YBR 125 whirring noise when warm

Chazillor
This post is 3692 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, I've come back for a bit of advice on my little ybr.

I've got it up to 23 k miles now and in the last week I've noticed a whirring type noise coming from the left hand side (chain side) of the engine when its warm (can't notice it when its cold)

Also when I turn it off it makes a final whirr, kind of like when you press the button to turn a hoover on but not hard enough so it just goes for a second, that sort of whirring/motor type noise (sorry thats the best way I can describe it)

Now I have tried turning the bike off with it in gear and the clutch held in so I doubt its anything in the gearbox, likewise I don't think its anything in the clutch.

Where it only happens when its warm could it be something cam chain related with the engine expanding?

Thanks in advance :-)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When I was a young man, a long time ago, I had a woman bring in her car cos she had a rattle, long story short a marble in the ash tray !!! But it cost her a fortune cos it took so long to find, my point is unless you can describe it EXACTLY your going to be looking forever and possibly never figure it out, a noise like a vacuum cleaner and only when it's warm is good but not really descriptive ! If your really worried then take it to your local bike shop and see if they can tell you what it is but if it runs and ride ok then ask yourself does it really matter? Has it been serviced recently ? or have you taken anything off ? it might be air getting in or out it might be a timing issue to be honest if your worried take it to someone who can tell you what it is.

When I was a young man, a long time ago, I had a woman bring in her car cos she had a rattle, long story short a marble in the ash tray !!! But it cost her a fortune cos it took so long to find, my point is unless you can describe it EXACTLY your going to be looking forever and possibly never figure it out, a noise like a vacuum cleaner and only when it's warm is good but not really descriptive ! If your really worried then take it to your local bike shop and see if they can tell you what it is but if it runs and ride ok then ask yourself does it really matter? Has it been serviced recently ? or have you taken anything off ? it might be air getting in or out it might be a timing issue to be honest if your worried take it to someone who can tell you what it is.

I described the issue as best I could narrowed it down as much as I could, and gave an assumption that I was hoping might be confirmed but someone who had experienced similar. I wouldnt be asking for help if I didnt think it mattered mate :) I appreciate what you mean, but the least I can do is surely ask some friendly helpful people on the internet about it before I take it to a shop and get charged a fortune to fix something I could do myself?

Cheers

Sorry wasn't being nasty just trying to point out that it's a bit vague, it of course matters to you and as such my point about getting someone to hear it in a workshop was meant as friendly advice rather than sarcasm. If I pissed you off that was not my intention. :jossun:

No worries, its hard to get the right tone in writing. I intend to take it to a shop today only posting here in the hope that I might have some idea of what it might be rather than going in blind to advice which might be more motivated towards getting several hours of labour out of me than actually being helpful! I'm going to be getting rid of it in a few months so I'm not mega worried but I'd rather sell it to someone running properly :)

Have you checked if the spark plug is tight, that can give some odd sounds, also might be an idea to check to see if the head bolts are torqued up ok just a couple of suggestions not saying it is either of those but worth a try and will cost nothing to check.