Dragstar 650 exhaust

EazyDuz
This post is 3607 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'll be purxhasing a 650 soon and one of the first things I want to do is buy a new exhaust for it.

The best sounding one I have found is this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c1QkoNDhX0Q

Its foreign but they are called 'Caligula'. EBay didn't find them, anyone know if they can still be bought?

I like that lower down throaty kind of sound they produce, whereas others like the v&h cruzers don't quite sound as good as that. Any recommendations?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Put the socket set down and step away from the motorcycle... NOW!!!

Caligula pipes are fantastic... IF you can find an early set. Otherwise, give me your money and I'll go spend it on something far more worthwhile.

At best, you will need to clean them off after every ride and had better have invested in Autosol shares.

They are fucking awful quality nowadays and really not worth the paper postage label. Believe me - I know!!

DO NOT BUY

i got them last july and they are knacked

piss poor chrome quality and the feckin seller Gemini-exhausts are no longer in business so i cant get my cash back or get a replacement

i'm atm waiting to hear back from pay-pal to see if theres anything they can do

other names they go by are

marmitta

auspuf

I think Cruzers, Shortshots or Fatpipes are my safest bet then.

Its disgusting how cheap they are in the states compared to here, no point importing though as i'd just get raped with tax and import fees

Try these guys:

http://www.customcruisers.com/Custom2005/customshop2005/contents/en-uk/d13.html

I've had the V&H cruzers nigh on 2 1/2 years now (Done about 10-11k miles on them) and there are no issues with the finish or the integrity of these pipes. And they sound fab, they're specifically designed to make smaller displacement motors like the 650 sound bigger!

Try these guys:

http://www.customcruisers.com/Custom2005/customshop2005/contents/en-uk/d13.html

I've had the V&H cruzers nigh on 2 1/2 years now (Done about 10-11k miles on them) and there are no issues with the finish or the integrity of these pipes. And they sound fab, they're specifically designed to make smaller displacement motors like the 650 sound bigger!

Got a video mate? Did you rejet? And do you have the ais removed?

Yes I rejetted, had it done in a proper place with a dyno. Cost me about £90, two dyno runs and labour. No, AIS still in place, and likely to remain so.

Haven't made a video myself, but have a look here:

Regarding rejetting, you can just use the jet size v&h recommend, if you fancy opening the carbs yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad i read this, i found them on ebay, and messaged them, got straight back to me saying they had pipes in stock for Dragstar 650,but after reading this think I'll spend the extra £50 n get a set of jardine drag pipes rumblers or highway hawk fat pipes, pity liked the look of the caligula long wave pipes

Glad i read this, i found them on ebay, and messaged them, got straight back to me saying they had pipes in stock for Dragstar 650,but after reading this think I'll spend the extra £50 n get a set of jardine drag pipes rumblers or highway hawk fat pipes, pity liked the look of the caligula long wave pipes

That's fine, as long as you don't mind your pipes bluing, which they will do pretty much from the off. Jardines and HH are both single-walled pipes.

"Frost" do a cleaning compound that gets rid of Bluing.

Never used it nor have i heard how well it works just remebererereerd seeing it in the new catalouge i had through the door yesterday, and wanted to show i can read and feel special and wanted.

• Like 1

That's fine, as long as you don't mind your pipes bluing, which they will do pretty much from the off. Jardines and HH are both single-walled pipes.

think most in my price range re single walled, im also having to take into account that re jetting will cost at least a 100 on top of the exhaust

im also having to take into account that re jetting will cost at least a 100 on top of the exhaust

Wrong!!

£6 and about an hour of your time. Trial and error type of thing but can be done in about three attempts

Wrong!!

£6 and about an hour of your time. Trial and error type of thing but can be done in about three attempts

looking at jet kits on line n there coming in about £90, am i going about this the wrong way,?

Whichever pipes you go for, they should have a recommendation as to what size main jets to install, depending on whether you're putting in a fancy filter/airbox or not. The jets themselves are about £3 each, so Noise has it about right. £90 for a jet kit??? Wtf?

If you don't fancy installing them yourself, a seasoned bike mechanic can whack them on in about 20-25mins. So £25 labour.

To give you an example I got mine done at a dyno place, and yeah it cost me £90, but that included 2 dyno runs, and 2 jet changes, till the guy got the mixture right. (The reason I went that route is cause I had some extra quiet baffles - since removed - bolted on to the back which changed the back-pressure of the pipes, so couldn't go off of what Vance & Hines were recommending).

Now regarding the cost of the pipes themselves, as long as you like the blued look, yeah, don't spend an extra £100.

If on the other hand, you're partial to a bit of chromey bling, and depending on how tidy your bike looks anyway, and you're thinking about compromising, will an extra £100 really break you? You could always wait till you've saved some more...

• Like 1

Na mate, wemoto sell the jets for £3 each. Im doing a write up soon on how i did my rejet as this is a common question.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online