WR400 - Supermoto Conversion + Engine rebuild

rossonza
This post is 3383 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

so it keeps the 1 valve open so its easier to kick but allows the bike to start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVzk1XqJ2eU&list=UU3JFJyPm9edcQP55AnxScdQ

he explains the hot cams at about 4 mins in.

Not sure if it's of any use because i know very little about this stuff, but i remember stumbling across it a while back. :eusa_think:

The video ,2 . Husqvarna 610 [ crazy stuff] , These guys aint gonna see pension age ... :crazy:

Supermotos bring out the hooligan in everyone! Something as light and nimble as that, and they are made to be dropped. great ehh

Hopefully rossonza will take it easy for a little while at least :eusa_whistle:

Thanks dude. A linked video shows how to install etc too and it kicks in 1 kick. Definitely worth the upgrade!

No uk suppliers so import tax here I come.

Still cant find out if I can just buy an exhaust cam. Rather than the set

• Like 1

Supermotos bring out the hooligan in everyone! Something as light and nimble as that, and they are made to be dropped. great ehh

Hopefully rossonza will take it easy for a little while at least :eusa_whistle:

Funny how they didn't catch on to start with, something the euro's gave us worth having. My tdr is at heart a DT125 with a TZR 250 motor in it. No matter HOW you say that its going to be fun......You cannot have light, powerful and boring in one motorcycle.

• Like 1

You can install just the exhaust cam but if you can afford it get the intake as well for the hp gain.But the exhaust cam makes life soooooooooo much easier,no pissing around finding tdc and then you only get 1 kick then start over if it dosent start.With the hot cam just kick untill it starts hot or cold my bike normaly starts 2 kicks

Funny how they didn't catch on to start with, something the euro's gave us worth having. My tdr is at heart a DT125 with a TZR 250 motor in it. No matter HOW you say that its going to be fun......You cannot have light, powerful and boring in one motorcycle.

YES! :jossun:

Just leave the the lever in place,and remove the cable.simple and easy

Why did I not think of this???? Thanks again..Appreciate your input. At the moment I think ill buy valves and exhaust cam. Then when I can afford it buy the intake cam.

Still lots to do

Right so today i had 15 minutes free so i started by taking the forks out of the frame ready to do the fork oil seals and dust shields:

Got the brake caliper off and secured out of the way (looks like she needs a clean/new pads):

th_20140421_141041_zps055f6b03.jpg

th_20140421_141237_zps8571266c.jpg

Wheel out:

th_20140421_142046_zps1fbd208b.jpg

Forks fully out, ready for seals to be done:

th_20140421_144217_zps32211fe6.jpg

Bike's a bit wobbly in the garage now but i should hopefully get the fork seals done soon :-)

th_20140421_144224_zps8a85e25d.jpg

Thanks

Ross.

Well i took my forks out and took the bits up to my friends in Bromsgrove.

Bench laid out ready to work:

th_20140423_142647_zpse0lot479.jpg

Top of the forks out:

th_20140423_144517_zps7j1qyemc.jpg

Springs and rebound rods out:

th_20140423_144155_zpssvge6lo7.jpg

New seals on:

th_20140423_145901_zpsfhhnc2pg.jpg

However, the new dust seals just would not fit, so we will be tackling them Saturday afternoon hopefully along with my head bearings.

On another note, my water pump seals came so i will be tackling that soon too:

th_20140424_122412_zpshjbdonv3.jpg

FYI i used this guide to rebuild the forks with the new seals:

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16751

Ordering valves Friday (oem yamaha) so thats my next job. Hopefully i dont need to order new shims, guess well see.

Next update should hopefully have the bike together again :-)

And you thought the WEB CAMS ones were expencive LOL,even that price for wiseco valves is a bit high compared to the link I sent you,but with the international shipping fees included it might turn out cheaper.IYou can replace alot of valves for the difference though compared to what Yam wants your side.

3 sets of wiseco valves for the price of 1 single valve from yamaha. It's stupid.

Wheels next on my list then valves then mot time. Just need to check indicators/lights all work.

Not long now. I'll buy bling bits for summer

HAHA and you get a free sticker with the Wiseco nothing from yam.

Ya that sounds right ,But I would dich the idle jet and put in the screw type for ultra fine tuning as these motors run different every day depending on temp/humidity. And for starting having the idle jet tuned makes a big difference

Right now I cant think of the company that makes them haveing a sometimers,basicaly its just a thumb screw that hangs down so you can fine tund the pilot setting with the carb in place and running with no tools.