issues with my new Bolt!!!

x-kid
This post is 3472 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After some advice really. I have just got my new Bolt, and I am having a lot of problems with the clutch and throttle response. Firstly the clutch, the bite point seems to be only a millimeter wide, once it bites there is no more play at all!!! It's just all or nothing, and secondly is the throttle response, traveling at 30mph and roll off the throttle for, say a parked car, or something causes the bike to lurch quite badly and it's the same with rolling it on aswell. I've never had a fuel injected bike before but the one I test rode wasn't like this!!! Is it just me??? Or could there be issues with it, don't want to look stupid going back to the dealer, only to be told it's fine. I've done 92 miles on it and to be honest, I don't want to ride it, as roundabouts and slow speed riding are pretty damn scary!!! Any advice welcome.

X-kid

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well it could be you I suppose but others would have said the same and if you have not heard anything then I would bet it's the bike, what's the worst that could happen if you took it back? they might think your a dick but if it has a problem and you Stuff it into the tarmac then you will feel a dick for not returning it, go back and ask then you will know instead of worrying about it.

Silly question - I assume you've been riding several years? Tried many other bikes in that time?

It could just be breaking in, it could just be you not used to the controls and setup/feel, it could need minor adjustment to your specific requirements... or it could be a turkey that needs taking back.

Do the cheapest/easiest stuff first - Take it back and see what they say. Point out that it's not like the test bike.

Let us know how you get on.

I haven't ridden for about three years, but like I say I test rode one of these, along with a Harley iron and a triumph speedmaster and none of them felt like my bike does, it's been Sat in the garage for 3.days as I don't really want to ride it

The problems you describe seem to appear often in forums I have read. It appears to be common with Yamaha V twins. There is a modified clutch lever for the V-Star range which some riders in the US swear by. (The Clever Lever) The accelerator touchyness has also been mentioned but I don't recall any fix for that apart from a larger diameter after market grips. I found my XVS650 a little that way on both accounts but after putting on a number of kilometers I am used to it and don't like the idea of the mods. I have been riding for years and all bikes have their own idiosyncrasies to contend with.

Does the clutch have any adjustment in it?

Could be worth altering that, for the biting point issue you're having.

The throttle... Whenever you simply let go of the throttle on a V-Twin, it will lurch forward (or rather throw you forward), as that is the nature of engine braking on a vehicle with lots of low-end torque. Consequently, whazzing it open and feeling the reverse is also a feature of low-end torque. That's the raw muscle of a Cruiser and one reason we love them so much!! :)

Give it another go, but be properly gentle on the controls.

As I recall, you're around Reading somewhere?

If you like, I can nip round or meet you somewhere local this weekend and have a look at the bike, offer a second opinion?

As I recall, you're around Reading somewhere?

If you like, I can nip round or meet you somewhere local this weekend and have a look at the bike, offer a second opinion?

go on tasky, your dying to have a go :)

Thanks for all the replies guys, and thanks for the offer to take a look Ttaskmaster. I took it to the dealer who gave it a once over and regreased the clutch and throttle cables, the result...... It now rides like a dream!!! Once again thanks for all the advice. Still up for meeting if you are Ttaskmaster.

• Like 1

I might be about this coming weekend (22nd-23rd). Depends what goes wrong at work this week.

• 6 months later...

Totaly late to this topic. But im glad you got the bike sorted. Im considering one of these bikes how is it now after 6 months ? Has it been reliable? Do you go on many ridouts? Also i live inear reading not a yamaha dealer in town anymore. So whos closest?

I'm glad you got it sorted Tim. It seams to be a 950 thing my mates got the XVS version and the clutch had to be altered to work correctly now far smoother in operation.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online