fast indicators

ridercooke
This post is 3678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Fitted 2 new indicators and for some reason (it did it before) they flash fast. I was thinking its because the bike was not started nor have I tried them with the bike started. (other things need doing first) but I cant see that making much difference tbh.

They all flash no bulbs out ect so first question

1. What could be the reason for them flashing fast ?

2. Will it pass a mot with fast indicators?

Cheers joe

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If anything they will flash faster with the bike running,check the flasher relay and see if someone put in the wrong one,and clean all grounds.

Check all other electrics for working with the bike running

Yeah all the the lights ect work it was only the indicators that needed to be changed.

If anything they will flash faster with the bike running,check the flasher relay and see if someone put in the wrong one,and clean all grounds.

Where is the relay on a dt ?

No it wont pass with fast indicators.

Just fit higher wattage bulbs, or in line resistors. What type and wattage are the current bulbs.

If you listen you will hear it go click click when the signals are on under the seat/side pannels.And you can feel it.

Cynic has a good point though did you fit led's or the wrong bulbs? The flasher is just a bi mettal piece of tin designed to work with the resistance in the bulbs.or fit higher wat bulbs as Cynic suggested Ie: 12v 21 w vs 12v 18 w.But if they are of the same watage as stock then it has the wrong flasher unit

Ahh right they are these ones on ebay 400536937669

only fitted 2 to the back .

Ahh right they are these ones on ebay 400536937669

only fitted 2 to the back .

I think DT and Cynic might come back and ask you to be a bit more clearer on this.

Yep, mini indicators. Using I think 12w capless bulbs. Either get some higher wattage bulbs (you can get 18's I think) although they may damage the lenses. Otherwise you need an LED flasher relay.

That uses an electronic timer instead of the bi metal strip DT was talking about.

I will see today if I can get the bulbs out because it looks like they a glued shut. If I cant I will take them off so they cant be tested then sort them out after its on the road.

Nothing to sort out change the flasher relay to a led one and stick 2 more on the front,or put a resistor in line.Them lights are disposable as in not servicable once burnt out throw them away and buy new.

Them leds can get expencive,I just did a 900.00 dollar turnsignal bulb replacement on a BMW had to buy the whole light assembly :crazy:

In the future if your asking for help you should include all the information,you only said I put new signals on,, not different ones we cant see your bike so how would we know?

Anyway you know what you need to do now so good luck with the rest.

Actually, before you go buying loads of shit - it depends how fast they flash.

The aftermarket indicators my FJ came with flashed at around 110bpm and I *believe* the range for passing MoT is between 60 and 120bpm.

I since put original FJ ones on and it went straight back to a comfortable 80bpm.

Ahh right well im thinking now just put it in and try it all they can say is fail but I think at they might just say to change them. They flash thats the main thing haha

Just set a 1 minute timer (wristwatch, mobile phone, kitchen timer, whatever) and count the number of flashes.

So long as it's between 60 and 120 flashes per minute, you're fine.

Here's the official line on it:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_150.htm

Ok cheers for the help :) i will time it tomorrow before i take it out for the first time. :D god I have missed bikes haha

It wont fail your just get an advisory as the same thing happened with me. I took all 4 signals off the bike a fitted bar end ones so only had two which had less resistance and mad them flash fast but my MOT guy only stuck them down as an advisory.

Ok cheers for the help :) i will time it tomorrow before i take it out for the first time. :D god I have missed bikes haha

Buy resistors and put them in-line (parallel) at each light, and this will fix your fast flash. You can find 25w load resistors for around $1-$2 on ebay.

Btw you have hand signals as backups too, you don't even need lit up signals here in Ontario.