Dtr 1991

BenP
This post is 3658 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all I have a serious problem that I need help with,

I have only just turned 17 the other day and was the first time I had properly rode the bike anyway I came back the other day to find the swing arm chain guard everything at the rear of the bike Was soaked in anti freeze from the expansion chamber there's no signs of it leaking however within a matter of minutes of riding it I can look down and everything is soaked again anyone know the cause! Ihave stopped riding it now as I'm running out of anti freeze to keep topping it up

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Could it be anything to go with the head/head gasket? As I took the exhaust of and was a little bit of water in the piston and oil also in the expansion chamber

Could it be anything to go with the head/head gasket? As I took the exhaust of and was a little bit of water in the piston and oil also in the expansion chamber

yeah its probably the head gasket gone Ben, its a good bet really. You may see bubbles in the expansion tank. I think the expansion tank has a vent pipe attached to one of the frame tubes and expelled coolant drips out of said tube. The best head gaskets are rubber coated ones like the original OEM yamaha prt.

Yamaha OEM gaskets or Athena ones are your best bet.

While you have the head off Ben check it carefuly for cracks and warpage,no point in wasting a new gasket only to have the problem repeat it's self.

Cheers for the help guys, it turns out that head was warped so getting it skimmed today then putting a Yamaha gasket on and hopefully that will seal the deal :)

One more thing just to double check I recently had the barrel rebored and a new piston put in 100 miles ago roughly. How many miles should I be taking it easy for i've been told I should aim for a round 500 miles then start to rev it more and more as at the moment I'm changing gear around 5000 rpm

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online