WR400 - Supermoto Conversion + Engine rebuild

rossonza
This post is 3355 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got my seat Re-covered by the mrs' dad. So it turns out the bike had 2 covers on :-)

Looks much better in black. I'm very happy. Just got to put it back on the bike.

Going to take the carb off the weekend and give it a clean. See if I can solve this weird cruising miss.

20150108_201713_zps1tfggpwz.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

nice build sir. i raced a 426 in supermoto trim for a number of years. even after the 450s came out the 426 was faster due to having the 5 speed gearbox when the 450s came with 4 gears. id hunted the planet and found a yamaha kit cdi and matching ti pipe for it. i also ran the higher comp piston and flowed head. wee bike went well and it was giving a real world 57 bhp, more than enough at british championship level.. you asked about master cyl size? no real improvments with the standard caliper but if you fit a 4pot you need a master cyl of a honda cbr 600 . from 1993 to 1997 they have the correct ratio.

also gearing wise on faster tracks it would pull 16 .38.

oh also forgot it had 1mm oversize inlet valves in stainless as ti valves in those can stretch.

cheers

rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob,

i had heard of changing the master cylinder but couldnt find an exact answer so thank you!, i was originally looking at the EBC 320mm disk/bracket upgrade. Any ideas if i can use the whole front brake off the cbr6?

57bhp must have been fun :P i cant imagine its got too much bhp right now, but feels faster than my old ccm @ around 40hp.

nice build sir. i raced a 426 in supermoto trim for a number of years. even after the 450s came out the 426 was faster due to having the 5 speed gearbox when the 450s came with 4 gears. id hunted the planet and found a yamaha kit cdi and matching ti pipe for it. i also ran the higher comp piston and flowed head. wee bike went well and it was giving a real world 57 bhp, more than enough at british championship level.. you asked about master cyl size? no real improvments with the standard caliper but if you fit a 4pot you need a master cyl of a honda cbr 600 . from 1993 to 1997 they have the correct ratio.

also gearing wise on faster tracks it would pull 16 .38.

oh also forgot it had 1mm oversize inlet valves in stainless as ti valves in those can stretch.

cheers

rob

Thanks Rob,

i had heard of changing the master cylinder but couldnt find an exact answer so thank you!, i was originally looking at the EBC 320mm disk/bracket upgrade. Any ideas if i can use the whole front brake off the cbr6?

57bhp must have been fun :P i cant imagine its got too much bhp right now, but feels faster than my old ccm @ around 40hp.

fun it was... no the front end wont go in. if you are looking a good disc try a talon. i never managed to bend one or warp one and either a bracket for your own caliper or what i used was a pretech 4 piston caliper. not sure if they still make them but they where a great caliper and pretty cheap. i dont think i have anything left from mine other than a seat but i will have a hunt in the brothers place just incase. the main weak point if you dont change them is the big end. the rod itself is fine but the big end if it isnt changed can wreck the engine though as yours isnt being raced it should be grand.

fun it was... no the front end wont go in. if you are looking a good disc try a talon. i never managed to bend one or warp one and either a bracket for your own caliper or what i used was a pretech 4 piston caliper. not sure if they still make them but they where a great caliper and pretty cheap. i dont think i have anything left from mine other than a seat but i will have a hunt in the brothers place just incase. the main weak point if you dont change them is the big end. the rod itself is fine but the big end if it isnt changed can wreck the engine though as yours isnt being raced it should be grand.

looked at pre-tech's website, but cant see a caliper listed for the YZ/WR sadly, Any ideas on the model, or any other possible replacement? i think the main problem ive got with the brake is the whole brake feel and the fact it feels completely under braked compared to my previous bikes. Worth looking at a front braided line too? or just whack a better master cylinder on/fit 4pot up front.

Id try the braided line first mate as its the cheaper option out the lot.

If its still lacking the the stopping department then your have to look into the other options

as above try the braided line first. not sure of the model of caliper but try phoning them and having a yarn with them. me and the brother ran a supermoto shop up until 2007 and used to get loads of calipers for the race guys so they mite have them just not listed.... tried to put a picture of the bike up here but it wont let me paste pictures ????

Awesome photo, What header pipe is that? im still on stock header, stock cams, stock intake, just lightly ported and polished exhaust.

took the bike out for 2 hours today, got lost multiple times but was fun to go out on my own (i must be sad hey...)

DSCN0269_zps3672955f.jpg

DSCN0268_zps1f32b02a.jpg
Yes i know the side panels falling off (forgot to put its bolt back through after some cable tidying)

DSCN0267_zps53df53df.jpg

All in all i much prefer the black seat, feels comfier too even though theres less covers now haha. Bikes running well, just ordered a smaller plate as my 9x7 is getting burnt by the exhaust now :P

looks great, :jossun: go for 8x6, as it still looks legal, if you go 7x5 , you"l get pulled, and £60 fine,, :eusa_doh:

nice tidy looking bike you have. my entire pipe was a Ti item out of a yamaha race kit of the time. very hard to track down, but nowadays id go for fmf front pipe, the power bomb if you can find one.. cams id leave them alone, the stock yamaha cams are very good items as is the intake. i had the airbox sides drilled and covered in mesh as it was never taken off road as such just for track racing and it didnt need rejetting as standard yamaha sell them running a little rich for safeties sake.. only thing if you ever pull the motor apart go up in piston comp but you must change the mains and big end to cope.

cheers! its rough around the edges. I'd replace the header pipe but i cant find 2nd hand anywhere and £120+ postage is a lot of money for something im not 100% on performance/sound gain. I'd looked at the cams purely to get rid of manual decomp.

once my mud guards on and my new numberplate, i'll take a look at the braided front brake hose. after that its just going to be sticky tyres for summer and enjoy the bike for a while. I'll probably get the itch over summer to up performance though :P

cheers! its rough around the edges. I'd replace the header pipe but i cant find 2nd hand anywhere and £120+ postage is a lot of money for something im not 100% on performance/sound gain. I'd looked at the cams purely to get rid of manual decomp.

once my mud guards on and my new numberplate, i'll take a look at the braided front brake hose. after that its just going to be sticky tyres for summer and enjoy the bike for a while. I'll probably get the itch over summer to up performance though :P

the yamaha front pipe is a pretty good design so i wouldnt be to concerned, only if you hit on a fmf at good money really.. your rite tho just get out and enjoy the thing, they are great craic.

Got the new plate on. Exhaust gasses should miss it now.

20150114_174830_zpsjggdt1vq.jpg

20150114_182022_zpsphqxb9xe.jpg

Then the new mudguard went on:

20150114_173539_zps8yodoohe.jpg

20150114_174518_zpssvyun32q.jpg

the new guard looks much smaller in person. The shape is much nicer I think too. It also doesn't have the metal support on top so should be lighter too :-)

cheers dude, getting their. fancy ASV levers and a few other extra's..just got no spare cash now haha

its always a never ending story once you start lol

Got bored, so washed the bike in the garden, tried some alloy wheel cleaner and i think they look great.
20150118_155735_zps13qcf39k.jpg

Pay days Friday, need to order a catch tank as i keep leaving little 50p sized oil patches in the garage haha.

Anyone recommend a motorcycle sized catch tank? all the ones on ebay are .75 liter capacity for a car etc..