xj600 pre diversion rev counter AND right hand indicator failing

Camus
This post is 3615 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

subsequent to the battery running dry and over heating all bulbs on the bike blew apart from headlight and the rev counter stopped. Have replaced battery and all bulbs and now only the right hand front flasher fails and the rev counter and the right hand flash light on the console. Condition of indicator is good. Checked the litle bulb in the instrument console and looks ok. Right hand rear flashes fine but fast, left side perfect. Any ideas as due MOT. Also i understand rev counter not needed for mot but if i take off all the indicators i have to disconnect headlight and tail lamps, is this true?. Anyway i would rather fix it but running out of time,.. any sugestionss very welcome thank you - Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

did you replace the reg/rec as thats the reason the battery failed in the first place!

checks earths for indicators and of course the correct wattage bulbs

to check a bulb,run it through the continuity using a multimeter

sounds like youve blown lamps/relays etc. If regulatar fails, voltage to these items is no longer regulated at the max approx 14 volts, can go up to 40 volts

start bike, multimeter across the pos and neg terminals on the battery, throttle at 5000rpm, multimeter shouldnt really go higher than 14 to 15 volts. If it does, change regulator

thanks for the advice people, bought a volt meter and trace a faulty wire/connection to the indicator so that is fixed now. Still can't get the rev counter to work so will investigate this further. will measure the input to the battery to see if too much charge going into it and should replace the reg/rec

multimeter shows 18.5v across the terminals of battery at 5000 revs, so this must mean a new reg required.., the red wire connected to the rectifier also shows 18.5v. Still can't get the revcounter to work, the light on the console which shows that the indictator is flashing also fails although all else working, maybe a bulb , but does anyone know what the rev counter is connected to that may have stopped it from working? eg a relay or coil ( am not that technical)

it's difficult to see from the bunch of cables which one is connected to the rev counter but will take the console apart soon and try and get further with the multimeter

grey wire from ignitor sends the pulses to the rev counter as well as the coil.

check connections and that earth and power are reaching it too

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online