WR400 - Supermoto Conversion + Engine rebuild

rossonza
This post is 3379 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My carb mixture screw has come today. So all outstanding parts apart from the rear wheel bearings are here. Plan is to do all the jobs on Thursday as ive got the day off. then i only need a few items to get it ready for MOT. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo

20140501_122828_zps2ib3nwck.jpg

I'm guessing the numbers on the end are to figure out how many turns of adjustment you make?

Ross.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Had a bad night. Old screw would not come out. Turns out the washer was fubar and came out in bits. Got it out in the end. Then trying to put the new adjuster in I've threaded the first 2 threads on the new mixture screw.

So I don't know yet if I've wrecked the carb or just the mixture screw.

Now in a bad mood

20140501_195704_zps8upcjmyz.jpg

Does the black lever thing on this picture look to be in the correct place (one with the plunger) i thought it clicked out of place whilst i was removing the carb from the bike.

x20140501_201520_zpss5jfaczj.jpg

Ok took me amin cause you have the carb upside down,but yes it fine and thats the accelerator pump.

Had a bad night. Old screw would not come out. Turns out the washer was fubar and came out in bits. Got it out in the end. Then trying to put the new adjuster in I've threaded the first 2 threads on the new mixture screw.

So I don't know yet if I've wrecked the carb or just the mixture screw.

Now in a bad mood

20140501_195704_zps8upcjmyz.jpg

Read my signature,,,,,,if it wasn't comming free you wouldnt have been abe to adjust your mixture anyway so it had to be freeed up

,This you should have soaked in peretrating fluid/warmed with a heat gun or what ever it was gong to take to get it freed up and turned it in befor trying to turn it out, I did tell you to count the turns from bottoming before you took it out,,,,the other bad part is now you dont know how many turns from bottom to start with.

Before you go forcing the new mixture screw in take your time and get in there and clean up any mess you made with a pick and make sure there is nothing left of the old still in there.Bottom it out and start with 1 1/2 turns out this will give you a base to start with,if it has gone in 2 full turns easy with out forcing it then the carb is probably ok.Make sure you put it back in the right order oring washer spring washer mix screw.

Get the bike running again before you do any more work.It might be a bitch to start and you want to get the carb close to right so you dont confuse yourself with a bike that wont start after rebuilding the head. If the bike wont start at 1.5 turns then keep turning it out 1 /4 a turn untill you get it to start but dont go more that 3 full turns.Then you will have to play with the mixture untill you get it so the bike pulls clean and that I cant tell you where to set it.

Sorry dt I did read what you had said. The screw was 1.2 turns out.

Thanks mate just checking.

Going to retap my new mixture screw. Looks like the carbs fine. Sprayed some carb cleaner down her.

Good you got all that somewhat sorted,,the new mix screw has the other extra o ring on the shaft,, to stop the crap from building up in there again so that dosent happen again. Give the none threaded are a good cleaning so it can seal up,some grease also

Mud came out with the old screw. I just hadn't cleaned it enough initially.

Yeah I've got.some bearing grease. That should do :-)

Thursdays bike day. Got the day off work so it may be near mot time at the end of the day. Wooooo

small update before i start work on her tomorrow with my friends:

when i got the v5 i noted the bike had "Was registered/Used overseas, Declared manufactured 1999" - Whereas the bike said first registration was 2003.

I phoned the DVLA and they advised they couldnt advise me. So i phoned Yamaha UK and spoke to a helpful chap. Hes advised it was from "Mainland Europe" and thats all he knew.

re-ran my insurance check and its £5 more expensive than the last time i checked so not bad at all :-)

hopefully BIG updates tomorrow.

• Like 1

No issues with that. First UK registration was 2003. My Speedtwin shows declared manufactured 1959, First registered 1984. It still qualifies for the MOT exempt and nil cost Road tax

Good to know, Thank you.

£650 of pure torque and the nut was off in seconds.

20140508_110018_zps0byzcqcl.jpg

20140508_110507_zpso27s4beh.jpg

Old and New:

20140508_110513_zpsipiqom0y.jpg

freezer strat:

20140508_113318_zps8myulby5.jpg

ended up using some of my weights to get the race washer on (aka weight slide hammer):

20140508_123056_zpshymlegxc.jpg

front end back on:

20140508_125712_zpsdev7hvvw.jpg

Next to tackle was the water pump seal, Turns out someone may have done this before and put the water seal in backwards. Clutch basket is in great condition and theres no movement so all good clutch side. Checked for any bits of metal too and the bottom end is really nice and clean:

20140508_153453_zpss4attikl.jpg

20140508_153739_zpse2orjiuu.jpg

Old seals and bearing out, new ones in:

20140508_160304_zpszowzevef.jpg

back together and almost ready to test:

20140508_163438_zpso5jaecxv.jpg

WINNER: the new mixture screw hadnt threaded the carb, turns out the carb bottom had a bur on the inside, so a quick whizz with the drill and the new screw fits perfect. set to 1.5 turns out. you can see compared the difference between drilled and not drilled carb bottom:

20140501_201806_zpsrmuyfqsi.jpg

20140508_163452_zpsdpvv64jq.jpg

Didnt get chance to put fluids in again as i needed a new exhaust bolt. so whilst the rads off i thought id not bother putting fluids back in yet.

exhaust didnt get opened up so thats on the list. started to replace the clutch cable and throttle cables but again ran out of time.

Also replaced the kick starter lever from the other engine so it feels much nicer.

left to do:

1. re-pack exhaust

2. refit exhaust header pipe

3. tape over drilled airbox holes.

4. refit headlight unit.

5. fit new grips

6. replace valves

7. fit new rear wheel bearings

8. MOT

Thanks

Ross

FUCK YEAH! :jossun:

My enduro just failed its MOT last week :( headlight bracket was snapped on one side, horn is fucked and rear brake sticking.

Make sure you check everything over before the MOT, i thought the only thing the bike would fail on was noisy exhaust....and he never even mentioned it lol.

Good progress sir. You'll be digging trenches with that thing soon enough. Using the weight as a sliding hammer is a damn good idea, nice and even.

Way to go Ross comming right along,you got some good buddies to help you ,should have it up and done in a week or so time permitting.

Having some good tools alway helps.LOL

haha yea, to be honest my friends do most of the work and i try bit and bobs (tea and coffee making :spin2: ). but the knowledge they have far exceeds my basic knowledge.

think calipers need rebuilding so trying to find brake caliper rebuild kits in the UK for a decent price. as usual loads in the US ebay. damnittttt

still a long way to go really but it at least feels like I'm getting closer with her.

just trying to figure out which way the throttle cables go as the ends are slightly different. and as usual i didnt take pictures or take notes of the original cables.

So. Had the day off again today so I headed to bromsgrove to see my mate Steve.

I knew the exhaust sounded loud. Too loud.
20140513_134658_zpsm4tpid08.jpg

20140513_140128_zpsrl6xcvdd.jpg

20140513_140146_zpsnvo1yhlx.jpg

turns out the previous owner cut her down and repacked with less than half the original packing. So ill order some more and fill her up and re-rivet.

Ross

got home and ive sorted it. Not the best looking and ill give her a good clean/polish and fingers crossed shes a bit quieter.

20140515_182639_zpszikiqr3l.jpg

Filled as much as i can:

20140515_183311_zpsuazadlp7.jpg

Put some exhaust paste on the end that slides into the can:

20140515_183742_zpsmhvm8gpm.jpg

First time using a pop rivet gun and was surprisingly easy to use. could have maybe done with slightly bigger rivets but will do until i get round to buying a posh end can:

20140515_184823_zpssz7sjs5i.jpg

Looks ok on the bike so, as i said will do for now.

20140515_185132_zpsglulvcbz.jpg

Valves and chain/sprockets then its MOT time :-)

Fired her up. Sounds a lot quieter. Should pass an mot with that now. The link between the end can and the header pipe is not sealed well at all though..boooo

Manual decomp bracket should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. So ill get a video of her going then. Checked the lights worked too..just got to rig up indicators and a horn. Oh and switch gear.

Front pads need doing so may as well do rears too..so nearly MOT time. Sprockets and chain being ordered on then 30th.

Just need to raise the idle speed now (black knob on carb clockwise?)

Cheers
Ross

Given up for the night.

Fitted my decomp bracket and of course what happens? Decomp cable snaps..so ones coming Friday. :-(

Still need to get her to idle. Any tips? The black knob on the side doesn't feel like it's doing much. Havnt touched my mixture screw since fitting (1.5 turns out)