Kick Start Not Returning

RickGM
This post is 3667 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As the title says. Took my 1980 DT175MX out today for a 20 mile trip. Everything was great apart from front right indicator not working, 2t oil level light on, oil being pushed out of top of crank case/clutch housing(I think that's what it is) and just as I got back, went to put it away and the kick start jammed in the down position! Eventually got it off the spline and the shaft spun back to where it should be. Reassembled (without the ball bearing and spring which I hadn't noticed had fallen out) only for it to do the same again. Happy days! Any advice what might be causing the kick start shaft to lock.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-dt175h-1981_model8795/partslist/B-05.html

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye rick , get the clutch cover off, you"l see what jamming it, :eusa_think: And the oil out the breather ,sounds like gearbox over filled,,

So ...a spare hour and the kick start shaft is out and the main culprit exposed. It's no 3 on the schematic which was in 2 parts lying in the bottom of the clutch case housing.;-

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-dt175h-1981_model8795/partslist/B-05.html

4 and 5 are absent without leave but on the basis that all was working OK and there's no debris that looks like them in the bottom of the clutch housing, I guess they're not essential.

Question is can you guys recommend the best place for parts - the clip and clutch case gasket. CMS where the link takes you to appear to have both, wermoto have the gasket but not the clip. Oil pump cover gasket also (although I may just get away with the one that's on.

:crazy: What??? 4 and 5 are absent without leave but on the basis that all was working OK and there's no debris that looks like them in the bottom of the clutch housing, I guess they're not essential. :crazy:

Yamaha dose not put parts in that are not essential,,, either get all the parts and fix it right or buy super glue and glue all your tools to the tools box save for the hammer they arent essential either.

I cant help with where to find the parts but if your not going to fix it right then just throw the kick start away plug the hole and bump start it,the kicker broke because some baffoon put it together wrong in the first place

Sounds a reasonable enough bit of logic even though I have only got a hammer in my toolkit.

It's a case of being able to locate everything but hopefully ....

I've owned the bike for just over a year without a problem (well without a kickstart problem). Your bump start was exactly what I used to do with my DT 30 years ago which when I bought it had only half a kickstart until I got a bit welded on! I did do exactly the same yesterday but wouldn't fancy it after a stall in the middle of the city (plus I'm far too old to be messing about like that)

hadnt read this properly, of course 4+5 should be there, that'll give enough room for springs to jump out of place. I think I have a spare assembly at work

***Tip***

If like me you re-use good gaskets, take a lot of care with the kickstart return spring when removing/replacing the clutch cover...It easily jumps out of its locating hole in the crankcase and tears the gasket on its travels

That's exactly what happened when I removed it. It had stayed put almost all round except there and of course it chopped through it as I pulled the shaft out.

That's exactly what happened when I removed it. It had stayed put almost all round except there and of course it chopped through it as I pulled the shaft out.

sorry I was a bit late mate but you should have taken off the spring tension before withdrawing the shaft...that was just muppetry :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online