new bike identify. 1968 yamaha R-1?!

elliott911
This post is 3658 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey friends, i recently obtained a new bike.

the seller said it was "1968 yamaha R1."

i started doing some digging, and its looking like the YR1-

sounds like its referred to the granddad to the RD.

i was wondering if you guys had any knowledge of the engine/ignition cross over- if any with the RD.

here is a picture- ima start rebuilding tomorrow hopefully.

e536.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Phew" thats a rare model elliot. :jossun: member merv or preload will have info,,,,

Wow you like your classics a k15 and now this.What do you intend to do with it?

It's a classic example of cafe' racer from the day,save for that little ali farring? bit above the head lamp thats from the 80's off a honda.

What information are you looking for? Ie will points fit from later models,,ask away someone will know and please keep the pictuers comming I love the bike as it is now,they call new bikes naked but that is truley naked.

since its already been modded, i don't feel so bad tearing down an old bike.

the guy that i got the bike from did a bunch of metal work which I'm not terribly crazy about.

going to ditch the current seat, though it looks alright- seller gave me the original seat, it is very aged, i will do some leather tooling, and redo the foam.

planning to powder coat the whole bike to basically weather safe it from further rusting.

just new tires, and hopefully an LED light system.

most likely going to go without the honda fairing thing. if you have any desire to have it, we can work that out.

would like to ditch the points and get a CDI system for efficiency.

with that being said, any knowledge of RD350 case/ crank differences from this application?

Silly question, I'm having a hard time getting the chain guard/engine cover off the gear lever- any tips for this?

Led's are a bad choice IMO just dosent suite the bike.And with the fact you have more wireing and relays why bother.

The honda farring thing you can send for scrap mettal and Bush or Coors can make a beer can out of it would be better use IMO LOL

The chain guard is just stuk from old chain lube just soak it with pentrating lube,and it may be stuck on dowle pins so tap it with a piece of wood and pry on it lightly it will come free.

It looks so cool as is I would re work the seat it has,, to look better/or more comfortable than put the stock seat back on,besides you might be able to pay for the bike selling it,, a stock seat for a 68 has to be worth a small fortune to someone wanting to restore thier bike to orignal.

As for cdi ignition I would look at a boyer system for a early rd 350 might need some fabrication but it could be made to work.

Hey DT, thank you for that quick response. i really appreciate all points mentioned.

your suggestions for the seat will be considered and will be posting with updates!!

Glad to be here on the yamaha forums!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online