FJ1200. Still a usable tourer?

trumpetdude
This post is 3648 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thinking of ditching the car for most of the summer. I'm really only on motorways and the divvy N is a bit small. Noticed a couple of old FJ's cropping up. Anybody still doing proper mileage on them?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just bought one, still in bits but loads of them still running well, Ttaskmaster has one to and he seems really pleased with his, we both belong to the FJ /FJR owners club which is the place to get spares and advice and at only £17 a year for all the info you could want is really cheap, not heard anyone have anything bad to say about them they are long legged thumpers that will go all day and still give you a thrill on the twisty bits, if you have a hankering for a big bike with loads of torque and a gentle ride then you could do a lot worse. Tasky will be along shortly to tell you all about how great they are. If you have the chance to get one then "BUY IT NOW" you won't regret it. :jossun:

MOTORWAYS
ARE
MY
PLAYGROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, get on one, go down a motorway and just experience the roll-on in 3rd, 4th or 5th... nothing like it on this planet!!
Filtering is nice and easy once you get the feel for the bike.

Touring Europe is considered a run-of-the-mill outing for an FJ Owner!
Even for a tatty model between £500-900, you're getting one hell of a bike for that money.

Remember that this thing started life as the FJ1100 sports bike, though. Yamaha realised it was a bit heavy for such duty (although Doc Hacker still races two 1100s in the pre-injection class and does very well, it must be said), so redesigned it as the 1200 Sports Tourer.

Thus it will behave as a Sports Tourer.
This means 0-60 in 2.8 seconds.
1st gear won't run out of steam until after 75.
Top speed 160... and it will actually do that.

Note that the bike will be unexpectedly heavy for most riders and you'll have to be a bit forceful if you want to go fast, accelerate hard or wrench it around in the twisties... but that only suits the mood you'll be in when you want that kind of misbehaving and when you need a more relaxed ride, the bike just effortlessly calms down along with you!

Beyond that, the weight is solidly planted and control at all speeds is great. Riding position is slightly forward and long-limbed folk may prefer 1" risers, but there's plenty of room to move around, stretch out and be happy.

Tank top is flat, which is great for front luggage. Full sets of Givi and Renthal rear luggage are plentiful and various other types are easily accomodated too. Tie downs are good (I had a pair of speakers on the back on Wednesday) and you can get a fully loaded 165L issue Bergan behind you with no worries.

Pillion ride is amazingly comfortable and only improved with a back-rest top box. The bike still pulls effortlessly 2-up and handling is not hard work for the rider (even if your pillion is a bit of a big'un).

Range is good - You have a 22L tank and can expect around the 50mpg mark. While the new higher ethanol fuel is not recommended as it will fuck up your rubbery engine bits (like carb diaphragms), using the slightly more expensive fancy fuels not only saves your rubbers but returns far more additional miles than it costs!

Parts are pretty cheap and very plentiful.
Working on it is a dream - Seat off, tank off, un-pop the side fairing and you have access to rear lights, battery, fuses, fuel pump, airbox, carbs, cylinder heads, plugs, coils and all manner of stuff.
Every time I have to do something to my bike or watch someone else's hassle attempting the same on another model, I end up loving mine just that little bit more!!

You have 3 basic variants - 1TX, 3CV and 3XW. Not that much between them overall, but subtle differences that may eventually matter a whole lot more.
You're supposed to run crossply tyres on them, but there are a couple of radials that will fit properly and you can swap the wheels for EXUP/Genesis ones to accomodate any approriately sized radial.

More here: http://fjclub.co.uk/#/buying-a-fj/4546920434

TBH, no-one who actually knows what they're talking about will ever slate the FJ series.
In all the comparison reviews, even today, there is nothing the FJ gets a #1 on for handling, performance, economy etc... but rather it usually comes in at #2 across the board, making it the best all-rounder.

I could go on forever, but that's probably a good start.
Get on one, take it out and see what you think - You will not be disappointed!!

• Like 2

Having just read the above i am now ccovinced that i want a fj1200 to replace my xj600 pre diversion i having been looking at both the fj 1200 and the xj 900 but i want a fj1200

Oh, I see... you speak of the FJ1200 and want a concise answer, eh??

OK then.....

JOYGASM!!!!!

Told you he would be along didn't I, I think you get the drift, it's a beautiful bike to ride and working on it even compared to my XJ750 is so much easier, seat and tank off and there's not much you can't get a spanner on, if you can get a ride out on one then make sure you tell the owner you will be back in a while cos you won't want to get off.

I've got a 1987 FJ1200 1TX owned the bike for several years now. I've bought, sold, ridden, several different bikes in that time they have all been sold now but the FJ remains still doing what it does best getting from A to b and putting plenty of smiles on my face along the way. oh and when I'm in the mood embarrassing a few sports bikes and their riders along the way.

Cool, just about sold that idea! Now, what if I was to go ride one and then by chance found a newer FJR in my price range (unlikely I know but...) ho would they compare? . My divvy 6 is really easy to work on too, in fact, sounds like they came out of the same mould.

I just bought one, still in bits but loads of them still running well, Ttaskmaster has one .............

I have one too :-(

Wanted one for the last 15 years until the right one came along in October last year.

Daily driver, look forward to get going in the morning and knock off time can't come fast enough.

As voiced by my co-owners above, go for it !!! You will not regret it.

Sorry Dutch my bad just put it down to old age mate. :crazy:

Cool, just about sold that idea! Now, what if I was to go ride one and then by chance found a newer FJR in my price range (unlikely I know but...) ho would they compare? . My divvy 6 is really easy to work on too, in fact, sounds like they came out of the same mould.

The FJR is very swanky modern and new, so will behave just like that. It's also fast, spacious, well-behaved, feature-laden and a proper Sports Tourer.

By all accounts, it's much harder to work on, needs more effort and jiggery-pokery, the rear suspension linkages require a great deal of correct attention (Yamaha themselves don't do this properly) and is a bugger to do alone, a lot of the gubbins are electric... not something I'm that sold on, personally, but a lot of people like them.

However, the FJR owners (on the same forum, naturally) are just as enthusiastic and Ernie at the FJR Centre (obviously connected with Doc, god of everything FJ) is the best in the business.

Beyond that, you'd have to try each one out for yourself, see which you were interested in. Maybe hop on http://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/index.php?action=forum and chat with the riders there.

All I can tell you is that the FJ1200 will NOT disappoint!!

I dont have any experience with the FJ, but I've owned both an xs1100 and an xjr1200 and both of them left me regretting selling them. They also outperformed my abilities (even the xs with it's rubber frame)

The FJR is very swanky modern and new, so will behave just like that. It's also fast, spacious, well-behaved, feature-laden and a proper Sports Tourer.

a lot of the gubbins are electric... not something I'm that sold on, personally, but a lot of people like them.

Coming from and having only had Yamaha's 'ancient' offerings the FJ still feels like a proper drivers bike. Just more of it and grunt that makes your eyes water.

Not an over electrickerized machine (which I've got with the Jeep Grand and that's given me plenty of head aches already, thank you very much)

Great comments chaps, cheers! I'm currently breaking it down to the FJ /FJR, V-strom 1000, Vfr and CBF1000... Looking at lots of motorways...

Out of that choice, definitely go for the FJ 1200 - comfort, relaxed riding (even at high speed), easy to work on, massively upgradeable (if you want to), carries luggage and a passenger far better than the other bikes you've listed.

Cheap parts (through the FJOC and Phil "Doc" Hacker), unbelievably reliable (even better than Honda's) and just sooooooo torquey - you can easily pull away from a standstill in 5th gear if you choose to.

My wife went looking for a VFR but found the riding position too leaned forward, putting too much weight on her wrists - hence she ended up choosing a Fazer 1000 after a test ride.

I'll be taking my FJ 1200 for yet another 2 week Euro Tour this summer, with no qualms/quibbles/worries - and it's 25 years old with lots of miles - but less than Phil Hacker's 190k mile specimen.

I have owned a FJ12 3CV in my option the best model like Dutch's. The earlier model's have vented disc's which crack and the rear suspension is lower so the cornering will deck quickly they all do this but the models before the 3CV will do it earlier.

Keep an eye on the anti-dive is doesn't work but can upset the fork action. Second gear takes a bashing so when test riding (when motor warm) give it the beans in second and see if it drops out but beware these old beast really motor on so hold on. No1 valve tends to tick but with careful maintenance it can be sorted.

The 3CV and later have better brakes but need a lot of care or they will need rebuilding, Blue spots are good upgrade.

The FJ is the bargain bike on the market its overlooked which odd as it must be the best large aircooled tourer out there. There is also the 36Y 1100 version which I would buy but I'm a purist.

Handling wise they are planted but due to this the bike can be heavy at low speeds.

Lastly the 36Y & 1TX have 16" front wheels and not designed for radials so tyres selection is limited.

My ideal FJ would be 3XW frame with 3CV swingarm & forks with 36Y motor and bodywork and no ABS.

If you tend to have your bikes serviced by a shop it doesn't matter which you buy however, If you maintain your own the FJ is the one too buy as its easy but if you are quite good with a spanner and are ready for a challenge the FJR1300 is worth the extra money, early Mk1's are a bargain and less likely to be modded like the FJ.

PS. Dont over look the XJR1300 as this bike is very good tourer.