WR400 - Supermoto Conversion + Engine rebuild

rossonza
This post is 3377 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

will a 16 tooth front sprocket fit? was worried how close it would be to other components including the chain guard. was looking at going up 1 tooth on the front.

I cannot advise you but look at the link...they sell lots of sizes specific to WR400

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I cannot advise you but look at the link...they sell lots of sizes specific to WR400

Ok, Thats what im hoping for. I'll go the 15 tooth and see how it is. thanks for the link Airhead. Im worried about chain length for the 16 tooth.

Use the caculator it will show the amount of links needed,I doubt you would have any trouble fitting a 16 or even a 17 with the chain length unless your wheel is pushed all the way foward. with the stock 114 links your wheel should be about half way in the adjustment of the swing arm if it is then you can run a 17.

• Like 1

Right, took it on the motorway last night. big mistake..... tops out at 75~ full throttle.

44 tooth sprocket's a no go lol.

Anyone recommend a smaller sprocket? im sure i read if you use a smaller sprocket it rubs the frame? or is that bigger sprocket?

Thanks

Ross.

15 got ordered yesterday, ill test and post results :-)

It'll top out at 80 now.

LOL 79 anyother bets? One tooth won't make much difference, -1,14t =3.142 :1 , stock15t=2.933 : 1, +1 16t =2.75 : 1

for the extra 10 bucks you should have ordered a 16tooth as well and only paid 1 shipping.

BAWLLBAGGG

The night was going well, Replaced my front brake lever as it was an advisorie on my MOT and also i prefer being able to apply it with 2+ fingers (heyoo).

20141112_173949_zpsjb7uuilm.jpg

Took the head cover off, had to remove the bloody engine mount which i had forgotten about. Anyways
20141112_202353_zpsjicnll35.jpg

I got measuring the clearences
20141112_210749_zpsixs2zvwv.jpg

Got a few tight, and a few not so tight so there is work to be done on the valves.

Whilst turning the engine over to get tdc i found a puddle under the bike, looks like the F*******ng water pump seal has gone (AGAIN)...... so either the shafts worn, or its purely the seal again for god knows whatever reason. Now i do have a spare bottom end, so i may whip it apart and check if i could nick the shaft from that and just order new seals/bearings (£8 rather than £33).

Im just glad ive caught it before i overheated the engine.

overall im annoyed as its only been ridden once :S

gremlins in a old bike are to be expected,You might be able to just shim the seal out a bit so it's not riding on the same part of the shaft.And pre lube it with some grease,if you put it in dry the last time then it can fail quite quickly,lots of heat right there. lube the seal in the center between the 2 lips of the seal where it rides on the shaft.NOT alot just enough to fill the V between.

I use "super lube" ( from permatex,actualy that is the only lube I use on the whole bike works for elec's connections and swing arm bushings, steering head ect it's wonderfull stuff) but any good grease will work.

But for 30 why do it 3x times new shaft seal and she should be good to go for many miles they are a slow wear item.

LOl told you it would be better to buy the shim kit,you will be in there alot and it's a pain when you dont have the right one.

How did the 15t sprocket work out.?

...lube the seal in the center between the 2 lips of the seal where it rides on the shaft. NOT alot just enough to fill the V between...

Wait, what're we talking about here? :eusa_shifty:
  • Like 2

gremlins in a old bike are to be expected,You might be able to just shim the seal out a bit so it's not riding on the same part of the shaft.And pre lube it with some grease,if you put it in dry the last time then it can fail quite quickly,lots of heat right there. lube the seal in the center between the 2 lips of the seal where it rides on the shaft.NOT alot just enough to fill the V between.

I use "super lube" ( from permatex,actualy that is the only lube I use on the whole bike works for elec's connections and swing arm bushings, steering head ect it's wonderfull stuff) but any good grease will work.

But for 30 why do it 3x times new shaft seal and she should be good to go for many miles they are a slow wear item.

LOl told you it would be better to buy the shim kit,you will be in there alot and it's a pain when you dont have the right one.

How did the 15t sprocket work out.?

No, we didn't use any lube at all. just a swap of the bearing and seal. Have you got a link at all? I Cant find anything with that name in the UK, if not what else is recommended? some bearing grease be ok?

Well i've just ordered the shaft and seal kit, like you say for £30 why risk it :-)

and yes you did so thanks dude :-) appreciate it.

Well i went to fit it today and i dont have the right sized socket, the last time i changed it was using my friends snapon gun which must have had the socket on the end already. so its not changed lol.

Now im stranded without it..so may go halfords and buy one today. anyone know if its a 32? my 30 isnt big enough, but ive got nothing bigger than 30 to try to guess the fitment.

on a side note... YZ cam timing, i cant afford the hot cams just yet, but ive read nothing but good reviews on changing the timing. What you do guys think? worth a go?, Make much difference?

Thanks

Ross.

• 2 weeks later...

been too busy to get the bike done, and the weathers been crap..

checked my original bottom end (the engine that came with the bike) to see if i could use the water pump shaft from that.

sadly its about 10x worse than my current shaft.... looks like ill be ordering from the states (may give yam a call just for a laugh)
20141122_154913_zpslnu5sojv.jpg

So.... as im kinda waiting pay day to order a new shaft (and trailech vapor :-) )i thought id tidy the garage, fit some shelves, make a table etc.
DSCN0100_zpsc84ec1e7.jpg

Hopefully updates early/mid next week!

Well to my surprise yam tamworth came back with £41.so I went for it. Didn't want to wait the 2+ weeks delivery and Christmas post delays for this... With me this week woooooo

Haha so did I. Took me 3 hours to get to that level. Still loads to do :-s

Got my shaft:
20141126_175406_zpsumqpvgwo.jpg

Speedo:
The speedo really wasn't cutting it for me, Also it didnt have a back light so made night riding through the m42's speed cameras was scary....
DSCN0114_zps0052171b.jpg

New toy arrived:
DSCN0115_zps2b2c34dc.jpg

Fitted the sensor to the fork guards:
DSCN0122_zps5d50f5b6.jpg

Took the coil off to attach the RPM sensor cable to the vapor, Found a few issues. First up was the coil connectors were covered in crap, so i gave them a quick clean up;
DSCN0127_zpsc7769b35.jpg

Found a little bit of a scary bodge for the coil wiring:
DSCN0132_zps18f54978.jpg

Out came the soldering iron and the snips and its now all soldered in nicely. I really didn't fancy leaving the coil bodged too long.

Dash temporarily fitted whilst i get a the power and water temp sensors hooked up.

Once ive got the dash all fitted ill be doing the waterpump shaft and finally finishing the valve shim replacements.

Right,

Been busy the last few nights and actually went out into the cold garage:

Dropped the oil and coolant:
DSCN0136_zpsce9bae74.jpg
DSCN0141_zps9307f309.jpg

Case off:
DSCN0150_zpsc7a575d4.jpg

Water seals shot:
waterseal_zpse87b9cd3.jpg

As is the shaft:
Old on top, new on bottom
DSCN0155_zpsa9738b1c.jpg

Bolts kept in order:
DSCN0148_zps30ec3632.jpg

Rad hose:
DSCN0144_zpsde17f065.jpg

Offering it up, so i can see where to cut:
DSCN0145_zps9c086599.jpg

Fitted:
DSCN0146_zps9a92bc98.jpg

Moved onto working on the top end:
DSCN0167_zps8726e9f2.jpg

Cam chain tensioner removed:
DSCN0169_zpse4adda49.jpg

Measuring up:
DSCN0168_zpsf307c618.jpg

Cam covers removed and access to buckets/shims is revealed:
DSCN0185_zpsfda3aa9b.jpg

Checking tolerances again:
DSCN0189_zpsb3b2aa9e.jpg

Managed to nearly get done last night, just the exhaust shims need doing now. Also...... ive done the water temp sensor install and have since won some blue samco hosing on ebay. So im going to have to do it all over again lol.

Hopefully updates tonight and confirming my bikes running again. :spin2:

quick update.

i put it all back together and im now back to a working bike!!! :-) vapor dash was money well spent, got water temp,speed,rpm's etc.
not got any photo's of the re-build sadly, was in a rush to get it ready for a ride today. Still waiting on my samco hosing.... booooo.

Went out for a ride with my mate steve on his gasser ec250 down some lanes around bromsgrove/droitwich/worcester. bit arty, but why not?!

IMG_8295_zpsc37f1781.jpg
IMG_8299_zpscc0cd1aa.jpg
IMG_8300_zpsb9750e75.jpg
IMG_8314_zps93567344.jpg
IMG_8320_zps36d6c738.jpg
IMG_8326_zps98e0e79c.jpg
IMG_8332_zps6e4afa02.jpg

bike ran like a dream, 16 tooth sprocket up front has raised my top speed from a cruiseable 50, to 60~. so hit he m42 on the way home tonight and felt fine. Had to modify the chain slider with a sharp knife so the sprocket didnt catch, but went in fine and doesnt hit now.

side note, may have broken my ankle. in my rush this morning to get out on the bike, i kicked it over wearing trainers.... yup had a bounceback on the kick start, now cant walk........ waiting to see what its like tomorrow.

so all in all a good day..ignoring my foot/ankle lol

Ross.

• Like 3