WR400 - Supermoto Conversion + Engine rebuild

rossonza
This post is 3357 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sadly shes not as tidy as she may look. plastics are scratched.

What do you guys think of me cutting down the front mudguard. for a more supermoto racer look?

ive got a black front mud guard which i could cut down to compare looks first i guess. mmmm what to do.

Would it look better with a lower, stubby, guard? Not right over the wheel but lower than bolted to the bottom of the yolk.

Just an idea. Some kind of brace clamped to the forks and used as a fitting for the guard. Shorter and chunkier so match the supermoto wheels. Not sure but what you have at the moment doesn't work for me.

Got round to getting my front brake back off my mate who drilled the old bolt out. New one in place looking much nicer:

20140713_171651_zpshm2equxd.jpg

Fitted my battery powered horn to the side of the ignition barrel:
20140713_171751_zps2dujn1my.jpg

Had some goodies through the post today :-)
motorcycle chain tool and my chain slider/chain guide block.

20140714_104132_zpswu0zgsdy.jpg
20140714_110759_zpsjdhobyx3.jpg

Cheers
Ross.

Little update, got bored and painted my chain guide and sidestand black. My friends are popping over Friday to start work on the valves/spacers.

20140714_190323_zpsvebpp9qm.jpg
20140714_190504_zpsc60lj6mo.jpg
20140714_220501_zpsthjlso5s.jpg

I keep looking at the frame and think to myself i should powder coat. however i just want to ride her before the crap weather comes back. maybe ill get her powder coated over winter. hmmmm

I know that feeling about powder coating it. It is far too nice for the bike to spend any longer than necessary in the garage.

Ive just stripped the bike back to the frame and primered it and sprayed it rattlecan style. Protect it for now. sort it out when winter comes. Fortunately the job is hidden by plastics. It was purely a peace of mind jobby.

Well I'm going to be running her without the frame protectors (weight saving so my mate on the gasser doesn't leave me behind) so i may touch it up for the moment, then perhaps powder coat in the winter.

made a small amount of progress last night, unfortunately everything didnt go to plan.

plan was friend comes over after work, take head off bike and get head ready for me to do the valves, fit numberplate light and solder in place, fit spacers then chain.

head off didnt happen and the rear light turned out to be a pain in the arse :-(

took the light apart to wire up, got the soldering iron hot. All of a sudden the power trips. 3 or 4 trips later we realise the soldering irons glowing yellow and decide its broken.... damn dont have a spare etc. so lights left like this currently:
20140719_100112_zpssud5ppfo.jpg
The plan is to either get a new iron or just order a different rear mudguard and get a drc edge 2 rear light. will look nice, i just wanted cheap to get me on the road the soonest.

And here we are, Chain on and im happy :-)
20140719_100020_zpsqq7ea6cs.jpg

So, head to be done another day, and ive got to decide on the the rear mudguard/light setup.

Spacer information for Morad supermoto wheels, drilled out drz spindle (to 22mm IDA to match the 22mm ODA of the axle) .
3mm drive side - spacer width
8mm brake side - spacer width

Small update:

Picked up some exhaust bluing fluid to see if i can clean the header pipe up a bit:
20140721_112040_zps7roi30hw.jpg7

Before:
20140721_172723_zpsv5ssgl3p.jpg

After:
20140721_190502_zpsxoys7m0c.jpg

Best i could do, the metal is really rough. So maybe a nice powerbomb header pipe when i can afford one.

Id been thinking for a few days about changing up the rear fender and fitting a drc edge 2. well that thought turned into a decision and i took the rear fender off. I've ordered a UFO replacement fender and im going to order the drc on Friday.
20140721_190119_zpstwlehjfq.jpg

Old fender for comparison. Parts should be here Wednesday
20140721_191100_zpslghrzwsd.jpg

Thanks
Ross.

it was £12.99 posted, not sure why it has the label. but yes. any excuse to spend money towards the bike i use it. the mrs has a go at me for all the parcels i have turn up to work lol

Done a little bit of work, started polishing the header pipe, looking better than before, but i've ran out of sandpaper. Fitted my new rear fender. ordering the light tomorrow :-)

20140723_175734_zpsycvdhtmv.jpg

20140723_200634_zpsgptelyje.jpg

Smallish update.

My friend Steve came over and we started stripping the components from around the engine:
20140730_111409_zpsoib7q3nw.jpg

Also got my temporary speedo fitted (bicycle) to get through the MOT This involved extending the speedo wires and mounting the magnet to the spokes and the sensor to the fork guard.
Nice and sturdy now:
20140730_111431_zps1foflbke.jpg

Cover off:
20140730_112115_zpsrsjzji0d.jpg

Pile of bits:
20140730_112129_zpsvilpukj8.jpg

Cams/Cam Carriers out:
20140730_113920_zpszj6t7aen.jpg

Head ready to be worked on:
20140730_114035_zpseynnvna4.jpg

Piston looks good and the barrel is not scored at all. So im a happy bunny in those regards.
20140730_114046_zpszkongjgw.jpg

Sadly my lighting system hasn't turned up today so we didn't get round to fitting. Ive in the mean time ordered a fuel tap repair kit as my taps decided to start leaking.

Friday im going back to the town all my friends live at and we will be swapping the old valves for new. hopefully i wont have to re-shim. dont fancy dropping £80 on the hot cams shim kit.

Also anyone know if i can re-use the head gasket? or do i need to buy a new one.

Thanks
Ross.

Next steps

I wouldn't suggest re using the head gasket,and order the shim kit now you will need it ,even if you can swap the shims around and get very lucky not to need them now, once the new valves seat in they will need to be shimed in 200 miles or less. I would check them after 50 miles don't want to whipe out the cams.