WR400 - Supermoto Conversion + Engine rebuild

rossonza
This post is 3379 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Cheers dude! :-)

idle was a tad fast, but it was on the choke. I was really surprised by the lack of smoke. i thought the amount of oil we put in the head would have needed to burn off at some point during the first start.

the no plug was such a fail, All i wanted to do was kick it over and i had completely forgotten about me buying the replacement plug 2 weeks ago and not fitting it haha. live and learn hey...

also a slight hanging idle on blip of the throttle, think its just mixture atm.

I'll try and get a video of the light setup for you mate, i lowered the idle speed and the LED's flicker a little bit, but as soon as im on any kind of rev's its as bright as anything

One thing i will say thought is the front bulb isnt bright at all.

Anyone recommend a replacement?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

They all filcker on idle,I put a UFO complete head light farring and light 55-60w was 100.00... less than the yam light alone,when my light got broken and it is BRIGHT.The only thing is the rubber straps that mount it to the forks only last about 3 years and need to be replaced 20 bucks as they are all cracked.

The hang up is your pilot adjustment ,having the quick adjuster you can get it solved easy.

Bike's looking good

100 is a bit steep. Was kind of hoping a higher wattage bulb would do.

Ahhh ok ill have a play closer to mot time.

Thanks mate. Needs it's panels putting on and the seat is currently being recovered.

Lol thats loonies--- canucks bucks $ ,,converted would be 50 ish of your monoply I would guess?

Edit remember the charging system is a complete loss system( no battery) and the light gets brighter as you rev the bike thoe the stock is not that good.

Sorry was thinking GBP when i read your 100. I Suppose £50 isnt too bad knowing ill actually be able to see at night haha.

Then again this is going to be a toy. So i doubt it will be ridden at night much.

Well a rushed ride to the MOT with a bike that backfires like crazy on deceleration and wont idle at all.... she passed with 2 advisories :-)

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

20141031_161836_zpsigpqsysv.jpg

1. Exhaust Noise
2. Short lever (front brake lever has the ball cut off)

I then spent the next 45 minutes trying to adjust the carb and finally got it dialed in. it felt like i had gained a load of HP (it popped the front up in 1'st half throttle, i changed to 2nd to drop the front and it stayed up, again 3rd and wheelie....)

turns out i can now power wheelie 300 yards haha :-)

bikes feels stupid fast compared to my old r30, Then again it may just be ive not ridden for 6+ months.

im sat at home with a big grin on my face, Just waiting for my mates to decide they can go for a ride this weekend at some point :-)

The projects not over mind, got lots of little things to do/upgrade still.

:eusa_clap: Long time comming :hyper: ,you are going to have a perma smile everytime you ride it. I suggest crazy glueing you lip's together for the first rides,or a breath guard to keep from eating so many bugs. :facelick:

Now you have ridden it you bank account will be empty for a while,everything you didn't care about will get attention and steal your cash.

Enjoy it and remember to check the valves

• Like 1

A great thread with a great conclusion. As folk have said, now it's up and running throw away any ideas of selling it on

Nice one mate, good job now its time to get out there and enjoy the ride.

Still only ridden it once (after the MOT) but i already know i need a speedo upgrade. So i'll be looking at either a vapor or the endurance model.

Think im going for my first night ride on it tonight, so will be interesting to see if i can actually see with the standard headlight :P

Thanks for the comments guys, Bikes staying at the moment. No rush to sell quite yet.

Right, took it on the motorway last night. big mistake..... tops out at 75~ full throttle.

44 tooth sprocket's a no go lol.

Anyone recommend a smaller sprocket? im sure i read if you use a smaller sprocket it rubs the frame? or is that bigger sprocket?

Thanks

Ross.

I would, but i have to use a lot of dual carriageways when visiting other biker friends, riding at 50mph at a nice rpm just isnt going to cut it. especially as a freshly rebuilt engine id rather not run it at high rpm's to go anywhere.

Here you can play with gearing http://www.gearingcommander.com/ and find something that will suite.When you change the wheel size smaller ,as you have, you actualy geared the bike up( read slower,torquier) if you used the same sprocket.You should have changed the rear sprocket to suite the 17" wheel.

Changin the front is the easiest and cheapest,normaly no changes need to be made the the chain lenght.So if you want to change it back for the fun gearing you have now ,you can in minutes

Ahhh thanks guys. I'll count what I've got on the front and order a new one. Will post the results :-)

Cheers for the link dt. I'd seen it before but couldn't remember it's name :-)

Side note - ordered indicators and switch gear today. Going to order a filter and get some oil to do the oil change and check shims (done 100 miles now)