Failing XJ600n - fueling? vacuum?

trumpetdude
This post is 3633 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, not quite looking for answers yet but wanting to ask if I might be missing something off my list.

Just heading out today and the bike began stuttering, (I did hear a tick tick tick sound just as I was moving off, though it may been a stone stuck in the wheel.) About 500 yards down the road the divvy stutters as though short on fuel, switched to reserve and it felt as though it was taking ages to come through. Long story short it eventually cut out. Checked the tank and there was fuel in it. Started after a couple of attempts, (actually put it back to main tank just uncase ;) ), and headed home. Within about 200yards from the driveway it died, tried on reserve (whislt coasting bump and on the starter) and nothing. Thankfully I live down hill from that junction :)

I've looked in the tank proper this time and there's definitely fuel in there, at least 2 litres, more than enough. Here what I'm thinking.

Blocked vacuum / breather (The bike ran and revved freely on the stand when I got it home, albeit after opening the fuel tank).

Blocked fuel filter / fuel line (Fuel filter was changed less than 1000 miles ago)

Badly adjusted carbs (had a beautiful 60 mile ride at sun down last night, all through the power band with no problems)

Carb diaphragm / vacuum - Hmm

Air filter (Unless I'd hoovered up four leaves I doubt I'd have a total failure).

Spark - Plugs, plug cables, CDI... (why would it fire fine at home - rev to 9k quite happily?)

Anyone got anything else I could be missing? I'm really short on time for the rest of the day, and tomorrow, so I'll do a pokey visual check first.

Cheers folks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just a guess but the petcock vac side sound like your problem,or a pluged gas cap vent.

I hesitate to say this but --- On my Suzuki the other week I was on the way to have it MOTd and there was a tick tick noise from the engine about 500 yards later I had a valve stem through number 3 piston and had to be towed home, now you mentioned that there was a noise and got me thinking that you should make sure your compression is ok before you take it out again, not saying it is that but the noise you describe brings back horrible memories of oil and steam over the road, I found that it was a broken valve spring that had been under compression for some while (about 2 years actually) but if your bike is making odd noises then it can't do any harm to just make sure it's not something serious.

Cheers guys, I had just driven off a gravely car park so I'll cross my fingers on that one! :shakeno: So, just had a quick eyeball at everything plugs, lines etc and I've got fuel in the air filter, well sitting on top to be precise. I know it's fuel as I've just popped a bit of red ex in. I know it's not Mr Muscle but it can help. What is it that causes this problem again? It's a symptom of blow back from the carbs but why? (Happens to me with chick peas).

Have you checked the fuel pump is pumping properly.

A check is to bypass the pump, then try the bike with a full tank of fuel. As when its full the pump does little or nothing for the flow, only really makes a difference when the fuel level is lower.

Aye, fuel pump can be heard priming too at switch on, just went through that system before the winter. Not had a chance to check vacuum and fuel lines properly yet. Cheers though, it will get a check any way. C.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just sounds likely, you mentioned a tick tick noise, backfire can be caused running out of fuel. If its breaking down rather than failing?

Possibly, although I've not heard it since. It did fire up (after a few attempts) about an hour after I got it back and revved and ticked over fine, it has got a noisy tappet at tick over /low speed so it may even have been this. I'll run it tomorrow with the seat off etc, get a look at the inline filter and see if I'm still get fuel in the air box.

Had a thread going on a Divvy forum which kinda ties it up for now. I think fuel starvation was the main cause. Seems to be ok now a full carb overhaul is in the future.. Here's the link to the finished thread.. (Couldn't get on to YOC on my phone hence finishing it on the Divvy club)

divvylinky

When was the last time you check the valve adjustment? valves get tight not loose and if the intake is held open then your wearing out the cam and letting blow back into the carbs.

Cheers DT, I think it was just last summer they were checked, only managed about 3000 miles.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online