the cap to find lot of gunk in there. Cleaned out and reassembled..tested and seems ok now. Will take it for further run tomorrow.

2014-08-07132856_zps7597f8e4.jpg

Yeah people do neglect the fuel cap for some reason, it only gets used when they fill up and then forgotten. Old bikes should have the thing stripped and checked "just in case", yours is a prime example of what to expect after 20 years of never looking. :jossun:

• Like 1

Another fun day with the RD. Gear lever came loose so couldn't select any. Next to the road worked it until I got second then limped home (I already ran out of fuel once and had to push it uphill against a sticking front brake..got good workout there) Splines on shaft not so good anymore and fastening bolt was also stripped (noticed it didn`t tighten very well during assembly. So stuck a washer behind the gear lever to get it sitting on good part of shaft and new bolt in there..good and tight..should be ok now but will keep some tools on the bike.

Shouldn't that have been replaced during the engine rebuild

Cant replace everything as I don`t have a money tree in my back yard. Seems ok now with new locking bolt in there.

So done 300km so far. Was worried its not smoking enough so discovered the spring behind autolube pump wasn't in properly. This was fouling the pump preventing it from actuating all the way (good thing I decided to add some oil to the tank at least while running in. Put spring back properly and happy to see she`s chewing oil now..in fact light went on today so need to top up.

Been advised to set throttle needles up one notch as she seems to be wanting more air (adjusted aircrews 2.5 turns out and it ran better). Flat spots between 3500-4500rpm and after 6500rpm.

Have decided to paint tank and plastics later..first want to run this bad boy in to see what she can do.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Finally got it painted. Changed the colour scheme a little. Will get everything back on tomorrow...not gonna sleep tonite. The sidecover decals not quite as original and was supposed to have a stripe on front mudguard (but I think the original did not have one so will live with it)

SAM_0369_zpsv8yxjuwy.jpg

Your gunna need dark glasses when the sun shines Mc, those panels are shiny, they did a nice job.

Couldn`t wait..pics of parts on the bike. Tank just loose on there for now.

SAM_0371_zpseykhvn5t.jpg

SAM_0373_zps7b3nomep.jpg

SAM_0372_zpsctzpnyta.jpg

• Like 1

Well its finally done. It had me a bit frantic as it refused to start after always starting easily since the rebuild. People talking of possible stator problem but it had spark. So some fuel in both cylinder plug holes did the trick and she fired up, must have been airlock in the fuel system. Took it for a spin and all seems well. Those pipes have a good sound and its pulling front wheel up now (actually has 2 powerbands now..2nd one very short but takes off like a rocket). Will post couple of pics in the sun once I get it out for a good run.

SAM_0374_zpsfmdxonh6.jpg

• Like 3

That is beautiful Mc, if your not chuffed you should be. I bet you have to reach down deep in your pockets now to find any money :biglaugha: but worth all the effort :jossun:

WTF happened to the website???everything`s changed and my password didn't work....had to reset.

Anyway a video of how she sounds with these pipes. Hate to rub it in..but this is our middle of winter..nicer than summer as its cool.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rode with another RD last weekend. Mine is in the foreground..you will notice my paint doesn't have that darker shinier sheen like his, so going to get couple more coats of clear lacquer on (this will also give better finish on the decals as well as protect them). Also doing the stripe on front mudguard and changing the sidecover decals to standard like his bike.

Sounds great and it can apparently pop it's wheel in the air :biglaugha: