Rusting Exhaust

david095
This post is 3669 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

How soon should you expect an exhaust to last before it starts rusting.

I purchased my Fazer 8 new June last year and whilst have ridden it in various conditions (weather wise that is!), the stock exhaust has started to rust where the mounting bracket is welded. I realise I made the mistake of not weather protecting the bike for winter riding and some of the connections etc have started to corrode, but what's the score on acceptable corrosion/rusting on a virtually new bike that hasn't even reached its firt service yet? It's been washed down regularly and garaged.

cheers

David

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sad thing about the exhaust is that its getting hot then cold etc all the time which is great for rust to get started, and witht he complete shity weather we have had it just sppeds this process up. It really dosn't take long for rust to get going so sticking a time line on it can vairy.

I would guss that all you have is just surface rust and not full on metal rot, so just get some green scotch bright or 800 grit wet and dry sand paper and take off that rust then stick some WD40 on it or AFC90 to protect it, it will smoke / steam when you start it up but will stop once the excess is burnt off.

Hi David, As Noise said you will find if you don't oil it or use something else to keep the wet out it will rust before you reach your back door, polish will work as well but your going to have to keep on top of it as we all know to well, the chrome on most bikes is crap anyway so if it gets really bad most of us paint it with HT paint and hope for the best. Not the answer you were looking for I bet but best idea as most bikers have been dealing with this since bikes were first made.

Dammed either way, 4stroke exhausts rot from the inside out. I bought a Suzuki with 1500 miles on it (9months old) and the exhaust was dead within 6 months (balance pipe disintegrated).

Longer trips help as they keep the moisture to a minimum.

I replaced it with a quality semi stainless unit that lasted the life of the bike (I put 30K on it) as the owner after me wrote it off. Twat.

cheers guys, it's not that I'm not unaccustomed to rot just that this is the first brand new bike I've owned so I 'know where it's been' and whilst I expected the alloy stuff to go off a bit, wasn't expecting it with an exhaust after less than 8 months especially as when it goes out it's for a minimum 30mile run and even though it's been getting wet, gritters haven't even been out that much yet. Perhaps it's because this is the first bike I've had that's got a stock exhaust on it - maybe that's the answer - any one got a loud stainless pipe they don't want????

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online