WR400 - Supermoto Conversion + Engine rebuild

rossonza
This post is 3356 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

thought the law required 1 mirror, or is that cars? suppose indicators could be added t a later date. as long as i get road legal for summer :-)

pretty sure the UK law regarding mirrors is all or nothin'. You can have two or none, but not just the one. That's what i was lead to believe anyways....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Are you really asking that question. I'd say it's pretty self explanitory! On or Off switch and you're asking why it only switches on and off???

You should have a low / high beam switch on the other side of your handlebars

Jimmy,

Ive got nothing on the otherside, only the engine stop switch. also i cant see any wiring for it if i were to have different switchgear (unless the right handside switchgear is aftermarket and the wires are there under the heat shrink).

also please note shes an import so i dont know if the wirings any different for "Europe"

Thanks

Ross.

FYI i emailed the MOT station im going to and the guys replied saying it will pass as long as the light comes on when he presses the switch. not fussed about dipped/main beam.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

20140615_170837_zpspnbhfda4.jpg
got bored and put the front wheel in just to keep me interested in the project. rear spindle comes back this week and ill then be looking at making/ordering wheel spacers.

not long now

Valves
Brake Pads
Horn

MOT

• 2 weeks later...

No updates really as im waiting to be paid then ill be on the road in a month i reckon

However its my Birthday in July and work give us a voucher to spend on whatever we like for our birthdays. As the Halfords socket sets are on offer i asked the HR lady if i could have my gift card early......

20140625_184845_zpscw80gay8.jpg

If you dont ask you dont get ;-)

woooooooooo, this should make my life easy (ive been using really really awful tools up until now and always needed friends tools who live miles away)

Im happy :-)

I have that set. It's absolutely lovely.

The only bad thing about it is the hex bit retaining clip found in that plastic tub box.

I lost it now all my bits fall out if you don't hold the tool 90 degrees +. So frustrating. Why they didn't use a ball bearing like everything else is beyond me.

I also have that set, and lasso and a few others I think. We should contact Halfords and try to negotiate a YOC discount

Did you get the wheel spindle back from Bob? I am still waiting for my barrels and heads.

If you get Halfords tools, only get the professional range. Very good for the money and look around Christmas time (just before and after) as they do a lot of half price stuff then.

Hey mate, Yes i got the spindle back (reminds me i need to email him thanks). spindles spot on and the axle slides right through. Waiting on my rear wheel bearing kit to arrive this week and then ill get the back wheel in properly.

Ordered yesterday:

Valves (from the US)

rear wheel bearings and dust seals

front and rear brake pads

oil filter

magnetic sump plug and spare washers

LED numberplate light for the rear

just got the following to order then MOT time

Bicycle speedometer (until i can afford a trailtech vapor)

some sort of battery horn

front and rear wheel spacers to get the SM wheels to fit.

not long now..... excited :-)

20140625_213520_zpsc9ncspka.jpg

had my pads and new sump plug and a few other bits arrive the other day. Cant believe the state of the old pads....

20140701_190923_zps6mjggk68.jpg

20140701_200151_zpsem2k44uz.jpg

Rears were a nice easy swap. However..... the front was and still is an issue :-(

First: the notch was ruined by the previous owner:

20140701_203335_zpsx8mics2e.jpg

Bit of light dremel work and shes free, However i didnt realise the pin was in 2 parts, A small cap on the outside then the actual pin further in:

20140702_201149_zpsggqjgmrm.jpg

the actual pin has been completely smoothed out of its hex key shape. Its perfectly round so the previous owner must have attempted a drill out and failed.

looks like its up to me now.

DAMNEEEEEET

So,

My friend ian managed to get the pin out after a few failed drilling attempts at mine, used his bench drill as a hand drill was not quite good enough to keep the threads from being damaged.

IMG-20140707-WA0000_zps6eh8ngag.jpg

So im just waiting on either him to come over or me to pop to his to collect and try my new brake pin/pads.

Had some goodies come through the post:

20140707_143945_zpsnhhv0evm.jpg

20140703_101022_zpsj6wibfhx.jpg

20140703_114956_zpsjfxlbx1y.jpg

20140703_132100_zpsiipn9fjq.jpg

It was my birthday on Sunday and the mrs got me these :-) ready for some supermoto action

20140705_124210_zpsgxara4ex.jpg

Also my new 44 tooth sprocket arrived and fits perfect.

Valves clear customs on the 15th of July. Waiting on some numberplate parts then im pretty much sorted.

left to do:

1. drop oil/coolant and change oil filter

2. fit horn

3. wire in and fit numberplate LED light

4. change front tyre (friend gave me one with more tread on) - hopefully helps with MOT.

5. install valves

6. fit new wheel bearings for rear wheel (PAIN IN MY ASS)

7. make up wheel spacers

8. fit front brake pads and brake pin

9. get her idling and test ride up the street

10. insure

11. mot

12. tax

13. HOOOOOOON (oh fuel then HOOOOOOON)

Small update:

Got my spacer tubing ready to be made into spacers:
20140710_123013_zpspn0f2s2w.jpg

I then put my rear wheel in and finally put her on the ground. however i found the rear disk was bent beyond belief:
20140710_173432_zps9kp3v7ns.jpg
Luckily my off-road wheels use the exact same disk and i put that on :-)

Then once she was on the floor (first time in aaaaages) i attempted to take the sump nut off. Typically it rounded, luckily my friend suggested putting a 7/16 imperial bit on via the help of a hammer. This worked a treat, However i hammered my finger and hand and left blood everywhere.
The bolt went from a 12mm head to a 17mm head
20140710_183755_zpsbfky4fy7.jpg

Oil filter out and compared to the new one:
20140710_185516_zpsg9zv6l4j.jpg

Put her back under her cover then cleaned the garage. Going to get my spacers cut down Saturday hopefully and then i can fit the chain etc.
20140710_190756_zpsq3vgyp3e.jpg
20140710_194322_zpsenf68oxm.jpg

More updates as parts arrive. Valves is the last big job and i should soon be on the road :-)

E gads that is one ugly oil filter,if I seen one of them I would strip the whole eng